Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Lancaster 2020-21 school budget

Proposed Lancaster 2020-21 school budget

In a recently mailed letter from the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) President and Board of education residents are asked to support a 2020-21 proposed budget that would allow the district to continue to offer the same opportunities to our students that we have grown accustomed to providing. The proposed budget maintains all programs and staffing while reducing the tax rate.

I have been an avid supporter in approving the last 10 years of proposed budgets because the district had made great strides in achieving educational improvement success; success recognized on local and national levels.

I am dismayed by this years proposed budget by the increase in spending, estimated unfounded revenue sources, the disingenuous use of the ‘new’ tax rate percent and its use to estimate tax liability and the use of exemptions to justify a tax levy increase (4.62%) which is far above the 1.81% Consumer Price Index (tax cap).

At the May 11th board of education meeting, trustees adopted a $114.5 million spending plan that maintains all current educational offerings and instructional programs while remaining within the property tax levy cap limits.

The budget reflects an increase of 4.54 percent and calls for an estimated tax rate decrease of $3.03 per $1,000 for Lancaster. The 2019-20 tax rate was $17.92/$1,000 of assessed value, and the estimated 2020-21 tax rate is $14.89/$1,000 of assessed value. This estimated tax rate is the lowest rate in ten years. It is indeed. However, I have yet to talk to anyone whose assessment has not been increased from that of 10 years ago (last reassessment). And, the final assessment roll has yet to be finalized.

Where many low-income families and seniors are experiencing financial hardships, a proposed school budget with a 4.54% increase in spending is unacceptable. The Program Budget portion of the total budget increases in spending by 5.38% - 4.3% increase in instructional and non -instructional salaries and 5.21% in benefits for program functions. Equipment, contractual expenses including occupational therapy and tuition spending increases by 38.1% ($2.76 mil to $3.81 mil)?

The annual budget hearing will be held through video conference on June 1, 2020, at 7 pm. Video access instructions will be available on the districts website prior to the meeting.

Budget voting to take place by absentee ballot and by June 9, 2020.

Same old story. “We’re lowering the tax rate so we’re fiscally prudent & you should trust us.” NOT!! It’s the levy folks, it’s the levy!

Unhappy Not This Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    In a recently mailed letter from the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) President and Board of education residents are asked to support a 2020-21 proposed budget that would allow the district to continue to offer the same opportunities to our students that we have grown accustomed to providing. The proposed budget maintains all programs and staffing while reducing the tax rate.

I have been an avid supporter in approving the last 10 years of proposed budgets because the district had made great strides in achieving educational improvement success; success recognized on local and national levels.

I am dismayed by this years proposed budget by the increase in spending, estimated unfounded revenue sources, the disingenuous use of the ‘new’ tax rate percent and its use to estimate tax liability and the use of exemptions to justify a tax levy increase (4.62%) which is far above the 1.81% Consumer Price Index (tax cap).

At the May 11th board of education meeting, trustees adopted a $114.5 million spending plan that maintains all current educational offerings and instructional programs while remaining within the property tax levy cap limits.

The budget reflects an increase of 4.54 percent and calls for an estimated tax rate decrease of $3.03 per $1,000 for Lancaster. The 2019-20 tax rate was $17.92/$1,000 of assessed value, and the estimated 2020-21 tax rate is $14.89/$1,000 of assessed value. This estimated tax rate is the lowest rate in ten years. It is indeed. However, I have yet to talk to anyone whose assessment has not been increased from that of 10 years ago (last reassessment). And, the final assessment roll has yet to be finalized.

Where many low-income families and seniors are experiencing financial hardships, a proposed school budget with a 4.54% increase in spending is unacceptable. The Program Budget portion of the total budget increases in spending by 5.38% - 4.3% increase in instructional and non -instructional salaries and 5.21% in benefits for program functions. Equipment, contractual expenses including occupational therapy and tuition spending increases by 38.1% ($2.76 mil to $3.81 mil)?

The annual budget hearing will be held through video conference on June 1, 2020, at 7 pm. Video access instructions will be available on the districts website prior to the meeting.

