Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Town’s response to Covid-19 crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    What is the Lancaster’s position on this? Supervisor Ruffino declared he and his police chief were going to enforce state regulations. Have they? Silence on the part of the town and town media. What’s going on in my town?

JUST MY OPINION:

I am still perplexed as to what regulations are being enforced in Lancaster.

Is the Lancaster Town Police Department strictly enforcing NY State guidelines and designations?

Is the LTPD enforcing what some can interpret as Ruffino's off-the-reservation personal whims, orders, and edicts, which in part, appear to contradict NYS guidelines?

Or, is the LTPD enforcing some sort of harmonized version of both NYS and local Ruffino-decreed Lancaster regulations?

I do not presume to speak for former Councilman Walter, but he seemingly raised similar concerns on post #48...

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Like many of you, I'm sure, a lot of thoughts and questions have been swirling through my head while in "Quarantine".

The biggest is the role of local municipalities in the social distancing rules. I understand that a local town or village couldn't "open up" and usurp the state's orders in place but could they go further?
    For example, New York State has designated grocery stores as essential businesses, but in the past, the Supervisor has said "Going to get a loaf of bread at the grocery store to me is no longer essential.”

More troubling, the Supervisor does not appear to speak to the exclusive issue of "enforcement," but on seemingly focuses on the imposition of unspecified "punishment(s)" and "fines."

To me, it would certainly have been preferable, and far more appropriate, had the Supervisor crafted his comments to reflect the specifics of all such guidelines and designations, state and/or local; the executive's commitment to enforce the same; and properly leave the issues of sanctions and other unspecified punishments to the courts.

Ergo, my one problem does not reside with following and respecting clear guidelines and essential designations. Rather, my problem concerns confused and perhaps inappropriate messaging.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 12th, 2020 at 07:42 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Well, Lee, you assume that it is “common sense” to wear a mask. I thought social distancing was the cure all for this situation. Now it’s social distancing, wear a mask, don’t leave your home. As the problem has lessened the strictures have only increased. Look, I can’t understand why anyone believes a word Il Douche says about any of this stuff. His entire approach has been based on lies, dissembling and blaming others for the stupendous failures of his own policies. I have a neighbor who was telling me that she wears a mask because that protects others, then she puts a scarf over that to protect herself. I was going to suggest that she consider donning a football helmet on top of those for an added level of protection. As for “essential worker’s” complaints, show some compassion yourself! You’re probably dealing with some of the thousands and thousands of New Yorkers fired from their jobs arbitrarily by our governor, not because there was any reasonable finding requiring it, but just because he could. And now that same governor is sitting on their unemployment claims. They may be struggling to pay a mortgage, to provide health care or groceries for their families, or concerned about a family member in a nursing home who, until yesterday, was essentially living under a death sentence imposed by our governor. And then they see his family routinely ignoring orders the rest of us plebeians are supposed to follow unquestioningly.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    I thought social distancing was the cure all for this situation. Now it’s social distancing, wear a mask, don’t leave your home.
    "Social Distancing" in my opinion, is another example of a seventh-grade quality attempt at messaging by the government(s) and CDC, just my opinion.

What in Hell does "Social Distancing" mean?

That specific terminology seems to suggest that people should keep away from those in their social circle, including family and close friends in all venues. Such hoof-in mouth verbiage sounds to me like a mis-characterization of a common sense practice, which was perhaps deliberately articulated to over-compensate for the previous reckless encouragement(s) for the public to attend large-group gatherings in New York City and San Francisco during the early stages of the pandemic.

Hell, "Social Distancing" could include waving at someone twenty feet away, or picking up a telephone and, as the commercials said in 1980 and 1981, "Reach Out, and Touch Someone," just sayin'.

These government officials and medical pros may be well-served by the assistance of English grammar teachers.

Ergo, would not "Physical Distancing" from the general public in confined public areas be more appropriate and accurate?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 12th, 2020 at 09:47 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Wow, I didn't mean to light a fire!

I did want to respond to one comment. I was not wading into the waters of what is essential and what is not.... I think we can all agree that the rules regarding this are pretty nonsensical.

What I was asking was in regards to safety. if it is safe to shop at Walmart or Tops with unlimited numbers of people allowed in, how is it not safe to shop at the NY store? or Gilded Maple?

I always hated political games insisting on decisions to be made logically (maybe that's why i didn't run again?!?!). The classification of essential vs non-essential seems illogical to me. if the purpose is to keep people safe, then let's ensure that and do away with the classifications.

