Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster 2020 property reassessment

Lancaster 2020 property reassessment

In a featured Lancaster Sun article this week, Lancaster Town Assessor Rebecca Baker was quoted as saying, “I can confidently say assessments have been increased. The first thing people think is as your assessment goes up, your taxes are going up to.”

Baker, as well as Supervisor Ronald Ruffino and Town Clerk Diane Terranova explained that taxes will increase for about 1/3 of property owners, 1/3 will see no increase, and 1/3 will realize a small decrease.

The reassessment process is to level the playing field where all property owners are paying their fair share in taxes and where the intent is also to bring the equalization rate (level of assessment) back to 100% market value to accomplish that goal – and to also receive appropriate STAR and other exemptions.

Comment(s)

As a advocate for the reassessment process, I found the report informational and credible with the exception of two segments:

1. In the report Councilman Robert Leary (and others as well) voice that ‘it is a shame that the reassessment took too long to take place’ (10 years) and that it should take place every two-to-three years at minimum, and with yearly partial assessments.

In 2017, the equalization rate (of full market value) was still at 92%. Assessor Baker appeared at a town board work session in 2018 to advise the board that the equalization rate had dropped to 88% and that it was time to consider performing a property reassessment process. Despite acknowledging how the public dislikes the process, the town board decided it was time to act and the process to conduct a reassessment began. The process is a lengthy one and costly as well. The town did not act imprudently – especially considering the recent significant increase in property sale values (IMHO).

2. In the report Assessor Baker is quoted as saying:

This means that based on the assessments that were in place - most of which were a result from the last reassessment in 2010 – and the current value of homes are selling for, Lancaster properties were selling at 77% of market value across the board in 2019, Baker said.

In other words, if a person has a $100,000 home in Lancaster with a 77% equalization rate and in another town with a 100% equalization rate, then the home would be worth $77,000 in Lancaster and $100,000 in the other town, Baker said. “That’s the reason you do a re-evaluation,” said Baker.

That analogy is confusing to me. Clarification is needed as I don’t understand what a property’s value, or the sale price of a home has to do with property assessment or taxes paid in today’s market where prospective buyers are interested in value and often overbid the asking sale price. Individuals I know looking to purchase homes base their wants on municipal services provided, safety and school evaluations. Property assessment and taxes enter into an equation only if the sale appears overvalued.

Lastly, I find it interesting that no one asks what happens if this ‘hot’ house market deflates and how that will impact equalization rates and taxes. Or, asking how much this reassessment process costs the town – especially those clamoring for reassessments performed on a two-to-three year basis, and with a stable equalization rate?

As far as I'm concerned, equalization rate is nothing more than saying, "we're too lazy to keep up with assessments, so we're going to blanket apply increases without actually increasing your assessment."

Here's the Assessor's statement that Councilman Leary provided at tonight's meeting.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, equalization rate is nothing more than saying, "we're too lazy to keep up with assessments, so we're going to blanket apply increases without actually increasing your assessment."
    Also, as a resident of Newstead, the new assessment won't affect the assessor herself.

Georgia L Schlager

The amount of tax collected should not increase by one cent after a reassessment if done correctly.

Interestingly enough, banks tend to use zillow to figure out the value of a home as this is more reliable then a town assessment.

The Assessor’s statement that Councilman Leary provided at Monday nights town board meeting was also accompanied with a spreadsheet indicating the percentage of assessment increase certain town administrators should expect to see.

The average assessment increase was 33%. It ranged from 19-44%. There was no estimate provided where the cutoff percentage is regarding where one would expect to see a tax increase, based on last year’s tax roll - or what to expect in 2021 tax status as the tax rate should change after the budget is finalized.
    Property owners will have a better idea when receiving their assessment estimates in the mail this week.

I have yet to hear the cost of doing the reassessment, or whether the town gets compensation from the state to offset the cost in getting municipalities back to 100% market value assessments.

Nor has the Assessor (or town) provided any information as to why town ‘partial reassessing updating’ is not feasible. If the Assessor is not going to hold a public informational meeting – as held by previous assessors – information should be posted on the town website.

Lee, I believe Councilman Leary mentioned the cost when he was giving his committee reports at the beginning of the meeting.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Lee, I believe Councilman Leary mentioned the cost when he was giving his committee reports at the beginning of the meeting.
    Yes, Gorga, councilman Leary did provide added assessment information at the regular meeting not provided at the work session. Besides re-reading the Assessor’s statement Leary provided:

• Reassessment (reval) process cost - $297,000.
    • Town will apply for partial state reimbursement cost after July 1st.
    • Estimated tax status will be based on the 2019 tax levy. True tax increase / decrease not defined until after the 2020 budget is finalized and tax rate established.
    • Advantage of going to 100% equalization rate on STAR and other relief programs.

Contacting the Assessor’s office today, I received the following information:

“The contract cost for the reval is $282,000 plus another $15,000 for the printing, stuffing and mailing of notices.