Budget voting to take place by absentee ballot and by June 9, 2020.
    I agree with Lee. However a little historical context.. LCSD has always been lauded for its frugality in the ratios of per students expenses by State Auditors and the district has enjoyed tremendous success for its programs and academic standings. Teachers, administrators and others connected within the district have certainly stepped up during the last almost 90 days and will continue to do so to get to the end of the school year. Uncharted territories for all for sure. However, every walk of life has had to step up as well.

As a long time supporter of this District's previous budgets and programs during normal times , I was pleased and proud to do it. This time I feel administrators and the School Board misses the mark to understand the gravity of the proposed budget. To Lee C's point, it is disingenuous of the administration and Board to assert that this is the lowest tax rate in 10 years without more details. At the very least they should have coupled this "rosy" picture with the actual impact that anyone who realized a $10,000-75,000 or more re-assessment increase would be realizing under this "rosy" tax rate. As they say, "The devil is in the details". A personal example of this is examining my previous evaluation of $ 180K less the Star Program discount had me paying about $ 2,675 in school taxes. Under the proposed budget plan, my assessment was kicked up to $ 240K less a Star Program discount to $ 210K of assessed value. At the new "rosy" $ 14.89 per K tax rate, my tax bill will now be approximately $ 3,125. This is a $ 450 increase in taxes.

Personal situation aside, I spoke of this coming tsunami a few weeks ago thru this platform and my worst fears were realized. I believe shared sacrifice was required here. I saw that salaries for educators and administration and infrastructure services all increased rather than examine the potential for keeping these items at 2019-2020 levels. Granted state funding would still have left a shortfall, but without the realization that the community is requiring to step up to help pay for those shortfalls, the administration and School Board has continued to want to continue labor expectations and program continuance. Other portions within the budget were remaining flat or reduced. Items in the budget beyond their control is a necessary component that I understand that need to be paid for.

Students as well will have to understand that is a matter of economics, during a tough time. Programs and opportunities may have to be curtailed in the short term. Children who grew up during the Depression were part of the communities that required sacrifice. It's been pounded thru our heads during this experience, that we'll all get thru this together. Well I for one, for the first time will vote no to the proposed budget because of the way in which the budget was presented and assuming that community members will understand the impact recent re-assessments will have to their personal bottom line. Had the district provided examples of impacts to increased assessments to inform the community properly, I would have found it more palatable. By asserting that this proposed budget is the lowest tax rate is factually true, but is only a half truth. For this I cannot forgive the District I truly admire. NOT THIS TIME DISTRICT--SORRY!

A commentator posted this information on another social medium. I present the reader the posted information, without any comment from myself...

The Lancaster school district is trying to promote this budget as the lowest tax rate in 10 years. While that statement is true, it is also very misleading because the town of Lancaster just went to 100% full value assessment on properties. Previous years, properties were assessed at 77% value. So overnight property assessments went up 23%. So with this drastic increase in all property values, it lowered the tax rate. While the school district is patting themselves on the back over this ruse, the budget increase over last year is 4.58%, the largest increase in spending over the past 6 years. Be aware voters, you may live in another town, but you can probably bet that your municipality and school districts are going to pull the same stunt. Remember "Liar use number, but numbers don't lie".
    What I don't like is that there were no public hearings concerning the budget, due to the virus. Now they are going to have an online public hearing before the vote, but good luck on being able to ask any questions. Also I have inquired to the district as to who will be present during the mail in vote counting, and how are the counters going to be selected? The districts response was "we're still working on it". Okay, I understand this is all new to them, but the district has also had several weeks to address this process.

Today I received the LCS budget flyer and looked it over very closely. On page 9 under "Sample Tax Bill based on Property Values" the information there is very misleading and outright false. You'll see 4 columns listed there, showing the tax change based on the value of your residence. What you need to realize, is that a home assessed at 100k, 200k or 300k in 2019, wasn't assessed at full market value - like it is now under the current full value assessment in place in Lancaster. So for example, a house assessed at 100k in 2019, was only assessed at 77% of market value. But in 2020, that same house is assessed at full market value, or 100%, which is now assessed at 123K. 123 x $14.89 equals $1831.47, which is actually $342.47 higher than what the budget flyer states. That the homeowner would see a tax decrease of $303 is TOTALLY FALSE. A 200k home is now assessed at 246K and will see a tax bill of $684.94 higher than stated in the flyer, not a decrease of $606. A 300k residence will now be assessed as a 369k property and the tax bill will be $5494.41, not $4467 as stated in the budget flyer. An increase of $1027.41!
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Spot on, Walking Tall!