Hopefully we are heading in that direction over the next few weeks.

Stay safe everyone,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    Once again you are one messed up puppy!

I thought you don't leave the house anyway?

You harp on a few statements from weeks ago showing that you have nothing to pin on Ron.

Heck, seems to me you are sore because Cuomo, Poloncarz and Ruffino are just trying to save your life!

LOL
    Well, one thing we know for sure Breezy. Cuomo wasn’t trying to save the lives of nursing home residents. Hell, his order probably saves the state $3 or $4 million a month in Medicaid costs. And he wasn’t trying to save the lives of cardiac patients, who have nothing to do with corona, when he ordered emergency responders not to resuscitate them if they went into arrest. But totalitarians like Cuomo love holding the lives of the weak and helpless in their hands where they can kill them on a whim.

[QUOTE=grump;1924911]

Well, Lee, you assume that it is “common sense” to wear a mask. I thought social distancing was the cure all for this situation. Now it’s social distancing, wear a mask, don’t leave your home. As the problem has lessened the strictures have only increased.
    As someone who has had to leave the house on numerous occasions out of necessity, the social distancing policy never made much sense. Wearing a mask does make sense to me and I have been wearing one when out since the middle of March when in a crowd. For now, if there are businesses that do not require their cliental to wear a mask, I will avoid that business. My prerogative.

Look, I can’t understand why anyone believes a word Il Douche says about any of this stuff. His entire approach has been based on lies, dissembling and blaming others for the stupendous failures of his own policies.
    I am not a Cuomo fan and I agree with you. He is a Trump in sheepskin clothing but gets away with crap because of a benevolent liberal media.

I have a neighbor who was telling me that she wears a mask because that protects others, then she puts a scarf over that to protect herself. I was going to suggest that she consider donning a football helmet on top of those for an added level of protection.
    I as well have seen the ridiculous lengths individuals have taken to ‘stay safe’.

As for “essential worker’s” complaints, show some compassion yourself! You’re probably dealing with some of the thousands and thousands of New Yorkers fired from their jobs arbitrarily by our governor, not because there was any reasonable finding requiring it, but just because he could. And now that same governor is sitting on their unemployment claims. They may be struggling to pay a mortgage, to provide health care or groceries for their families, or concerned about a family member in a nursing home who, until yesterday, was essentially living under a death sentence imposed by our governor. And then they see his family routinely ignoring orders the rest of us plebeians are supposed to follow unquestioningly.
    Having family members and friends classified as ‘essential’ and working, they are mandated to wear masks when appropriate to protect themselves and others from infection. Erie County is still a ‘hot spot’ and I choose to support the mask mandate.

There is so much conflicting data in the media, much of it to support political agendas and with intent to scare the crap out of the public. Modeling has been more often wrong than right. However, this is not the time to be cavalier and totally disregard mandated safety guidelines.

Well Lee, I’m not aware of any decision by Trump that led directly to the deaths of 5000 New Yorker. I can name several by Cuomo that have led to the deaths of 10’s of thousands of New Yorkers. You’re free to take whatever safety measures you think are appropriate. My response was to the whiner who ran into the bathroom to cry because people were mean. It’s typical of the handling of this whole mess that those who question the arbitrary decisions of Cuomo and other totalitarians are routinely excoriated in the press and subject to attacks in public by those who think they’re smarter than everyone else. But anyone who has a different opinion is considered totally irresponsible. I’ll bet you a Paula’s donut (if they’re ever allowed to reopen) that all the people not wearing masks in grocery stores haven’t come close to killing the number of New Yorkers since this thing began, that Cuomo killed in nursing homes in 6 weeks. You know, it’s dangerous for someone in a position of authority to act arbitrarily in the current situation and to allow their family to ignore their orders because pretty soon people lose all respect for their decision making. Then, when they have to take actions that are really important people will ignore those too. Don’t ever make the mistake of assuming that Cuomo’s actions are motivated out of benign concern for the residents of New York. The man is a totalitarian through and through. In the media driven climate of fear surrounding this mess people would be wise to remember the words of the Old Testament prophet Amos, “It will be like a man who flees from a lion, only to meet a bear.”

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Wow, I didn't mean to light a fire!

I did want to respond to one comment. I was not wading into the waters of what is essential and what is not.... I think we can all agree that the rules regarding this are pretty nonsensical.
    Matt,

I am not a scientist, and I will gladly defer to those with such a credentialed background. With that caveat, speaking as a layman, I simply don't know what rules are nonsensical or what guidelines have merit. That is why in the early stages, I advocated that we all trust and support our leaders, local, state and federal, in their dictates.

