Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster 2020 property reassessment

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Looking further into this, the homeowner herself purchased the property 5 years ago for $313,000.
    One would assume that she felt the property was worth more than the $165,000 and to go up $12,000
    from the purchase price in 5 years isn't really bad.
    This is a perfect example of what breeds confusion and results in claims of unfairness.

In his hot home sales period where buyers with a limited amount of homes on the market are often willing to bid and pay above the asking price (market value) of the home. This type of purchase impacts and skews the level of assessment for homeowners who have no intent of moving – especially those who are in no financial position to move and face even more financial stress in having to pay higher taxes.

Equally frustrating for homeowners who have like homes who have not ‘updated’ their homes (or don’t have the means to update their homes) yet are being taxed as a ‘comparable’.

On another matter, my assessment did increase by 38% as I stated in an earlier post and will be challenged – examining street sales, neighborhood sales and comparable sales.

What was equally disturbing was the data presented for the ‘hypothetical’ tax increase. My taxes are estimated to increase by $280.
    The total taxes paid for 2019 were understated by $800. Using the data presented in the statement, I should see an increase of 8.8% in taxes. Using my ‘real’ 2019 taxes paid, the increase comes to $347.

I would advise you check your assessment statement data for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    This is a perfect example of what breeds confusion and results in claims of unfairness.

In his hot home sales period where buyers with a limited amount of homes on the market are often willing to bid and pay above the asking price (market value) of the home. This type of purchase impacts and skews the level of assessment for homeowners who have no intent of moving – especially those who are in no financial position to move and face even more financial stress in having to pay higher taxes.

Equally frustrating for homeowners who have like homes who have not ‘updated’ their homes (or don’t have the means to update their homes) yet are being taxed as a ‘comparable’.

On another matter, my assessment did increase by 38% as I stated in an earlier post and will be challenged – examining street sales, neighborhood sales and comparable sales.

What was equally disturbing was the data presented for the ‘hypothetical’ tax increase. My taxes are estimated to increase by $280.
    The total taxes paid for 2019 were understated by $800. Using the data presented in the statement, I should see an increase of 8.8% in taxes. Using my ‘real’ 2019 taxes paid, the increase comes to $347.

I would advise you check your assessment statement data for accuracy.
    While examining mine, I noticed that when they calculated the town tax, they only included -

Town tax
    Highway Bridge tax
    Police Fund

No refuse
    No lighting
    No fire protection
    No sewer
    No water

Georgia L Schlager

On another social network, a resident wrote that her assessment doubled. It increased 100%.
    I looked up her assessment. It only went up 38.7%. Some people are crying wolf
    Someone with the same last name as the owner of a village business?

Buffalo News report on 2020 Lancaster Reassessment

No one was spared in Lancaster’s revaluation blitz, as 19,202 assessment notices were mailed this week, the first time in a decade a townwide reassessment was conducted.

Town officials and department heads said their own property values have increased from 19% to 48%.

Supervisor Ronald Ruffino’s home on Pleasantview Drive saw a 26% increase, from $210,000 to $265,000. Trustee David Mazur of Red Clover Lane saw a 27% increase from $287,000 to $365,000. Town Justice Anthony Cervi’s home on Nicholas Lane jumped 23% in value from $324,000 to $400,000.

Town clerk Diane Terranova experienced a 44% increase on her sixbedroom home on Lake Road, from $181,000 to $260,000. Police Chief William Karn experienced a 19% hike, from $210,00 to $249,000. Part-time assessment clerk Tina Powell of Heritage Drive saw the highest percentage increase of Town Hall workers, 48%, with her projected assessment jumping from $174,000 to $257,000.

Missing from the list I posted earlier (#17) are:

Code Enforcement Officer Fischione - $186,000 to $240,000 (29% increase)

Highway Superintendent Dan Amatura - $163,000 to $223,000 (39% increase)

Justice Jeremy Colby - $231,000 to $283,000 (23% increase

What fails to get mentioned is that the estimated percentage cutoff number for those that will realize a tax increase is 30% (% increase in assessment from 2019 to 2020).

So, the only names listed who exceed that percentage and will see tax increases are Leary (just over at 2%), Amatura (9%), Terranova (14%) and Powell (48%).

So, if someone screams, "My taxes went up $70,000," they should be asked, "what percent of assessment were you increased?"

Lee, if people are paying above the asking price that price paid is the market value and sellers are underpricing their homes. I suppose realtors don’t mind underpricing a property a bit in a hot market. When it sells above asking price the realtor looks like a rock star and customers recommend them to others.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Lee, if people are paying above the asking price that price paid is the market value and sellers are underpricing their homes. I suppose realtors don’t mind underpricing a property a bit in a hot market. When it sells above asking price the realtor looks like a rock star and customers recommend them to others.
    Indeed!

Your true market value is never established until you put your house on the market.

While examining mine, I noticed that when they calculated the town tax, they only included -

Town tax
    Highway Bridge tax
    Police Fund

No refuse
    No lighting
    No fire protection
    No sewer
    No water
    Yes, Gorga, spot on.

Examined two assessment letters individuals with like concerns emailed me and unit values not based on assessment are omitted - and rightfully so. That does not imply that those unit values don't also increase.

My assessment went up $46k. My estimated taxes went down $521.

I have a hard time believing that Lancaster won't raise taxes and get a nice windfall and still have our taxes go down, just not as much as they potentially could.

My assessment went up 38%
    My estimated taxes went up 11.5%

Georgia L Schlager

My estimated school tax increase was 26%

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Indeed!

Your true market value is never established until you put your house on the market.
    That’s why the assessment game works to the advantage of government. It is always subject to second guessing that pits homeowner against homeowner and distracts from attention to the levy which is the root cause of tax increases.

There is one resident whose assessment went up $96,000 but she’s okay with it as she feels her house is worth what it was assessed as.

Georgia L Schlager

My assessment also increased 38% and my estimated tax increase is 8.8% ($280).

Neubs is one lucky guy. I have no idea how that is possible?

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Neubs is one lucky guy. I have no idea how that is possible?
    Yes it seems that anyone whose new assessment is less than their previous FMV had the tax reduction.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information