Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Town’s response to Covid-19 crisis

Town’s response to Covid-19 crisis

At Monday evening’s town board meeting, in his official report Supervisor Ronald Ruffino declared his ‘loaf of bread statement’ was taken out of context. His point was using an analogy to describe the seriousness of Covid-19 and steps the town would use to combat the spread of the virus in Lancaster.

He also announced recent national, state and county statistics regard confirmed cases and deaths. He only provided information on the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in Lancaster – 95.

At the public comment session, I asked Supervisor Ruffino on whether there were any incidents where citations were issued to individuals violating the ‘gatherings’ mandate he had proposed at the last board meeting. He reported: “None that I know of.” Code Enforcement Officer Matt Fischione reported three incidents where contractors were contacted and the situation was remedied, No police report was given despite the fact that Ruffino focused on the police departments support in cracking down on ‘gathering’ violators,

When asked whether the town would be enforcing the newly mandated wearing of face masks, Ruffino declared he didn’t know how to answer yet as the mandate just went into effect. We both agreed on the importance of wearing face coverings in confined locations. Wegmans and Tops stated they would continue to serve customers not wearing masks.

When asked for specifics regarding the reported 95 Lancaster confirmed Covid-19 cases, Ruffino declared that the county would not provide any other information to the town except the number of confirmed cases. He stated that Emergency Management Coordinator Ron Rozler had been trying to get more details but was rebuffed by the Erie County Health Department.

Rozler remarked that the county would not release information other than numbers of individuals testing positive to ensure personal privacy. HIPA regulations were also mentioned as reasons for information denial. Rozler added that the town only found out about the nine nursing facility deaths through a recent Buffalo News report.

I stated my disappointment in not getting specifics and declared that Lancaster residents had a right and a need for such information to determine how impacted the town is by the virus and its severity in order to make good decisions on taking risks leaving their homes for what they consider ‘essential’ reasons.

How safe is my town? Of those 95 confirmed cases (and we know there have been many more untested cases):

• How many deaths – other than the nine from the nursing facility

• How many hospitalizations

• How many in ICU – on ventilators

• Are the 46 confirmed nursing home cases included in the 95 total

The town and its residents have a right to this information. The town should demand this information and post it on its website.

As in the county, Lancaster’s confirmed Covid-19 case numbers are trending upward. What is the significance of the increase? How safe am I conducting business in Lancaster and what precautionary best practices should I be following? What is going on in my town?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    At Monday evening’s town board meeting, in his official report Supervisor Ronald Ruffino declared his ‘loaf of bread statement’ was taken out of context. His point was using an analogy to describe the seriousness of Covid-19 and steps the town would use to combat the spread of the virus in Lancaster.
    The comment as I understand it, appeared within the boundaries of a Lancaster Bee story concerning Lancaster's enforcement of "Pause" policies, and as such, do not seem to have been taken out of context.

(I note parenthetically that the Lancaster Bee, to the best of my knowledge, has not corrected a misquote, or otherwise presented with clarification, the "intended" comment within Mr. Ruffino's suggested original, accurate context.)

At this point, I am willing to hold that the comment was a sloppy, if not reckless, application of a metaphor suggesting a prohibition on the purchase of essential and basic human needs, and were not "intended" at to be taken at face value.

That is why some sought clarification.

As I previously posted:

A clumsy attempt at a cute metaphor would be a venial sin; forgiveness quite understandable.
    Perhaps words that would have highlighted the urgent need for food and bread, to the exclusion of truly non-essential purchases such as lottery tickets, would have resulted in a supportive public understanding of his comments?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 21st, 2020 at 02:29 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

What I learned today

In Georgia and South Carolina, Republican governors announced they'll ease restrictions this week despite neither meeting White House recommendations of a two-week downward trend in cases before lifting measures in phases.

CDC director warns second wave of coronavirus this winter could be worse

Trump meets with Cuomo. Trump didn't communicate any specific timeline for New York to reopen. Cuomo said it is New York’s goal to double testing in New York state from 20,000 to 40,000 per day. Virus experts declare inconsistent results in anti-body testing – too many false positives, too many false negatives.

WNY at peak level now for the last 5 days with no curve trending down.

County Executive Mark Poloncarz reported today:

The latest hospitalization case data for Erie County hospitals is trending in the wrong direction.

Latest Covid-19 hospital admissions for Erie County hospitals through April 19 indicates that the highest number of Covid-19 patients admitted on April 19 (247).

There was a slight reduction in ICU beds (114), though an increase in ICU airway assists to 95. Deaths was 8.

When comparing admissions to discharges, April 19 also saw nearly 4 times as many patients admitted for Covid-19 to Erie County hospitals than discharged: 34 (blue bar) to 9 (red bar). The last four days combined saw 130 overall admissions (admissions + conversions) versus 78 discharges. The trend line is going in the wrong direction.