In reading your school budget posts over the years, we appear to be in agreement that we advocated for school budget approvals based on the district’s academic achievement accomplishments and for its being recognized statewide as being one of the most cost-efficient as well.

At a time when the country is going through a period of historic hardship, I look at this proposed budget as being nothing more than a wish list – no cuts to programs or staffing and with a 4.54% spending increase.

For the district to then estimate a tax rate when the reassessment appeal process has not been completed and where the final tax roll has not been determined is cavalier at best.

I would differ with the projected tax increases of the two posters. The great majority of taxpayers are going to see an increase in taxes – unlike the school district’s tax rate model presented. There will be a STAR / Enhanced STAR tax adjustment that will impact final tax liability. In my townhome community assessments increased from 38% to 70%. Some will see tax increases in the hundreds of dollars. Some in the community will see increases in the thousands.

The school district most likely will declare that an estimated 85% of the budget is mandated and the only way to cut spending is to cut programs and/or staffing. Taxpayers likewise have mandated living expenses they have to meet and have to make sacrifices in time of hardship. A school board member once remarked that if families gave up buying one pizza a month to pay for the proposed budget spending increase that year, the budget would be approved. Does he and/or other individuals in this town fail to realize there are families who wish they had the means to be able to purchase a pizza every month.

As Walking Tall so aptly put it, “Not this time.”

2020-21 STAR exemption

Enhanced exemption amount - $69,800 Basic STAR - $30,000
    https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/star14.htm

Maximum STAR savings

Enhanced STAR - $1,032. Basic STAR - $473.
    https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/muni14.htm

So, ($69,800 x $14.89)/1000=$1,039.32 We Enhanced STAR recipients
    don't get the full value of our exemption

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    2020-21 STAR exemption

Enhanced exemption amount - $69,800 Basic STAR - $30,000
    https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/star14.htm

Maximum STAR savings

Enhanced STAR - $1,032. Basic STAR - $473.
    https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/muni14.htm

So, ($69,800 x $14.89)/1000=$1,039.32 We Enhanced STAR recipients
    don't get the full value of our exemption
    Everything is fluid right now and estimates and claims are self-indulgent. The site you quoted from also has the following disclaimer:

The above exemption amounts were determined using the latest data available. As more current data becomes available these exemptions are subject to change.

If, in the future, a revised exemption is determined that differs by five percent or more than the exemption indicated, a new exemption will be recertified to that municipality.

Any recertification will occur before the last date allowed by law for the levy of school taxes.

Updated: April 21, 2020

It would be disappointing to learn that the result of a $286,000 reassessment program resulted in property owners receiving an Enhanced STAR tax reduction in the same amount as the previous year with a town 77% equalization rate.

Do the math

Do the math before you submit your 2020-21 Lancaster Central School District budget absentee ballot.

Examples have already been posted on this thread that indicate the increase in taxes coming from a ‘no cut to program and staff’ wish list budget. A budget with no definitive estimates and a disingenuous posting of a ‘lowest tax rate’ in ten years posit.

I had to explain to several homeowners what this 4.54% budget increase in spending meant for our community. According to discussions I had with the Town Assessor, hypothetically, any property owner with an assessment increase around 30% should see no tax increase – unless that tax increase was the result of a proposed budget change.

Several in our townhome community had their assessments increased from $141,000 to $195,000 – a 38% increase.

$141,000 X $17.92 per thousand dollars of assessment = $2,527.

$195,000 X $14.89 per thousand dollars of assessment = $2,904.

These unit owners will see a tax increase of $377 if this proposed budget is approved. The 8% increase in assessment translates to $204 of the $377 tax increase. The additional $173 increase translates to a 6.8% tax increase due to budget proposal.

