Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lancaster Covid-19 stats

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Statistical standards? They are whatever the government or health experts wish them to be.

In Illinois they have just defined death by Covid-19 to be any related death where that individual tested positive for Covid-18. If an individual were killed in an automobile accident and tested Covid19 positive the death would be recorded as a Covid-19 death.

If a person were dying in a Hospice facility from cancer, tested and found Covid-1 positive, the death would be attributed to Covid-19. Stupid, eh?
    It is beyond stupid Lee. That type of manipulation is tragic, dishonors the human condition, and in my opinion, smacks of suggestions of evil intent.

I trusted Cuomo at the beginning of the crisis, and that was my bad. I will never blindly trust him and his administration in a crisis situation again, nor will I ever blindly trust those Republican state leaders who conferred upon him unchecked power. In the Covid-19 matter the only state Republican that was worth a fiddler's frig was Di Pietro.

I am also becoming less-and-less favorably impressed with Poloncarz. His subtle stand against Cuomo in the ventilator issue has, in my opinion, since been diminished by his dutiful presentations of his confusing statistical ramblings. He talks are becoming Cuomo light, and to me, appear to in line with the general, if not scripted, Cuomo BS narrative.

The same holds true of the executive administration on my town level.

The public’s trust in the information coming out of the blue states is waning.

The Left has more than weaponized this virus against the very people it purports to protect. But I need to disagree with you a little bit Lee, because I fear that a significant number of those same victimized people are blaming Trump and the right; not the Left.

America is now becoming a powder keg, and the fuse has been lit. We are on the brink here, and are experiencing conditions not dissimilar to those present in October, 1917 Russia.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 22nd, 2020 at 08:07 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

The ’left’ and liberal media have indeed weaponized the virus to divide and distract the public in the hope of removing Trump and replacing him with Biden who they claim has a better plan for handling the virus than Trump. What is the Biden plan? Haven’t heard of any Biden plan yet.

As the days move forward, the one thing I have learned is that the so-called modeling expert, health experts and government reps (like Cuomo and Poloncarz) have been more often wrong than right. And, the left just loves to scare the **** out of the public hoping to gain their support. Stay home they tell furloughed workers; we will get you more money. The hell with the risk to the economy. Your job will be there when you chose to return.

The CDC just issued the following report and already it is being challenged by the left:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/hea...?ocid=msedgntp

The one thing that is certain with this virus is that nothing can be taken for granted.

As for ‘everything is Trump’s fault, as time goes by the public is beginning to see more and more how Cuomo and Poloncarz dropped the ball on handling the virus in New York. Their ‘cry wolf’ tactics are beginning to wear thin. The nursing home debacle would receive a lot more press if this were not a blue state.

**And, the left just loves to scare the **** out of the public hoping to gain their support.
    Perhaps the Left will continue to hysterically raise the Covid issue, and promulgate it throughout this election year, and in so doing, blame Trump for everything Covid, especially the resultant death, economic destruction, and food and supply shortages?

Has Governor Cuomo has already advanced one such narrative in connection with the nursing home slaughter, twisting the CDC guidelines to remove blame from his March 25, 2020 decree, and in so doing, created the perfect villain: "Trump?"

Reference: https://stefanik.house.gov/media-cen...mos-department

Hmm, does history suggest a time when a narrative had been created to ascribe to the perfect villain(s) the responsibility for death, destruction, food and supply shortages in hopes of revolutionary change?

Reference:

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/...t?oid=31209502

https://www.thestate.com/news/politi...242228511.html

Not entirely analogous, but consider replacing the name "Trump" with the names "Romanov" or "Kerensky," and "Covid" with "The Great War," eh?

Hmm, those pesky echos of history.

The nursing home debacle would receive a lot more press if this were not a blue state.
    For the longest time, NBC and CBS election night news maps assigned Blue to the Republican candidates Red to the Democrat candidates. Strange, but that changed in 1992.

Personally, and it pains me to say this, NBC and CBS had those colors right, pre-1992.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; May 22nd, 2020 at 03:52 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    He’s just following the lead of Il Douche who covered up nursing home deaths across the state as he sat back and watched the slaughter caused by his order.
    With the latest order, one would assume that a hospital would test a patient within 24 hours of discharge to a nursing home.
    That's not the case with ECMC. If a resident is sent from a nursing home to the hospital, upon admission ECMC does the Covid 19 test.
    If the result is negative on the test, upon discharge back to the nursing home a week later, ECMC does not Covid 19 test the patient.
    They state that there is no timeline in the directive. SO the test was done before discharge to a nursing home albeit a week earlier.

Georgia L Schlager

Gorga, what makes no sense to me how poorly the state has managed to control the spread of the virus and the media accolades given Cuomo while he plays the blame game and distances himself from any wrongdoing.

I found this report in today’s Buffalo News to be a different and refreshing perspective. Unable to link it, I have to present in its’ entirety.

New York’s tragic nursing home mistake

Andrew Cuomo is receiving national acclaim for his handling of New York’s coronavirus crisis – and much of the praise is well deserved. But the adulation glosses over mistakes the governor has made, including the biggest one: The state mandate, recently abandoned, that nursing homes must admit suspected or diagnosed Covid-19 cases.

While the Department of Health directive may have seemed justifiable at the time, given the extreme circumstances New York was anticipating at the apex of the crisis, the policy has contributed to tragic results. Many New York nursing homes have been ravaged by the pandemic, with more than 5,300 of their residents believed to have died from the pandemic.

Critics believe many of those deaths are directly tied to the policy and say the outcome was predictable, given long-standing and well documented problems at nursing homes.

“We all know that nursing homes are seriously understaffed and under-equipped,” said Ron Kim, a Democrat in the state Assembly whose Queens district includes nursing homes ravaged by the virus. “It was never their mission to treat Covid-19 patients.”