As far as getting reimbursed from the State for performing the project, a certain amount of money is put into the state budget for reimbursements, and the town won’t know the amount of reimbursement until the budget is passed. ORPTS advertises it as being between $2 and $5 per parcel. Historically, the Assessor believes, it was never actually the $5 as advertised. So, if we use $3/parcel at about 19,000 parcels, that is $57,000.

The Assessor declared the town can apply for the state aid after Final Roll has been filed (early July), with a deadline of September 30th (assuring that it will be as soon as possible to make sure we get as much as we can).

The Assessor feels more comfortable speaking one-on-one to residents with questions instead of conducting a public informational meeting where information can be misconstrued.

Comment

Having yearly ‘partial’ reassessing can be costly, not provide town-wide credible results, not necessary and a waste of money if the equalization rate is in the 90’s.

Other municipalities that used the ‘partial’ format have stopped doing so because of unreliable / inconsistent results and resident dissatisfaction.

How can a public information meeting be misconstrued?
    I believe there is more of a chance that the whole process is misconstrued when they're not open and transparent.
    I am for the reassessment. I just think Marrano handled it better by being transparent and out there with the public.
    just my opinion

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

The reassessment process is to level the playing field where all property owners are paying their fair share in taxes and where the intent is also to bring the equalization rate (level of assessment) back to 100% market value to accomplish that goal – and to also receive appropriate STAR and other exemptions.
    Lee, I really do not know where I stand on this current reassessment process.

From the information that I have concerning our home, I really can not bitch; I think my reassessment was more than fair.

But, I have noticed that others suggest the opposite. This case in point posted on FB, appears to be not only unfair, but bizarre:

NAME REDACTED

I’m new to this
    My assessment went up $150k, is there any way to fight this?
    NAME REDACTED

ok
    I paid $202k and it’s assessed now for $320k. Seems crazy 5 years later after purchase.
    Reference: https://www.facebook.com/groups/201245776595122/

Just my opinion, something is not right with this process, at least in the above-specified case which is deserving of challenge, especially when considered against these sweetheart deals...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 3rd, 2020 at 09:33 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    How can a public information meeting be misconstrued?
    I believe there is more of a chance that the whole process is misconstrued when they're not open and transparent.
    I am for the reassessment. I just think Marrano handled it better by being transparent and out there with the public.
    just my opinion
    I did attend the assessment informational meetings Marrano and Fusco held and found some attendees were skeptical about the process and did misrepresent / misstate the information they received to others.

Even the media coverage was not exact. So too was the recent coverage in the Lancaster Sun regarding equalization rate having an impact on home sale value between two municipalities with like properties.

The Town Assessor is encouraging residents with questions to call her office or GAR Associates for clarification where a one-on0one exchange is best to answer concerns and appeal process.

The informational meetings I attended were poorly attended.

Hey, Mark:

Regarding your recent post (#11), I have not received my reassessment statement, nor do I have a Facebook account.

Regarding the Facebook post: I paid $202k and it’s assessed now for $320k. Seems crazy 5 years later after purchase.

Its possible considering the fluid home sale market of the last several years and what comparable homes are selling for. Considering the last reval was conducted 10 years ago, and that no information was provided here as to market value assessment in 2010, the increase may be in line.

If the individual believes he is being over-assessed, he has the right to challenge his re-assessment to the Assessment Board of Appeals.

Regarding the Facebook post: I’m new to this
    My assessment went up $150k, is there any way to fight this?

That is a huge increase, but not knowing what the property was assessed at in 2010, it is hard to past judgment.

In the past 10 years, the housing market has heated up and it is likely that some homes have increased 50 percent in value – and more. Some homes that sold for $200,000 in 2010 are selling for $300,000 and more in today’s market.

From the information and examples provided by Councilman Leary and the Town Assessor, it appears assessment increases will have to exceed 30% before a tax increase occurs – WAG, Wild Ass Guess on my part.

Residents whose assessments exceed 40% should do research before appealing their increases – OARS, recent & comparable sales, etc.

I will tell you that in 2010 I received several contacts from residents complaining above the increase in their assessments and how unfair the process is. By example, the one individual complained that their assessment had increased from $190,000 (2005) to $220,000 (2010). After listening to all the reasons cited by the individual on the fairness of the process, I asked this individual what he thought he would ask if he were to put his up for sale. The individual did not hesitate to answer: “At least $250,000 to $260,000.” All I said was, “Did you here what you just said? That you believe your home could sell for far more than its assessed? The next sounds I heard were, “Oh, ****’; click!

The question everyone should be asking before considering filing an appeal is: “Is my home assessed at ‘market value’? Could I sell my home for this amount? If not, file an appeal. I would advise getting your house professionally appraised and taking documentation and pictures to validate your claim.

Lastly, Mark, your Condominium Law 339-y tax break reference is for another day. I have already covered the inequity of that program and the tax money lost to the town from this scam. Assessors can do nothing about it as the program is regulated by the State. The town has twice written to Albany to express its objection to the program format.

Kudos again to Councilman Leary for doing his due diligence as Town Assessment Committee Chair to get information to the public.

Yes, great job by the councilman. It's too bad the assessor herself did not do the same.

Georgia L Schlager

I went from $202k to $248k. Seems fair to me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information