Thread: School District Budget--Tsunami coming

School District Budget--Tsunami coming

With the impending shortfall to funding of schools and the lack of clarity with sales tax revenues to help support schools, there is a tsunami on the horizon not just for Lancaster residents but state wide school districts. Doomsday forecasts for school funding must have superintendents and business mangers of the districts shaking in their boots. The answer will lie in leadership and sound fiscal management keeping operating programs to those deemed vital and review to possible hiatus or removal of those programs deemed a luxury. The state must provide mandate relief as well to help districts have less to fund as well.

Times are tough and all must be aware of impending sacrifice. Like the community the districts are in, the taxpayers of that community have suffered greatly from job losses, furloughs and relative uncertainty as to what happens next. No guarantees that jobs will be returning in many circles. It is my hope that all members within the districts payroll, realize this community pain and be willing to accept what leadership and budget managers propose as way to balance their books, keeping a weary taxpayer constituency in mind when asked for cost reductions and dare I say it.. a freeze at least in current contractual obligations in all salaries. This should be asked of from all players across the board including superintendents, support staffs and educators. It will be very interesting to see how the taxpaying public will be asked to shoulder their share of the new burden against the impending increases to contracts that are currently in place. IMHO --all spending should be frozen to 2019-20 school levels at base minimum.

I trust that the great administrators and stewards of our tax dollars will take a hard look at how to balance hits to wallets of the community while taking a hard look at programs and contractual obligations that could be reviewed. This crisis will force the districts across the states to re-examine school programs that can be suspended for a time and that employees share in same sacrifice that the rest of the state's population has experienced.

Or tiny cuts to medicaid would solve the problem state wide.

[QUOTE=yaksplat;1923476]Or tiny cuts to medicaid would solve the problem state wide.[/QUOTE

Ok we have supplied 10,000 meals, some for those that didn't previously qualify for assistance

And we appear to have employees sitting at home and doing nothing, while receiving full pay(not all by any means).

I hope, given the state cuts projected, that our super and chief financial officer are looking for budget saves.

I hope union employees getting those pay checks are preparing to give back contract raises for the benefit of the district and those suffering in the community.

The district needs some concessions to keep our community afloat in these painfully and true scary times

Everyone be safe and healthy, and we will get through this as Lancaster is strong and resilient

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Or maybe quit giving medicaid to illegals and immigrants that have never paid into the system - that might help !
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Like how tiny of a cut to do you think would make a difference?

Including federal funding, NY spends 77 Billion on Medicaid. I've spent a decade working in medical insurance in NY. You have companies like Fidelis who literally hunt down people to sign up, just so they can get their check per member, per month. There's a reason why fidelis blew up into a multi-billion dollar company in the last decade. It's all being sucked out of NY's budget.

[QUOTE=lord Geof;1923506]
    Or tiny cuts to medicaid would solve the problem state wide.[/QUOTE

Ok we have supplied 10,000 meals, some for those that didn't previously qualify for assistance

And we appear to have employees sitting at home and doing nothing, while receiving full pay(not all by any means).

I hope, given the state cuts projected, that our super and chief financial officer are looking for budget saves.

I hope union employees getting those pay checks are preparing to give back contract raises for the benefit of the district and those suffering in the community.

The district needs some concessions to keep our community afloat in these painfully and true scary times

Everyone be safe and healthy, and we will get through this as Lancaster is strong and resilient
    I hope you're not referring to teachers here. The amount of work that many of them are doing right now exceeds the normal school year. There are some outliers here. I mean honestly, how do you expect a gym teacher to remote teach? At this point, all of the teachers that teach non-core competencies should be acting as support staff to those who do.

Thread Information