According to CDC guidelines:

So as long as we can drop the curve we will be on target for May 16 four phases (each approximately three weeks in length):

Phase 1 - 100% workforce reduction in effect, no schools, daycare facilities open. Relisting of non-essential businesses, social distance policy still applies in all public settings, PPE requirements for all public.

Phase 2 - reopen with 50% work force. Social distance policies still in effect, PPE not a requirement. No social gathering of 10 or more. No schools or daycare can reopen.

Phase 3 - reopen of all business. Social distance policy revised to include mass gathering above 50. No PPE required.

Phase 4 - back to business as usual.

Based on time frame alone that puts us Into late July early Aug, providing we start phase 1 May 16.

Lancaster news – 95 confirmed cases, 10 dead from Harris Hill Nursing Facility. Sad! Still have no idea how my town is faring. Scary stuff. Does anyone but me give a ****?

The same individual who provided me this information last week sent me this updated information:

As of 4/15/2020 the following Erie County nursing home deaths were reported:

Father Baker Manor - 6

Harris Hill Nursing Facility, LLC - 9 (Lancaster)

Garden Gate Health Care Facility - 11

As of 4/20/2020

Father Baker Manor - 9

Harris Hill Nursing Facility, LLC - 10 (Lancaster)

Garden Gate Health Care Facility – 12

And our town can’t get this information? Or keep us updated as to what's happening in the town?

And our town can’t get this information? Or keep us updated as to what's happening in the town?
    Two fascinating questions Lee which lead me to speculate as to how much information is Supervisor Ruffino disseminating to our other elected town officials, the nature of any such information, and is that information provided to them in a time-sensitive way?

It seems to me that the information needs to be communicated to those officials with urgent dispatch; they are entitled to kept promptly up-to-date, and not marginalized to reading history.

Regarding public dissemination, as I have previously opined, absent information of a truly "classified" nature, the public has every right to know why it is necessary for it to continue to observe the such stringent precautions.

Personally, I am very worried about the virus, but I am equally worried about gratuitous government control as well.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 22nd, 2020 at 08:41 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

According to this report, my hand made mask is useless.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ks_142994.html

There are of course conflicting reports on mask efficiencies. Can anyone post a report that counters this one?

Most masks are completely useless. They only stop the large droplets and will not stop the raw virus in aerosol form. It's better than nothing, but unless the material is stopping particles that are at or smaller than the virus, then it won't stop them.

They're more likely to prevent you from spreading the virus than catching it.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Most masks are completely useless. They only stop the large droplets and will not stop the raw virus in aerosol form. It's better than nothing, but unless the material is stopping particles that are at or smaller than the virus, then it won't stop them.

Nah, they are very useful for other reasons.

My wife is running her own little defense plant making them, and gave me one Monday when I was cutting the grass. The result was a troubling impact on my breathing.

BTW, my insurance policy is fully paid.

Indeed, but any covering is better than nothing. What is disconcerting to me is that we were initially told by every health and government agency that the mask use was to protect the public against getting the virus from someone exhibiting coronavirus symptoms.

Then it became advised that health workers and front-line essential workers should not be deprived from getting PPE and the public should back off from purchasing masks. Masks still not mandated.

Masks are now mandated in New York and the public is scrambling to purchase masks online, purchase hand-made masks or make their own. I would not hesitate to say that at least 50% of the public are wearing hand made masks, scarfs or handkerchiefs because they are unable to purchase surgical masks or N95 face masks – or unable to afford spending $35 - $40 for an N95 mask.

An N95 mask has an 8-hour use capacity. It is suggested that users of such masks have 3-5 to rotate use as the virus lives for 72 hours. Disinfecting them is difficult and results uncertain.

We have gone from 0% use to 100% mandated use and no one speaks on mask type and efficacy. We wear a mask because Cuomo demands it. How much protection your mask (face covering) provides, costs, or what you can afford or able to find, who gives a ****?

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    like?

like?
    Oh, like when painting, sanding, working with house hold chemicals, or suppressing the vocalized thoughts of a husband.

My wife is running her own little defense plant making them, and gave me one Monday when I was cutting the grass. The result was a troubling impact on my breathing.

BTW, my insurance policy is fully paid.
    Mark,

Thank you for the humor. It's nice to see humor still intact with all that is going on.....

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    Mark,

Thank you for the humor. It's nice to see humor still intact with all that is going on.....
    It is a time for all of us to remember what is really important in life Shortstuff, and to meet the circumstances with a resigned optimism knowing that ultimately we are in God's pre-ordained hands.

You and yours stay safe and well; there will be an appropriate time for us to fight each other again over what know seems trivial issues.

