Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Lancaster Town Council primary

2020 Lancaster Town Council primary

In two days, Lancaster’s political parties will be canvassing the town seeking candidate petitions for primary ballot eligibility to fill the vcated council seat in the recent election.

Former council member Dawn Gaczewski who recently ran for Town Supervisor and lost by 130 votes, has been endorsed by the Republican and Conservative Parties. The Democratic Party will hold a committee meeting Monday night to endorse and announce its candidate. Haven’t heard regarding the Independence Party endorsement.

One can be assured that as in the recent election, there will once again be ‘spoilers’ gathering primary petitions attempting to siphon off votes from the endorsed candidates hoping to dislodge the party-endorsed candidate form the ballot line. That’s politics 101.

With the current town board make-up of two Republicans and two Democrats, this year’s primary and election is of utmost importance and should actually focus on town related issues, future town direction in growth and accommodating for said growth, and overall community best interests.

One would hope that today’s voter focuses on signing a petition, or casting a future vote not based solely on party line affiliation or ‘hey I know that person and they are nice and getting my support’. Candidates should be knowledgeable and/or experienced in town politics to answer questions regarding issues that plague the town and present a plan for remedy. Issues like overburdened roads, traffic and traffic safety issues, wanton destruction and filling of wetlands (for developer best interests) and resulting flooding and drainage issues, infrastructure, low water pressure, growing debt load (near $1 million per year in interest payback), etc.

We are now faced with a $6.2 billion state debt and where our esteemed Governor is looking to close that debt load by pushing back on the counties and school districts. Our county taxes just increased by over 12%. Our town spending and taxes have increased. We are well into a reassessment and hearing nothing and where the final tax roll is due in July. Where are the promised informational meetings? What are the candidates thoughts on the outrageous Condominium Law 339-y tax breaks where some recipients are receiving tax breaks that far exceed the costs of providing for town services not received; in fact, their entire Association fees, and then some.

Unlike last year’s primary and election, we should not be hearing what the other candidate is not doing, but what this candidate plans to do. Last year’s primary was downright deceitful and corrupt, we don’t need a replay.

Hopefully, residents will be considering addressing more than why their garbage was not picked up when talking to the candidates. There are residents who are voicing concerns on whether they can continue to afford paying the taxes to live in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    In two days, Lancaster’s political parties will be canvassing the town seeking candidate petitions for primary ballot eligibility to fill the vcated council seat in the recent election.

Former council member Dawn Gaczewski who recently ran for Town Supervisor and lost by 130 votes, has been endorsed by the Republican and Conservative Parties.*
    I hope that the voters truly engage the process as if the future of Lancaster is dependent on their decision.

TheDemocratic Party will hold a committee meeting Monday night to endorse and announce its candidate.
    Either there have been some creative "Fake News" narratives disseminated, or the Democrat Party is in even more disarray than it was in 2019. These are the rumors I have heard:

(1) I understand that Mr. Bruso was asked and has subsequently refused the endorsement.

(2) I further understand that Deputy Supervisor McCracken was interested, and perhaps approached the Conservative Party County Chair, and was summarily rebuffed.

(3) Most recently, I have heard that a Pleasantview neighbor of Ron Ruffino has been solicited, and is the presumptive candidate that will be endorsed.

If three (3) above is true, it would appear to be an interesting reassertion of the "Friends and Family" template that Ruffino has already applied to his administration. The name I heard does not attach itself to an individual who, his residence venue notwithstanding, has weighed-in on the new Stutzman development or the water pressure issue, nor has been high-profile on other issues confronting the town.

Therefore, besides an assumed, obvious personal loyalty to Ruffino, and the attendant supportive Democrat majority, what would this individual bring to the public policy table?

But who knows?

The Democrats can be both cleaver and stupid.

Mazur was a smart move, but a party that can throw a competent incumbent such as Terranova under a bus, is also capable of doing the bizarre.

One can be assured that as in the recent election, there will once again be ‘spoilers’ gathering primary petitions attempting to siphon off votes from the endorsed candidates hoping to dislodge the party-endorsed candidate form the ballot line. That’s politics 101.
    We will see the same old names, Delcarlo, Caparasso, and Maciejewski and their stealth campaigns impact the Conservative and perhaps the Independence Lines?

Is Scott Pease going to make an appearance?

