Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Entire town in lockdown? Clarification, please

So how does this comment...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Sorry... I thought you created this comment "With your disgusting deflective observation disposed of, I ask why did Ron Ruffino, THE SUPERVISOR of Lancaster, say that grocery shopping, even for a loaf of bread, was not an essential activity?"
    ...relate to this barely literate verbiage...

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Wasn't it you making up the stupid Ruffino meme's?
    ...which seemingly remains in-congruent to the topic of this thread?

Would not the best interests of Lancaster be served if Mr. Ruffino, as per theme of this thread, simply and promptly clarify his comments?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 9th, 2020 at 09:43 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

This thread was started out of frustration, frustration resulting from one complying with the social distancing and self

Supervisor Ruffino was spot on at Monday Evening’s town board meeting when he sounded the alarm on the virus and what steps the town and police would pursue to halt its progress. Lancaster today has 68 reported Covid-19 cases. Within a short period of time Lancaster went from 19 to the 68 – surpassing or matching adjacent towns that were higher in reported cases.

As I posted earlier, his claim that he no longer considered bread essential was ludicrous - if he indeed said it. If he didn’t, he should ask for a Bee retraction, If he stands by his statement, clarification please.

I am frustrated and angered with the political partisan animus taking place while we are in the midst of a world crisis; listening to briefings that are less than factual ;and more in self-aggrandizing; and especially conflicting reports on the contagion transmission and preventative measures to be taken.

We were initially told no mask wearing needed except by those coughing or sneezing. Now the public is being advised to wear a mask. It is near impossible for the general public to purchase a surgical or N95 respirator mask when the health industry is just getting their required masks So, we wear hand-made masks. And now we are reading how ineffective they are and the extraordinary measures necessary to reuse them.

What makes Ruffino’s crass statement gulling to me it as I earlier stated I had only left the house 5 times in the past month. The wife has not gone anywhere. Today, because of a medical necessity we had to make a trip to our internist, who sent us to a cardiologist for an examination and tests and a visit to the pharmacy for a new medication prescription.

I am sure Supervisor Ruffino would approve of our reason for travel today as essential. I am sure his intent was noble, but his quoted statement a major blunder and one that pisses off many residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    This thread was started out of frustration, frustration resulting from one complying with the social distancing and self.
    Understood, and I share your frustration.

Supervisor Ruffino was spot on at Monday Evening’s town board meeting when he sounded the alarm on the virus and what steps the town and police would pursue to halt its progress.
    Agreed.

As I posted earlier, his claim that he no longer considered bread essential was ludicrous - if he indeed said it. If he didn’t, he should ask for a Bee retraction, If he stands by his statement, clarification please.
    If I had made such a comment, I would PROMPTLY seek a "Bee" update, either retracting the comment, or otherwise serve to put that comment into the context of intended meaning.

I am frustrated and angered with the political partisan animus taking place while we are in the midst of a world crisis; listening to briefings that are less than factual ;and more in self-aggrandizing; and especially conflicting reports on the contagion transmission and preventative measures to be taken.

We were initially told no mask wearing needed except by those coughing or sneezing. Now the public is being advised to wear a mask. It is near impossible for the general public to purchase a surgical or N95 respirator mask when the health industry is just getting their required masks So, we wear hand-made masks. And now we are reading how ineffective they are and the extraordinary measures necessary to reuse them..
    Exactly.

In what now seems to have been long ago on a far-away planet, were told something about a two-week lock-down, and that we should stock, BUT NOT OVERSTOCK, our shelves with provisions normally needed for a two-week period.

I did exactly that.

That two-week time period has long-since expired, and therefore, I was stunned when Ruffino was quoted in The Bee as saying...

Going to get a loaf of bread at the grocery store to me is no longer essential,” Ruffino said.
    *I am sure his intent was noble, but his quoted statement a major blunder and one that pisses off many residents.
    I too, seek only clarification.