With that said, in light of the contradictions in some quarters, and the downright stupid comments in others, my position has matured to the point where I am now inclined to follow the Reagan admonishment "Trust But Verify," because I am highly open to the possibility that the powers-that-simply be do not have a good handle on the virus' makeup or its full biological impact and potential.

It just seems to me that the federal, state, county, and even local governments have thrown-out, and continue to throw-out, just about every conceivable rule, restriction, threat and sanction, perhaps in the expectation of full compliance and in the illusory hope of effective remedy.

(More cynically, there are some who may observe such control edicts have been imposed just to test the public's reaction and its willingness to accept such control, just sayin'.)

What's the saying, "Throw enough sh***t against the wall and see if any of it sticks?"

If I am wrong, I have been led in that direction, because, absent government ignorance of the virus, I simply do not know why mask-wearing was of no preventative value to the wearer one day, and an essential defense for all the next.

Why was it once thought that the virus was spread exclusively through close personal contact, and then in short order, it was held that the virus was so contagious and potent that if someone sneezes, it could be spread twenty-five feet in all directions, potentially effecting all who come into immediate contact with the projection, and even more concerning, seriously contaminating those who would casually stumble on invisible droplets hanging in the air, hours, if not days after the sneeze?

Why at one point, was it necessary to wipe all surfaces and packages, and shortly thereafter, it was said that contraction from such surfaces was a very low-risk danger?

Why are the symptoms constantly changing, and what of these newly observed post-Covid-19 maladies such as strokes, blood clots in the lungs, and in children, a situation mirroring toxic shock?

The entire history of this situation is far too dynamic and highly contradictory, to satisfy a conclusion in my mind reflective of a strong confidence level in the science, in the rules and restrictions, and most of all, in many of the government leaders and the so-called "experts."

IMHO, there is appears to be no silver-bullet safeguard because, based upon the current information publicly available, no one can not identify with finality, what the proper safeguards are, because I believe no one truly knows what the enemy is.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 12th, 2020 at 01:27 PM.

Well Lee, I’m not aware of any decision by Trump that led directly to the deaths of 5000 New Yorker. I can name several by Cuomo that have led to the deaths of 10’s of thousands of New Yorkers. You’re free to take whatever safety measures you think are appropriate. My response was to the whiner who ran into the bathroom to cry because people were mean. It’s typical of the handling of this whole mess that those who question the arbitrary decisions of Cuomo and other totalitarians are routinely excoriated in the press and subject to attacks in public by those who think they’re smarter than everyone else. But anyone who has a different opinion is considered totally irresponsible. I’ll bet you a Paula’s donut (if they’re ever allowed to reopen) that all the people not wearing masks in grocery stores haven’t come close to killing the number of New Yorkers since this thing began, that Cuomo killed in nursing homes in 6 weeks. You know, it’s dangerous for someone in a position of authority to act arbitrarily in the current situation and to allow their family to ignore their orders because pretty soon people lose all respect for their decision making. Then, when they have to take actions that are really important people will ignore those too. Don’t ever make the mistake of assuming that Cuomo’s actions are motivated out of benign concern for the residents of New York. The man is a totalitarian through and through. In the media driven climate of fear surrounding this mess people would be wise to remember the words of the Old Testament prophet Amos, “It will be like a man who flees from a lion, only to meet a bear.”
    Well stated and I agree!

That said, I listened to the Covid-19 Congressional Hearing and found it absolutely useless in content importance except for the conclusion the spread is not controlled, the models have been wrong more than right and those advocating continuing stay-at-home policies don’t give a rat’s ass about the public’s welfare.

House Democrats are now proposing another stimulus $3 trillion bailout while continuing to skewer Trump as everything is his fault and opening the country is foolish at this time. The governors are making the decision on reopening, but Trump is the smuck!

To watch the politicizing that occurred at this hearing at the expense of public welfare was abominable. We are being hammered with so much horse**** the boiling kettle is about to boil over, and they don’t care. Trump may often talk ****, but he offers a ray of hope. The left quickly sweeps away bright news for the sake of political gain.

Sorry Grump, but as I often say, ‘With rare exception, all politicos suck’. Here, there is no exception, they all suck! Never in my long lifetime have I encountered such political partisanship and divisiveness in a time of crisis. The blame game is despicable. Voting in November brings a whole new meaning in ‘voting for the lesser of two evils’.