With the current town board make-up of two Republicans and two Democrats, this year’s primary and election is of utmost importance and should actually focus on town related issues, future town direction in growth and accommodating for said growth, and overall community best interests.*
    Absolutely Lee.

The voters need to understand that this town council seat will decide the majority and the future direction that the town takes.

More development and rezones?

More patronage and "slight-of-hands" disingenuous "conservative" fiscal management?

One only needs to look at the embryonic Ruffino administration's existing record, to recognize the foreseeable consequences of handing a majority to Ruffino and his Democrat handlers and bosses.

Support for more demands for more stipends, presented in such a way as to weaponize itemized expectations against the taxpayers.

More admonishments to citizens who dare to bring concerns to a public forum?

More allegations that legitimate oversight is the equivalent of obstructionist bullying?

More public tutorials by the Highway Superintendent on Council Session procedures?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 24th, 2020 at 11:26 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Well i hope that the Village Mayor does not come around asking for help getting Dawn a position back with the town.

One would hope that today’s voter focuses on signing a petition, or casting a future vote not based solely on party line affiliation or ‘hey I know that person and they are nice and getting my support’. Candidates should be knowledgeable and/or experienced in town politics to answer questions regarding issues that plague the town and present a plan for remedy.Issues like overburdened roads, traffic and traffic safety issues, wanton destruction and filling of wetlands (for developer best interests) and resulting flooding and drainage issues, infrastructure, low water pressure, growing debt load (near $1 million per year in interest payback), etc
    Lee, your suggestion would seemingly go a long way in determining whether a candidate on a minor party line is a sincere and honest player, or a so-called "Stalker Candidate," soliciting petition signatures not to advocate for the best interests of the town, but to create electoral mischief.

Your comments, illustrated in bold red print, if attached to the Democrat line and the rumored individual that I referenced in post #2, item (3), will be of particular import.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 24th, 2020 at 03:37 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Candidates should be knowledgeable and/or experienced in town politics
    I, personally don't think someone's knowledge or experience with politics plays any part in my voting decisions
    Knowledge about issues and their remedies. YES

I think Lancaster trustee and Lancaster music teacher Lynn Ruda would make a great council person.
    She has a great git-r-dun attitude. She doesn't let the grass grow under her feet. She thinks out of the box.
    Just my opinion.
    Last edited by gorja; February 24th, 2020 at 07:09 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I, personally don't think someone's knowledge or experience with politics plays any part in my voting decisions
    Just sayin'...

Definition of politics

1a: the art or science of government
    b: the art or science concerned with guiding or influencing governmental policy

Hmmm, a little hint at "inside" information, or perhaps disinformation?...

I think Lancaster trustee and Lancaster music teacher Lynn Ruda would make a great council person.
    She has a great git-r-dun attitude.
    Such a surprise choice would not surprise me...

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

But who knows?

The Democrats can be both cleaver and stupid...
    Also, I would not be shocked if the Democrats endorsed a another willing Republican. Who knows, a former Republican candidate for Town Office, or perhaps a former Village of Lancaster Mayor?

As I wrote Gorja, the Democrats can be either very cleaver or stupid.

She doesn't let the grass grow under her feet.
    Nah, she covers-up the grass with "roundabouts."
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 24th, 2020 at 07:41 PM.

I have no idea who the Democrats are endorsing. I'm not an insider or confidant of any group as you and Lee are.
    Ms Ruda has attended a couple of the Master plan implementation committee meetings.
    She just impressed me with her git-r-dun attitude.
    As I said, it was just my opinion.

Georgia L Schlager

I have no idea who the Democrats are endorsing. I'm not an insider or confidant of any group as you and Lee are.
    Ms Ruda has attended a couple of the Master plan implementation committee meetings.
    She just impressed me with her git-r-dun attitude.
    As I said, it was just my opinion.
    Oh Gorja, I'm just funnin' with you, and you know that.

I thought the "roundabout" crack was a pretty good line, eh?

Oh Gorja, I'm just funnin' with you, and you know that.

I thought the "roundabout" crack was a pretty good line, eh?

I do have to ask. You mentioned someone from the Stutzman group as a possible Dem endorsement.
    Then you remarked about friend and family. Aren't those people more constituents of the supervisor than friend or family?
    And it's not a hired position it's an elected position unlike the friend/family operation with the mayor/trustee and the events coordinator.
    But heh, I guess since it was Dawn and not Ruffino, that's okay.

