Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LHS ranked in top 9% of high schools nationally

LHS ranked in top 9% of high schools nationally

Reported in the Lancaster Bee

Lancaster High School has been ranked in the top 9% of high schools nationally, placing 1,584 out of 17,792 schools in a list made by U.S. News.

“It doesn’t just start at the high school,” said Andy Kufel, assistant superintendent for curriculum, instruction and PPS. “We are constantly working towards alignment from K-12.”

About 10 to 15 years ago, Lancaster shifted its focus to prioritize preparation for the kids’ post-high school plans.
    “It’s all just about supporting our students at their level,” Kufel said. And the shift in focus still leaves Lancaster with a high graduation rate of 98%, according to the numbers from U.S. News.

At nearly 2,000 students, Lancaster is one of the biggest comprehensive high schools in WNY – a point of pride for the district. But the wide variety of student opportunities really makes the district stand out, according to Kufel.

U.S. News gave LHS an overall score of 91.1, using information from the 2017-18 school year.

More numbers and details on the school’s ranking are available at usnews.com/education/best-high-schools /new-york/districts/lancaster-central-school-district/lancaster-high-school-13816.

Comment

Well done LHS! It was the right time for some good news!

I'm sure the teachers will be rewarded for their hard work with the second pay freeze in a decade.

A little comparison to a few of the other locals that I could think of.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Reported in the Lancaster Bee

Lancaster High School has been ranked in the top 9% of high schools nationally, placing 1,584 out of 17,792 schools in a list made by U.S. News.

“It doesn’t just start at the high school,” said Andy Kufel, assistant superintendent for curriculum, instruction and PPS. “We are constantly working towards alignment from K-12.”

About 10 to 15 years ago, Lancaster shifted its focus to prioritize preparation for the kids’ post-high school plans.
    “It’s all just about supporting our students at their level,” Kufel said. And the shift in focus still leaves Lancaster with a high graduation rate of 98%, according to the numbers from U.S. News.

At nearly 2,000 students, Lancaster is one of the biggest comprehensive high schools in WNY – a point of pride for the district. But the wide variety of student opportunities really makes the district stand out, according to Kufel.

U.S. News gave LHS an overall score of 91.1, using information from the 2017-18 school year.

More numbers and details on the school’s ranking are available at usnews.com/education/best-high-schools /new-york/districts/lancaster-central-school-district/lancaster-high-school-13816.

Comment

Well done LHS! It was the right time for some good news!

Relax. Cuomo, Bill and Melinda Gates want to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Relax. Cuomo, Bill and Melinda Gates want to get rid of it.
    Get rid of what?

Surely you saw stories about Cuomo partnering with the Gates’s to get rid of schools and classrooms and switch to online learning. And don’t worry, it won’t be based exclusively on Microsoft products and there won’t be kickbacks to state officials.

Surely you saw stories about Cuomo partnering with the Gates’s to get rid of schools and classrooms and switch to online learning. And don’t worry, it won’t be based exclusively on Microsoft products and there won’t be kickbacks to state officials.
    Honestly, I haven’t paid much attention to that as I find it is a futile concept for myriad reasons.

I have been more tuned in to the absurdity of the Covid-19 political blame game, the devastating economic decline, the evidence of abuse of power in the former Obama administration and the Democratic left (Schiff belongs in jail), the two-faced / lying intelligence agents and the biased media.

As for 'nursing home' Cuomo, I am not a fan for myriad reasons. Another political BS empty suit.

Lee, Cuomo has proven that he is far too dangerously irresponsible to be considered just an empty suit. Ask the families of the thousands of dead nursing home patients whose deaths are on hm.

Lee, Cuomo has proven that he is far too dangerously irresponsible to be considered just an empty suit. Ask the families of the thousands of dead nursing home patients whose deaths are on hm.
    Cuomo gets a pass on a lot of his deficiencies because he governs a Blue State and gets support from a biased liberal media. His nursing home mandate was a travesty. His whining and blame game antics on so many Covid-19 positions / postulations were ill-founded.

As a Quality engineer who dealt in risk and cost-benefit analysis, I found this report in today’s Buffalo News relevant.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...57m-story.html

Recognizing that not all rules are created equal is acknowledging that there’s no such thing as zero risk. Andrew Cuomo knows this. He should speak and act accordingly.