AMB.

It is a time for all of us to remember what is really important in life Shortstuff, and to meet the circumstances with a resigned optimism knowing that ultimately we are in God's pre-ordained hands.

You and yours stay safe and well; there will be an appropriate time for us to fight each other again over what know seems trivial issues.

AMB.

Yes Mark, humor is appreciated especially after reading / listening to just one day’s worth of political partisan BS and doom and gloom media news.

Trump Says Social Distancing Guidelines May Be Extended into Summer.

Democrats and Republicans alike are calling out Mitch McConnell’s shameful remark on letting states file bankruptcy.

Stores want shoppers to wear masks. But some customers refuse and stores (like Wegmans) will continue to serve customers without masks.

Just 28% of Americans say they’re regularly getting information from Trump about the coronavirus and only 23% say they have high levels of trust in what the president is telling the public. Another 21% trust him a moderate amount. Only about half of Republicans say they have a lot of trust in Trump’s information on the pandemic — and 22% say they have little or no trust in what he says about the COVID-19 outbreak.

AOC, only Dem voting 'nay' on stimulus bill, says it's 'too small' AOC also suggests workers protest and refuse to return to work.

MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace suggests 'silver lining' of coronavirus outbreak is it'll hurt Trump.

FDA commissioner: We're looking at 12 months for the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

Lastly, while Covid-19 data / statistics are plentiful on federal, state and county levels, all we can learn about Lancaster is that there are now 100 confirmed Covid-19 cases and 11 Harris Hill Nursing Facility deaths – no total death rate, hospitalizations, individuals in ICU, nada!

Regarding number of deaths outside of nursing homes, aren’t death certificates filed in the Clerk’s office, and isn’t it now mandated that Cipvid-19 deaths be entered as cause of death on said death certificates? WTF is going on in my town!

Scary **** out there Mark, and these political / media clowns add no measure of comfort or hope that a quick and / or safe resolution is at hand. I am sick of the partisan, political blame game and media disinformation dissemination during this time of crisis. These people are shameless!

Democrats and Republicans alike are calling out Mitch McConnell’s shameful remark on letting states file bankruptcy.
    Lee, McConnell looked like a selfish bastard with that comment. He surely knows that his influence and words have national consequences, and their impact certainly exceed the boundaries of his electoral constituency.

Reference:https://www.forbes.com/sites/investo.../#716179a9118c

His conspicuous stupidity leads me to ask:

I wonder why McConnell who has the skill set and experience to indeed be Senate Republican Leader, would make such a controversial public statement?

I wonder why it seems that the Republican House under Ryan floundered and torpedoed immigration and health care reform in the last session, costing the Republicans House control in this session?

Did not that legislative loss seemed to set a rather convenient stage for impeachment?

I wonder why the Republicans in the Senate throughout last year, did nothing of oversight consequence, to publicly expose the sinister "pranks" of the bad actors in the Deep State?

Why is it that Mitt Romney, his private assurances to his caucus to support Trump notwithstanding, flip-flopped, and voted in favor of Article One?

Are three years of constant focus on the contrived Russia Collusion narrative, the Mueller investigation, Ukraine, impeachment, and now the Covid-19 crisis with its huge government control of personal liberties, far too coincidental?

In light of Trump's successful intervention with China's worldwide economic blitzkrieg, sometime I wonder if this Covid-19 crisis involves a deliberate attack by a hostile foreign power, and a concurrent, if not coordinated, exploitation by the domestic enemies of the Trump Presidency and the existing American Constitutional system, but what do I know?

Regarding number of deaths outside of nursing homes, aren’t death certificates filed in the Clerk’s office...
    Unless there has been an exception made specifically for Covid-19 deaths, I understand that those certificates are filed with the clerks of the municipalities in which the death occurred.

EXAMPLE:

If a resident died at its Lancaster home, I think it would be so recorded with the Town Clerk of Lancaster, but if that exact same resident died in a hospital in Cheektowaga, Amherst, or Buffalo, I believe that the certificate would be filed with the clerk of those towns and that city.

WTF is going on in my town!
    WTF is "Spot On!"

I hold that question is an urgent one for our town government and I understand, for some government-supported organizations.

Scary **** out there Mark, and these political / media clowns add no measure of comfort or hope that a quick and / or safe resolution is at hand. I am sick of the partisan, political blame game and media disinformation dissemination during this time of crisis. These people are shameless!
    Lee, you have seen significantly more history than I, but both of us, I am sure, can agree that we have never experienced anything like this.

I remember being scared sh***tless during the Cuban Missile Crisis, very concerned during the Kennedy assassination, and highly unsettled during 911, but this Covid-19 crisis...

...WTF INDEED!
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 24th, 2020 at 05:23 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information