The governor’s March 25 mandate said that nursing homes couldn’t deny admission or readmission “based on a confirmed or suspected diagnoses of Covid-19.” It also forbade nursing homes from requiring Covid-19 testing of incoming hospital transfers.

The order was driven by fears that hospitals would be swamped during the pandemic and that Covid-19 patients who could be at nursing homes would occupy much-needed beds. There was also concern that if nursing homes rejected residents, some could be left with nowhere to go.

But the order overlooked that the coronavirus would present a new and distinct threat to nursing homes and their residents. The mistake was odd, since Cuomo had issued an earlier directive banning all visitors from nursing homes because their patients were, he said, uniquely vulnerable during the pandemic.

The two directives seem contradictory. If outside visitors were too risky, then admitting untested patients who might or might not have Covid-19 was also risky – especially when many nursing homes were also facing critical shortages of personal-protective equipment as the crisis worsened.

Kim notes that Cuomo’s budget package, approved just as the crisis was bearing down on New York, included a provision that shielded nursing-home operators and hospitals from lawsuits related to Covid-19 deaths. As The New York Times reported, many lawmakers (Kim included) were unaware of the change when they approved the budget.

The provision, in Kim’s opinion, acted as a “disincentive” for nursing-home operators to take steps needed to confront the crisis and protect residents. “It was like a get-out-of-jail-free card,” he said.

I wouldn’t go that far. Nursing homes would have been unprepared for an epidemic that targets older people regardless. But that unpreparedness certainly means they shouldn’t have been required to take Covid-19 patients. As outrage over the directive grew, Cuomo stressed that nursing homes could transfer patients if they couldn’t provide adequate care.

Richard Azzopardi, his spokesman, repeated the point Friday in an email: “The clear policy is if a nursing home does not have the facilities, the staff nor the protective equipment to care for a resident, they must transfer them to a place that can – period.”

But the March 25 directive didn’t actually say that or suggest any flexibility on the issue, while it did explicitly say that nursing homes couldn’t discriminate based on Covid-19. The result was that nursing homes, which should have been given the highest level of protection possible, given the inherent vulnerabilities of their populations, were left terribly exposed.

Last Sunday, Cuomo at last announced that hospitals would no longer be allowed to release patients to nursing homes unless they had tested negative for Covid-19, undoing a key element of the March 25 directive.

“We’re just not going to send a person who is positive to a nursing home after a hospital visit. Period,” the governor said, though, strangely, he denied that the obvious policy reversal was a, you know, policy reversal.

As I’ve previously written, much of the acclaim coming Cuomo’s way during the pandemic stems from his clear, straightforward communication and his expressed willingness to take responsibility for tough decisions. “I accept full responsibility,” the Democrat has said, repeatedly and admirably. But the governor hasn’t been inclined to take responsibility for the nursing-home decision, or even explain why such an obviously mistaken policy wasn’t abandoned much earlier.

“He’s unwilling to say there’s anything they did that was wrong, and he doesn’t seem willing to learn from his mistakes,” said Kim, who believes the nursing home directive will be remembered as one of the deadliest policy errors in state history. “We’re all learning as we go with this, and the governor is allowed to make mistakes. But not being able to recognize mistakes so we don’t repeat them in a possible second wave of the pandemic is dangerous.”

If there’s a silver lining to all this, it’s that the deaths have focused attention on an industry that should have been spotlighted long ago. Some lawmakers, including Assemblyman Richard Gottfried, a Democrat from Manhattan, are even calling for an independent probe of the state’s nursing-home policies.
    “The problems in nursing homes have been there for decades,” Gottfried told me Friday. “Covid-19 made them worse – and made them much more obvious.”

Albany Times Union
    Chris Churchill

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    But the March 25 directive didn’t actually say that or suggest any flexibility on the issue, while it did explicitly say that nursing homes couldn’t discriminate based on Covid-19. The result was that nursing homes, which should have been given the highest level of protection possible, given the inherent vulnerabilities of their populations, were left terribly exposed
    That is so true. Most nursing homes interpreted that directive as that they MUST accept the resident with no wiggle room.
    Some nursing homes didn't have a designated space, staff, PPEs to protect the other residents or staff themselves from the virus.

Georgia L Schlager

Not only did they interpret it that way, they were told e aptly that by the state and its representatives. Email trails show nursing homes begging for relief only to be told clearly that they had to take the corona infected patients. And they were given no prior warning in order to try and prepare. When Cuomo blames Trump he’s a liar. The CDC guidelines were clear; Coronavirus patients were not to be returned the the general population of nursing homes unless and until they were completely cured, those with active infections were only to be sent back if it was to a nursing home with a dedicated Coronavirus care facility. This, of course, was the opposite of what Cuomo ordered. Cuomo’s order speaks for itself and those who claim it means something else lie in their hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Not only did they interpret it that way, they were told e aptly that by the state and its representatives. Email trails show nursing homes begging for relief only to be told clearly that they had to take the corona infected patients. And they were given no prior warning in order to try and prepare. When Cuomo blames Trump he’s a liar. The CDC guidelines were clear; Coronavirus patients were not to be returned the the general population of nursing homes unless and until they were completely cured, those with active infections were only to be sent back if it was to a nursing home with a dedicated Coronavirus care facility. This, of course, was the opposite of what Cuomo ordered. Cuomo’s order speaks for itself and those who claim it means something else lie in their hearts.
    Spot on!

Cuomo can get away with this lie because he has a the liberal media to spin the truth into plausible deniability.

Does this seem to be an agenda-driven application of the Governor's priorities?...

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...7K1YBsBg46I0_g

Georgia L Schlager

Georgia L Schlager

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information