Not looking forward to a long ass swab up my nose twice a week
    It's like he's over compensating for his Effed up march 25th directive to accept COvid patients

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Not looking forward to a long ass swab up my nose twice a week
    It's like he's over compensating for his Effed up march 25th directive to accept COvid patients
    Many that I know did not understood at the time, nor still understand, the Cuomo directive of March 25th Gorja.

I have an elderly cousin who was a head nurse at Saint Joe's for many, many years. Her doctor is a brother; her children are medical professionals, and they all scratched their heads.

She was in a rehab facility and managed to escape one day before Cuomo's ill-fated directive came down. Fortunately, the facility she was in is top-notch with an excellent, dedicated staff.

(I also have some serious questions regarding some policies involving certain group homes.)

I am however reluctant to strictly confine my criticism to Cuomo.

I think he is a dictator, a bully, and the ultimate control-freak politician, but surely he relied on what he thought to be sound professional advise. For the time being, I feel that he got his caught in a ringer, much the same way that I think President Trump has not been entirely well-served by the likes of Pope Fauci and Cardinal Birx.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 10th, 2020 at 03:35 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Mark, I think those advising Trump are head and shoulders above the guy advising our governor. Jesus, if I were governor and my health commissioner advised me to put patients with active corona infections in nursing homes I’d try to get his medical license revoked! Don’t forget, at the same time as the nursing home debacle, he ordered emergency responders in NYC to stand there and watch cardiac patients die if they went into arrest. To their everlasting credit emergency responders totally ignored the idiocy and it was withdrawn in 24 hours! As one responder put it “we’re trained to save people not to stand there and watch them die.” Not for nothing did the N.Y. Post call him Dr Death.

Don’t forget, at the same time as the nursing home debacle, he ordered emergency responders in NYC to stand there and watch cardiac patients die if they went into arrest. To their everlasting credit emergency responders totally ignored the idiocy and it was withdrawn in 24 hours! As one responder put it “we’re trained to save people not to stand there and watch them die.” Not for nothing did the N.Y. Post call him Dr Death.
    My bad Grump, I actually did forget about the cardiac patients; beyond disgraceful. If that were a Trump policy, he would have applying mandatory euthanasia.

As for the President's team, I am really very skeptical about Fauci, whose past associations with the Carnegie Foundation make me raise both eyebrows. He also seems to be enjoying these circumstances and the limelight a little, just my opinion.

I am not saying Fauci is incompetent by any means Grump, but given his many past comments (along with his past associations) which provided the Main Stream Media and the Democrats with soundbites, unless he wants a Trump-Fauci controversy to start, he does need to weigh his words more carefully.

Reference: https://www.carnegie.org/news/articl...-philanthropy/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 10th, 2020 at 07:48 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Many that I know did not understood at the time, nor still understand, the Cuomo directive of March 25th Gorja.

I have an elderly cousin who was a head nurse at Saint Joe's for many, many years. Her doctor is a brother; her children are medical professionals, and they all scratched their heads.

She was in a rehab facility and managed to escape one day before Cuomo's ill-fated directive came down. Fortunately, the facility she was in is top-notch with an excellent, dedicated staff.

(I also have some serious questions regarding some policies involving certain group homes.)

I am however reluctant to strictly confine my criticism to Cuomo.

I think he is a dictator, a bully, and the ultimate control-freak politician, but surely he relied on what he thought to be sound professional advise. For the time being, I feel that he got his caught in a ringer, much the same way that I think President Trump has not been entirely well-served by the likes of Pope Fauci and Cardinal Birx.
    Bear in mind, I have no issue being tested for the safety of my residents.
    It's the twice a week order.

Georgia L Schlager

Remote learning

https://buffalonews.com/2020/05/11/a...mote-teaching/

But remote learning still varies widely depending on the school or the teacher or the grade. Educators describe some fundamental issues that schools are going to have to address moving forward, raising questions about how well this can work in the long term.

“If it has to happen it has to happen,” Stuhlmiller said. “But the real quality that public education brings to kids is going to be diminished significantly if this becomes the new norm.”

“I just don’t think the K through 12 system is ready for that complete turnover,” said Paul Casseri, superintendent of the Lewiston-Porter Central School District.”
    One of the issues moving forward with remote learning is it’s based on assumptions that moms and dads will still be home to provide the support that kids need, Stuhlmiller said. “And those are big assumptions,” he said.

Comment

IMHO, home instruction will never happen long term, especially grades K-12 and with the assumption a skilled and nurturing parent(s) will be home.

There already is an integrated system in place using classroom Internet teaching programs.

The continuing dumbing down of America and vanishing of a social skill learning environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information