Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York State...it's gonna hurt.

WNY, it happened over time but NFTA didn’t know it was happening. Actually, the population has dropped significantly since the subway opened. I rode it regularly for years in the 90s but, as downtown died in the aftermath of the subway’s construction and opening, fewer regular people rode it and it was taken over by people with chemical dependencies and mental health issues and thugs from the Buffalo schools. They drove the normal people off and as a rule they don’t pay.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It is odd what happened to downtown. My grand father would always take the long way home as we drove through Buffalo. He was always pointing out things that "used to be" when he was younger. Most all the shopping that was down town. Malls hurt downtown and now the internet hurt what was left. His big thing were the street cars. He said they pulled up all the tracks so people had to use buses.

I was working downtown while NFTA systematically destroyed it by building the subway. I remember when they tore up Washington Street and uncovered and removed the rails from the old street car system.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    You'd think if subway/electric is the way to go why did they pull up the original system. Someone connected politically must have sold bus parts.

This whole virus thing should call a lot of beloved ideas of the totalitarians into question. One example is that sprawl isn’t only wasteful but that’s it’s somehow immoral. Suddenly we learned that people forced to ride elevators in those overpriced urban apartments and forced to shop in jammed up urban retail established and wanting to take a walk in the park were putting their lives and the lives of their neighbors in danger. Suddenly, riding public transit in anything less than a hazmat suit is a selfish act putting yourself and others in danger. Turns out living in the suburbs with your own backyard and your own private transportation ain’t so bad.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Now you are just being a complete wise ass

The whole virus thing should call into question What do many of the government items we pay for actually do? Specially when the state is on shut down. What are missing? Nothing for the most part. Yes we need fire protection, a place to put the bad people etc... but have you looked at see throughny lately? It's insane what we are paying people in government.

I don't know how they justify this.

http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/state-government

Or this

http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/public-authorities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information