Thread: Bon Ton closing

Bon Ton closing

The Bon Ton is closing their Northtown Plaza store 82 people out of
    work

Quote Originally Posted by PalmTree
    The Bon Ton is closing their Northtown Plaza store 82 people out of
    work
    Says who?

Considering that this is just across the street from the proposed WalMart, I suppose this would be a good time for the Town Board to come in and down-zone this property, as well - in order to make sure a nasty Big Box doesn't fill up the friendly, family department store.

On second thought - I do believe the owner of the Plaza is a Republican Committee member. So I guess this won't happen.

Bon-Ton closing Northtown Plaza store

Bon-Ton closing Northtown Plaza store
    Updated: 03/13/07 4:29 PM

The Bon-Ton Stores announced today that it will close its 108,000-square-foot store in the Northtown Plaza on Sheridan Drive in Amherst. The company also has plans to sell its Irondequoit store in Rochester. Both locations are scheduled to close by mid-May 2007, the company said in a statement. The Northtowns store opened in 1994, when Bon-Ton bought the Adam, Meldrum and Anderson stores. About 75 people work at the store and they will be invited to apply for positions at nearby stores or to receive career transition benefits or severance, the company said. For a complete story, see Wednesday's Buffalo News.

fin@buffnews.com
    Micheal

I guess Palmtree, the Queen of Doom and Gloom is correct:

http://www.buffalonews.com/258/story/31880.html

Looks like they are closing their Irodoquoit store too. Both Eggertsville and Irodoquoit are inner ring suburbs that are experiencing racial turn over and declining incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by therising
    On second thought - I do believe the owner of the Plaza is a Republican Committee member. So I guess this won't happen.
    Do the Luthers still own it? My mother worked for them once, not likeable people.

Considering that this is just across the street from the proposed WalMart, I suppose this would be a good time for the Town Board to come in and down-zone this property, as well - in order to make sure a nasty Big Box doesn't fill up the friendly, family department store.
    Not enough parking for a Wal-Mart unless they get a waiver.

I can't believe the government is allowing them to close. I mean to just lose all those jobs. Why aren't any public sector employees complaining that "all those layoffs will hurt the economy"? I think Bonton should do what the public sector does and reduce those jobs over 30 years with graduated reductions in pay and benefits and then close!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Enough
    I can't believe the government is allowing them to close. I mean to just lose all those jobs. Why aren't any public sector employees complaining that "all those layoffs will hurt the economy"? I think Bonton should do what the public sector does and reduce those jobs over 30 years with graduated reductions in pay and benefits and then close!
    Do these employees get to cashout before they go? Sickdays? unused vacation days? Longevity pay? etc etc?

It looks like it might signal the decline of the entire Northtown Plaza then...

It's really gone downhill lately...

I used to love shopping at Northtown Plaza but with them losing first CVS and now their biggest anchor, the Bon Ton, it will probably decline entirely.

Years ago Northtown Plaza was an "uspcale" plaza with AM&A's, Bergers, etc. and now it has gone more of the junk store route. But I still love Shopper's Choice, The Banzai store and some of the others.

Yes, I know... It's just CHANGE and the retail landscape does change. It may be alarming at first but it is nothing really to be afraid of. Years back when they opened up the "Consumer Square" on the Boulevard it really knocked the other plazas off their pedestals. Northown and TJ Maxx plaza have been facing decline and the Crawford Plaza that used to be Vix plaza has been looking worse for the wear also.

But that's just what happens I guess. Change comes.

And Downstate, I always dig what you say but do you really think it's all "racial turnover" and incomes? That might be painting it with a broad brush. Look at University Plaza's recent swing upward and that's in a racially and economically diverse area. I think that a shopping plaza's success really has not as much to do with the demographics of the immediate area and more with how successfully or unsuccessfully it is marketed and kept up. It also has to do with how successful the individual store are.

Look for example at Eastern Hills Mall, on paper it's a marketer's dream becasue it is located in a vast commercial area near much upper income homes. However every time you go there it's a barren and empty hall. It could be that they just don't have the caliber of "trendy" stores that the other malls such as the Boulevard and Galleria do... Or it could be that people who have a lot of money drive to the Galleria rather than shop at the closer but not as successful mall?
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Just curious - how many of you would visit NorthTown plaza less often when BonTon is gone?

I always got the impression that the smaller stores fed off each other more so than BonTon.

Just curious - how many of you would visit NorthTown plaza less often when BonTon is gone?

I always got the impression that the smaller stores fed off each other more so than BonTon.

I haven't been in that Bon Ton in at least 5 years. The main reason I go to Northtown is Taste of India.

Ironically, I haven't been to that Bonton in years but stopped in last week and was taken back on how few customers were there. I couldn't name any of the other stores in that Plaza. I used to shop there regularly.

We should factor in that more and more people are shopping online. No one else has touched your purchases and you can frequently avoid paying taxes.

Probably the quickest solution would be for the Town to buy it and put their municipal building there. They've outgrown Town Hall and are eating up community space at the Community Center for office space. Considering their track record in buying old buildings...this should be a natural. Isn't it in Eggertsville? Then maybe there would be a greater police presence in that area and some of you can quit belly aching about Eggertsville getting the short end of the stick.

Someone call Ward or Schratz and get them started on it. Is the Church done yet???

Actually I went to the Bon Ton a month ago because I had an old gift card...

I was shocked by how overpriced everything seemed to be there... Maybe that is part of their problem? Are they are aren't they "upscale?" I never thought they were an "upscale" store; I always thought they were more on par to a typical department store like a Penney's. The prices however were ridiculous.

People in Western New York love their bargains...
    I'm just here to make people laugh. And to confuse people. Oh, and to irritate people.

Probably the quickest solution would be for the Town to buy it and put their municipal building there. They've outgrown Town Hall and are eating up community space at the Community Center for office space.
    "Quickest solution"??? Do you really think it's the Town's responsibility to help the owner find a quick solution??

And the BonTon is over 100,000 SF. Do you really think the Town needs that much space???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information