It may very well have been a misquote, or perhaps a clumsy attempt by Supervisor Ruffino to apply a "cutesy" metaphor to emphasize urgency; who knows?

A misquote would be the shame of "The Bee."

A clumsy attempt at a cute metaphor would be a venial sin; forgiveness quite understandable.

However, continued indifference to clarification, as per silence, would exceed the acceptable boundaries of governing incompetence, just my opinion of course.

I continue to hold that those comments, appearing as they did, within the context of a news story relating to strict enforcement of decree-like rules, permissible under a complex set of executive powers attendant to a State of Emergency, are troubling and very concerning, and I sought, and continue to seek, a clarification that will unambiguously educate the public. Such words would serve, in my opinion, as a courteous gesture of benevolence, to assuage the public's anxious mind.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 10th, 2020 at 09:35 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Lancaster residents need to know

We were informed today in the Buffalo News:

Three additional deaths were announced Thursday afternoon, bringing the total number of Erie County residents who have died from Covid-19 to 107.

Erie County on Thursday also announced 98 new confirmed cases of Covid-19, bringing the county's total number of confirmed cases to 1,951.

The county's death toll grew by three on Wednesday, bringing the total for the pandemic to 104 as of Wednesday night.

Lancaster has 78 reported cases (46 cases in the 14086-zip code address).

Today’s Lancaster Sun reports on the strong stand Supervisor Ruffino has taken in the last two weeks on policing gatherings and threatens violators with punishment. “What we don’t want people to do is get lax when they see those (coronavirus) numbers come down,” Ruffino is quoted as saying.

Lancaster residents complying with the ‘pause – stay at home mandate' need to know Lancaster’s stat’s as well!

Hopefully, at the upcoming April 21st town board meeting, Supervisor Ruffino can present some information relative to Lancaster’s case numbers regarding:

• On April 10th I posted that there were 67 confirmed cases. 11 more in six days- significance?

• Hospitalizations?

• Patients in ICU’s?

• Deaths?

• Are nursing home deaths included and what number of the total death count?

Today’s Lancaster Sun reports on the strong stand Supervisor Ruffino has taken in the last two weeks on policing gatherings and threatens violators with punishment. “What we don’t want people to do is get lax when they see those (coronavirus) numbers come down,” Ruffino is quoted as saying.
    JUST MY OPINIONS:

Lee, you are properly correct in your request, but good luck with that.

It seems to me that Ruffino has been far more interested in a controlled message, than a substantively informative one, that is my opinion.

As understood the Supervisor's comments during the March 16 meeting that, and I believe that the paraphrase is accurate, he was hesitate to declare a state of emergency out of concern that "Lancaster did not want to send wrong signal to other communities" if he declared a state of emergency before other, unspecified communities?

Ergo, my interpretation of those comments, as I understood them, perhaps suggested a governing temperament which values cautious public image considerations over urgent engagement, again just my opinion.

Regarding your reference to "punishment," it seems to me that Supervisor Ruffino may be more inclined to apply parental-like demands for obedience, rather than convey a sense of strong, steady leadership which would attend the presentation of a calm, informative, factual assessment of the crisis situation, just my humble opinion.

As to sanctions for violators, citations, yes; prosecutions, absolutely, but does not the admonishment...

"WE will be punishing people not obeying this,
    perhaps suggest a highly inappropriate and unacceptable executive assertion, which seemingly smacks of a very troubling authoritarian overreach?

Good God, words do mean something, do they not?

I may have been inclined to accept such verbiage as misplaced syntax in support of emphasis, had it not been for what appeared to be a similar inappropriate assertion attributed to Ruffino in last week's Lancaster Bee:

Supervisor Ronald Ruffino said at Monday’s town board meeting that Lancaster is onboard with the PAUSE order, and the Lancaster Police will issue tickets and fines to those who do not comply.
    I appear not to be the only one on this medium holding such concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    And he’d better check with his town attorney because the police can’t issue fines.