Looking at another example posted on this thread, the individual’s assessment increased by 33% ($180,000 to $240,000). By comparing old vs new assessment and posted tax rates and data provided:

$180,000 X $17.92 per thousand = $3,226
    $240,000 X $14.89 per thousand = $3,574

An increase of $348. A 3% increase in taxes by assessment increase = $3,226 X 0.03 = $97. The $251 tax increase is due to school budget increase – 7.8%.

Some property owners will see some tax relief, many more will be hammered. Do the math before you submit your absentee budget ballot to see how this proposed budget impacts you personally.

As someone else posted - a budget advocate for years, 'not this time'.

Anyone who had an assessment increase of more than 20.5% would see a tax increase

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Anyone who had an assessment increase of more than 20.5% would see a tax increase
    Posted just as our LCSD ballots arrived!
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

% Tax levy increase
    2015-16 - 1.83
    2016-17 - 1.66
    2017-18 - 2.17
    2018-19 - 3.68
    2019-20 - 3.83

The estimated -

2020-21 - 4.6

Georgia L Schlager

Any explanation for the 38% increase in equipment/contractual expenses?

The following appeared in the Lancaster Bee on the Lancaster Central School District (LCSD) 2020-21 proposed budget:

Property tax is estimated at $56.9 million this year, an increase of $2.5 million, or 4.62%. This levy is under the tax cap. However, the tax rate per thousand is planned to decrease from $17.92 to $14.89 – the lowest tax rate per thousand since 2010-11, according to Phillips. This is a decrease of 16.91%, or $3.03 per thousand.

A Lancaster house valued at $300,000 would have paid $5,376 in 2019-20. If the property reevaluation has increased that house’s value to $350,000, its taxes would still decrease by $164 in 2020-21 due to the lower tax rate per thousand. However, some people will see an increase in taxes due to the recent change in property values.

Indeed, some people will see increases in school taxes - a significant increase. The example given by the District is ‘cherry picking’.

An individual in my own community emailed me to say that my analysis was wrong and that we will see no tax increase. For that individual’s benefit and others, the district itself suggests people figure out whether they will incur a tax increase / decrease by comparing their 2019 assessment and tax rate vs. the 2020 assessment and new tax rate.

My property example:

2019 assessment - $141,000
    2019 tax rate - $17.92 per thousand dollars of assessment
    Tax = $17.92 X 141 = $2,527

2020 assessment - $195,000
    2020 tax rate - $14,89 per thousand dollars of assessment
    Tax =$14.89 X 195 = $2,904

$2,904 - $2,527 = $377 tax increase

In a March letter from the Assessor’s office, it was hypothetically’ estimated That my school tax could increase by $223 because of the increase in assessment. Well, my tax increased by another $154. Am I incorrect for assuming that $154 increase is attributable to the tax increase from the proposed 2020-21 school budget? Tell me why!

I have been, historically, very proud of our district, but I am very disturbed about many things happening in the district.

1- We have had an extended period of "stay at home" and the kids and many curricula teachers have been going through a difficult time to continue the educational excellence that Lancaster has provided
    2- A good number of staff have had no responsibilities and have been home collecting full pay
    3- Those members of the staff that were requ
    ired to report earned a vacation day for each day of work.
    - Why did we not see furloughs?
    4- Lancaster provided thousands of free meals
    - Were all meals provided to qualified children?
    - Was this process managed in a financially prudent manner?
    - Did the district get appropriately reimbursed?
    5- The "notice" for board elections was not well publicized
    - One must question the insertion of Uteg Jr to replace his father
    - My contacts still have not identified where the notice, soliciting candidates, was published
    6- The budget announcement publicizied that the tax rate per thousand was historically the lowest requested
    - How disingenuous given the reassessment?
    - The presentation does not disclose the exposures, due to potential cuts in State contributions?
    - The presentation discloses no contingency plans,
    in the event Cuomo cuts the investment on education

In fact, it appears that the district is asking for one of the largest increases in the WNY area, to pass theoretical cuts to the public, with no apparent contingency to offset the impact the public

The final straw appears to be the manner in which our "mail in ballots" might be managed.

