Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asparagus Recipes

Asparagus Recipes

Grilled asparagus:

drizzle light olive oil
    dash it with rock salt and ground pepper
    grill for 2 - 3 minutes on the grill at high heat

OMG so good. Grill until otherwise the tenderness you prefer

Anyone have another asparagus recipe? I love this vegetable.

I steam it in the microwave with the glad bags, although I am investing in that device that cookie put up a link for eventually. I love steamed veggies and I like to it the easiest way possible. Aspargus cookers are nice too, but I prefer the microwave steaming. I put it under the recommended time on the package though, about 30 seconds less than suggested.
    “Two percent of the people think; three percent of the people think they think; and ninety-five percent of the people would rather die than think.”

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Grilled asparagus:

drizzle light olive oil

Short did you really mean "rock salt"? Or is it kosher or sea salt? I thought rock salt is for deicing sidewalks although you do use it in some of the old manual ice cream makers.

For grilled aspargus I pretty much follow the same recipe as above except I blanch the aspargus for about 3 minutes and then shock before grilling. And I agree the grilling adds a whole new dimension to my favorite veggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud B Boomer View Post
    Short did you really mean "rock salt"? Or is it kosher or sea salt? I thought rock salt is for deicing sidewalks although you do use it in some of the old manual ice cream makers.

For grilled aspargus I pretty much follow the same recipe as above except I blanch the aspargus for about 3 minutes and then shock before grilling. And I agree the grilling adds a whole new dimension to my favorite veggie.
    OMG you are right, I meant sea salt....oops....but oh didn't think about blanching them.

Also I love steamed vege's too but I like to shake it up a bit. Now does anyone have a recipe that calls for baking the asparagus?

Sauté in olive oil with chopped garlic. Yum.

Asparagus, Parmesan and Gruyere Tart

Ingredients:

* 1 store bought 9×9 piece of Puff Pastry
    * 1/2 cup Gruyere, shredded
    * 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
    * 1 bundle skinny asparagus
    * salt
    * pepper
    * 2 tbsp olive oil

Directions:

Preheat oven according to puff pastry directions. Thaw the puff pastry according to the manufacturers directions. Once thawed. Sprinkle half of the cheeses onto the puff pastry. Line the asparagus on top of the cheese. Scatter the rest of the cheese on top of the asparagus and drizzle with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20 minutes until the pastry dough has puffed and the asparagus is roasted and cooked through.

If you like quiche, adding asparagus puts it on a whole new plane!

I cook mine in a skillet- add water to cover, bring to boil, when the aparagus turns bright green, it's done! Hubby likes hollandaise on his, I like a nice honey dijon sauce.

Also, if you like pasta salad- pasta of your choice, asparagus (chopped up), grape tomatoes, julienned gruyere or swiss, maybe some crumbled bacon, some vinaigrette... mmmmm

Now I gotta go sit at the Vet's office drooling more than my very drooly pup!!

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Grilled asparagus:

drizzle light olive oil

Do the same in the oven instead of on the grill - about 15 mins, but skip the "rock salt"

Love working with light olive oils to enhance the foods I prepare. These recipes everyone has shared is amazing. I will definately try each one.

I also like steaming the vege's in foil laced with olive oils and grated cheese and a dash of garlic powder (if I'm too lazy to do the fresh garlic) and put it on the top grate of the grill and let it steam while I am grillin' the steaks...Oh it so good...

It is amazing how we can make vegetables the fav in a meal...

All the asparagus talk got me needing a fix! Saturday I ate a whole bunch all by myself. Steamed and plain- no salt, no oil, no sauce, no cheese, just pure and amazingly tasty asparagus.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    All the asparagus talk got me needing a fix! Saturday I ate a whole bunch all by myself. Steamed and plain- no salt, no oil, no sauce, no cheese, just pure and amazingly tasty asparagus.
    Awesome, I have a question, has anyone tried the white asparagus? Does it taste the same?

I've heard it is milder than green, but I had some a few weeks ago and it was on the bitter side. I don't think I'll try it again.

I've heard it is milder than green, but I had some a few weeks ago and it was on the bitter side. I don't think I'll try it again.
    OK good to know. I wondered, the color just didn't thrill me. The course tomorrow is grilled asparagus and grilled chicken filets....mmmmmmmmmm

Now you guys did it. I'm really hungry for asparagus cooked anyway possible, it is so expensive though but I love it.

I agree... I am not a fan of white. I thought it was a little bitter and tougher than the green.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information