Such were the words, I believe remaining un-rebutted, attributed to our current Supervisor, who appeared allied with those who obsessively criticized a past Supervisor for a subjectively determined "harsh tone?"

SMH!

If a leader seeks constituent compliance with the law, should not one expect that the very same leader has a clear understanding of its own legal limitations, as well as the rather general legal process itself?

Oh well, perhaps next week Mr. Ruffino can clarify all three presently unexplained comments...

Going to get a loaf of bread at the grocery store to me is no longer essential,” Ruffino said.
    Lancaster Police will issue tickets and fines to those who do not comply
    WE will be punishing people not obeying this."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 17th, 2020 at 02:38 AM.

The Buffalo News is listing the Lancaster number of Covid-19cases at 85 - 78 yesterday!

Supervisor Ruffino needs to inform his constituents on the status of the virus’ impact on his community.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I think town population was 41605 in 2010. If 85 are infected that is about a .002% of the town population.

The Buffalo News is listing the Lancaster number of Covid-19cases at 85 - 78 yesterday!

Supervisor Ruffino needs to inform his constituents on the status of the virus’ impact on his community.
    I do not presume to speak for Mr. C., but my concerns center around what I consider to be a lack of faithfully consistent, steady, authoritative and accurate virus-centered, medical, scientific, and economic/business information specifically relating to the Lancaster experience.

The residents of Lancaster have every right to be confounded as to why Supervisor Ruffino has heretofore weighed-in so heavy on the topic of shutting-down NFTA/New York State mass transit systems. This issue, while very worthy of State and County attention, is in my opinion, one of low-impact on, and of limited consequence to, the overwhelming majority of Lancaster residents.

The only comments faithfully delivered by Supervisor Ruffino appear to be those which I perceive to be chest-thumping edicts and decrees, more appropriately aimed at a defiant citizenry, or clueless fools. In that connection, I have no doubt that the people of Lancaster are doing everything they possibly can, to faithfully follow guidelines and comply with the law.

Therefore, I believe that the people of Lancaster deserve better than what appears to be either flippant comments, or bold assertions seemingly relayed in contradiction to the established template for due process.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 17th, 2020 at 01:42 PM.

I have been presented information that as of 4/15/2020 the following Erie County nursing home deaths were reported:

Father Baker Manor - 6

Harris Hill Nursing Facility, LLC - 9 (Lancaster)

Garden Gate Health Care Facility - 11

Thanks to the individual passing this on to me. It's a start.

Thanx for sharing this dark but informative news Lee.

Major blowback is developing around the country against petty local officials and their confused and arbitrary edicts.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Major blowback is developing around the country against petty local officials is confused and arbitrary edicts.
    Amen Grump!

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I certainly can't clarify. But could the statement have been an inference regarding the people that are still going to the grocery store 5 or 6 times a week for one or two items?
    Exactly, just par for the course of people making someone else's words fit what they want to ascribe to. Sad how we as humans do this! Then wax elliquently on how great, high, and mighty we are, as we have all the answers. All the time afraid to get into the fray ourselves, too comforitble on our duffs attacking those who rose to the task of trying to be leaders in the community.

gorja, of course that is exactly what he was trying to describe.
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

Mark did not say that grocery shopping is not "essential;"
    Ron Ruffino did.
    Exhibit A of said......
    The above is opinion & commentary, I am exercising my 1st Amendment rights as a US citizen. Posts are NOT made with any malicious intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Broughton View Post
    Exhibit A of said......
    I read Ruffino's exact words, and only asked clarity, you got a problem with that O' Non Lancaster Resident?

At this time of crisis, many seek clarity and not metaphor, particularly when there is present a state lending extraordinary power to one who thunders extra-legal "fines" and unspecified punishments.

These words are in fact Exhibits A, B and C...

Lancaster Police will issue tickets and fines to those who do not comply
    WE will be punishing people not obeying this."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; April 21st, 2020 at 11:44 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information