A great leader possesses a clear vision, is courageous, has integrity, honestly, humility and clear focus. That definition does not fit anyone or any l party I recognize in today's national politics. So sad!

Stay safe, wear a mask!

Lee, I don’t know how old you are & it’s none of my business. My guess is we’re not that many years separated. I vaguely remember the Asiatic (wasn’t racist to call it that back then) flu in 1957. I know it killed over 115,000 Americans back when there weren’t nearly so many of them. I remember the “polio count” every summer until Salk vaccine came along. That was caused by a virus as well. My wife’s cousin was unable to bear children because of it. They didn’t shut down the economy every summer. Instead, they isolated the ill and those with whom they’d come into contact. And every year they got through until a vaccine came along. Much of this has been a media created panic and that’s a pity for everyone.

Much of this has been a media created panic and that’s a pity for everyone.
    I totally agree Grump!

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    In undergraduate school, I minored in journalism and particularly excelled in press history.

I remember the discussions about the effects 1938 CBS Mercury Theater on the Air broadcast of H.G. Wells "War of the Worlds" had on the nation and how the medium of radio could unintentionally spread panic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0K4ApWl4g

I also remember the discussion about the Hutchinson Commission, which stressed the need for accurate and socially responsible reporting.

(https://matthewgiobbimusic.com/the-s...ns-commission/)

In the last last *four years, we have seen the promulgation of "Fake News," and a Main Stream Media entirely uncritical about Leftist allegations concerning Russia, Ukraine, and Impeachment.

More alarming, I have lived through some truly scary days. The week of the Cuban Missile Crisis, November 22-25, 1963, March 30, 1981 and September 11, 2001 come to my mind. However, I have never the hysteria that is attached to the news coverage of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Let me be clear, I am not minimizing the dangers of the pandemic, and I do advocate everything possible to confront the dangers, stem the spread, heal the sick, and produce a vaccine.

With that said, I must ask what is served by what is in my opinion, 24-hour non-stop news coverage, weighted with political spin seemingly aimed more at destabilizing the international financial markets and ending the Trump Presidency, than addressing and satisfactorily working the problem?

In that connection, just what happened to the very sensible template established by the Hutchinson Commission?

I just wonder what the impact on world peace, human survival, the national psyche, and world economy would have been had such news coverage had existed in 1962?

Just some food for thought.

Reference: https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...gh-yet/page108

Lee, I might add I spent time in the political world. I left finally because I came to realize that it’s all about the money for those in elective office. For a long time I supported lobbying because I realized that lawmakers aren’t omniscient and can benefit from professional advocates on all sides of an issue when trying to draft effective legislation. Increasingly, the lobbying became about money as everyone bellied up to the trough to feast on the piles of taxpayer money politicians were mulcting out of the people. I got out.

Mark, my heart goes out to the families of any victim of the Coronavirus. But flying flags at half staff? Really? With all due respect, those victims are no more or less dead than the 600+ thousand Americans who die of cancer every year or the 800+ thousand Americans who die of cardiac disease every year. It’s time to regain our perspective on things and start demanding responsible governance instead of the daily clown show we’ve been dealt between our “governor” and his half-wit brother.

It’s time to regain our perspective on things and start demanding responsible governance instead of the *daily clown show we’ve been dealt between our “governor” and his half-wit brother.
    Totally agree.

The performance noise of the two new "Smothers Brothers" is dutifully relayed to a rather gullible public by their sycophantic media buddies.

The Governor's disingenuously-touted success, political correctness ("The European Virus," eh?), and self-serving criticisms of President Trump serve as mere noise in support of a faint to divert attention away from the fatal screw-ups of his entire administration.

Not entirely analogous Grump, but the noise of Cuomo's daily blather kind of reminds me of the accounts of D-Day.

Although the air strikes and naval bombardment were essentially ineffective, their tremendous noise perhaps gave the impression of success, but in reality, served only to drown-out the far more determinant sounds of the rifle fire and the screams of the wounded.

In Covid-19 New York, the biggest mouth does not necessarily reflect quality skill and insight.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 12th, 2020 at 07:59 PM.

Well, eventually the destroyers did move in close and provide fire on the “hot spots”, as it were, of the Nazis. But you’re right; the absolutely unbelievable courage of everyday soldiers won the day. Thanks to Democratic Totalitarians it’s not even recognized anymore.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information