7- These ballots must be handled independently
    - the initial indication was that Erie County Board of Election nominees would handle the administration of the vote
    - Rumor suggests that an employee of the district will be primarily responsible
    - How does this appear, if accurate, to the public?
    - If accurate, would staff feel their vote would be confidential, or potentially coerced?

I have brimmed over, and apologize for the length communication

All seems to out of kilter, and that management recently is actually MISMANGEMENT, and is not a service to the students and the community

I welcome a retort to this communication

The perception is very poor, and earns no confidence. The perception establishes no confidence in the integrity of the budget and vote.

I cannot provide my support for the process or the budget.

It's a No Vote from me
    Last edited by lord Geof; June 3rd, 2020 at 08:08 PM.

According to today’s Buffalo News report on upcoming school budgets:

Of the 37 school district budgets up for approval, Lancaster is third highest in spending increase. 2020-21 Budget - $114,492,104. 2019-20 Budget - $109,519,879. Increase - $4,972,225; 4.54%.

Revenue uncertainty

One revenue, sales tax, is way down because stores and restaurants were closed in March, and no one knows when sales might rebound.

The largest revenue source is state aid, but the threat of mid-year cuts in funding looms because of the economic downturn. Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo has predicted a reduction of 20% in school aid unless the federal government provides special pandemic funding.

Districts don't know what would happen if a budget is defeated, because the state did not set a date for a revote.

Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda School District is cutting 12 positions for next year, said John Brucato, assistant superintendent for finance.

"If funding doesn't come in the way we project, we’ll have to use our fund balance to plug that hole," Bruato said. "We’ve been diligent about building up reserves and fund balance exactly for moments like this."

Absentee ballot voting

This year, every vote will be cast with a mail-in ballot. Ballots must be received in district offices by 5 p.m. Tuesday. The annual vote that was to be held May 19 was postponed to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The ballots are mailed to the Lancaster Central School District office. Who counts the ballots and will ‘independent oversight’ be present to ensure veracity?

School Board budget hearing

Unable to listen in on the teleconference school budget hearing Monday evening as I was listening to the town board meeting, I have no idea how that went. It is my understanding that a video of the hearing will be made available on the District’s website sometime this week. Considering many absentee ballots have already been mailed in, a little late in coming and of little value.

Lowest tax rate in 10 years

The school district is touting the tax rate being the lowest in 10 years – since last reassessment. But, has the assessment roll been finalized when assessment appeals have not been heard yet?

The district gives an example of a house assessed at $300,000, increased to $350,000, and seeing a tax decrease of $164. It then adds that some property owners may see a tax increase due to the change in property values. Yes indeed they will. My school taxes are increasing by $377 - $223 increase from reassessment, $154 from school budget. My spouse and my Social Security increased by $340. Retirees and low-income families are expected to dip into their savings – if they have any to support a budget that boasts no cuts in staffing or programs.

The District is projecting a Fund Balance Use of $8.88 million. In years past that total was near $11 million. What’s left in reserves?

New Group Home expenditure

The budget includes a $1.2 million expense in special education tuition and service due to a new group home in the area. Some of this expense will be offset by state aid next year, but there are too many factors to predict what percentage will be aided.

New? From a January 2019 Buffalo News article: https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/30/l...me-in-village/

The two-story, seven-bedroom home on Aurora Street will be home for five children with intellectual disabilities.

$1.2 million to educate five children with intellectual disabilities?

This group home was approved by the Village of Lancaster in January 2019. Yet, the property at 38 Aurora Street did not sell until 05/02/19 for $192,000. ????

Contingency Budget

If this budget proposal gets voted down a ‘contingency’ budget is being considered. This budget would call for no tax levy increase; but does add $2.46 million in spending (a 2,25% increase) instead of a $4.97 million budget increase (4.54%). It should also be voted down. This is the year for an austerity budget – FREEZE!

I will watch the video of the budget public hearing when it becomes available on the District’s website – not that it matters much as my ‘no’ vote has already been cast. I understand the hearing was presented on ‘zoom’; an app which many of us do not have and which disallowed us the opportunity to. participate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information