Georgia L Schlager

I do have to ask. You mentioned someone from the Stutzman group as a possible Dem endorsement.
    Then you remarked about friend and family. Aren't those people more constituents of the supervisor than friend or family?
    And it's not a hired position it's an elected position unlike the friend/family operation with the mayor/trustee and the events coordinator.
    But heh, I guess since it was Dawn and not Ruffino, that's okay.

I think you misread my comments...

If three (3) above is true, it would appear to be an interesting reassertion of the "Friends and Family" template that Ruffino has already applied to his administration. The name I heard does not attach itself to an individual who, his residence venue notwithstanding, has weighed-in on the new Stutzman development or the water pressure issue, nor has been high-profile on other issues confronting the town.
    In any event, a proximity "coincidence!" My bad and thanx for straightening me out.

My goodness, with seemingly two such diligent and dedicated residents on Pleasantview, I am perplexed as to how so many significant issues such as the anticipated Stutzman development and water pressure thingy lacked high-profile focus, and for so long.

I do wonder if any members of the "No Stutzman Development" group were considered and/or interviewed? These folks I understand, were and remain true over-development activists and citizen warriors.

Also, I wonder why it was left to the very same Mayor to whom you referred in post #9, to lead the confrontation which was resultant in the weight-limit signs impacting Pleasantview, while the two stellar Pleasantview residents apparently remained silent?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 24th, 2020 at 09:13 PM.

Which is what I was trying to say. The candidate should have at least some involvement in town politics - attending meetings, etc., to gain some knowledge. Not necessarily an office holder. Our Supervisor has been in office 18 years and he openly admits he is still learning. Trump held no political office and look at the fine job he is doing. Sanders has been in office 30+ years and look at all he has accomplished and is now promising. (Sarcasm)

I will say that if neither Bruso or McCracken get the endorsement that does not bode well for the Democrats. If they were considered and refused, that bodes even worse for the Democrats.

She has a great git-r-dun attitude. She doesn't let the grass grow under her feet. She thinks out of the box.
    Just my opinion.
    So are you saying Ruda is being considered, or just personal opinion?

Based on information that I have received from a highly reliable source, I understand the endorsed Democrat for Town Council in 2020 is Michael Wozniak. I have no further details at this time.

Like I said...

But who knows?

The Democrats can be both cleaver and stupid.

...and...

Such a surprise choice would not surprise me...

...because based on past practices, I assume that the Democrats are the consummate practitioners of disinformation.

Conservatives and Independents need to recognize that at petition-signing time and on Primary Day, June 23.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 24th, 2020 at 11:06 PM.

Hey Mark:

As your sources have not been so reliable, I will wait until there is an official public announcement on the endorsement to comment.

However, if you are correct I will not hesitate to ask who is Michael Wozniak and what are his creds that make him so appealing to the Democratic Committee that the two names bandied about for the endorsement were not considered, or why not – especially considering I respect both individuals and felt they were well qualified for the candidacy. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of that committee meeting.

Considering all parties will have their membership out collecting petition signatures today (Tuesday) was this 11th hour endorsement a strategic move on the Dem part, and/or a Machiavellian move to garner petitions without the public having any knowledge of the candidate’s qualifications / agenda. Residents asked to sign such petitions should read the petition language and ask questions.

There is no question that the Dems will be out once again petitioning to ‘steal’ the minor party lines from the endorsed candidates. Welcome to Lancaster politics 2019. Let the treachery begin!

Hey Mark:
    As your sources have not been so reliable, I will wait until there is an official public announcement on the endorsement to comment.
    IMHO, from "Stalker Candidates" to revisionist historians, the Democrats in recent years appear to be nothing if not backroom dealers, palace schemers, and slight-of-hands showman. In that connection, I would say that my sources accurately reflected what was actually being disseminated: Disinformation.

Indeed, it would have surprised me if the previous name overtly bandied about would have been the choice.

**However, if you are correct I will not hesitate to ask who is Michael Wozniak and what are his creds that make him so appealing to the Democratic Committee*
    At this point Lee, I have only fragments of information.

Perhaps his appeal is a non-existent public service/political credential. With no trail of votes and positions, there will be no need to defend a record; no need to re-invent a personage; no baggage to unpack; no character to rehabilitate; just a blob of political clay to mold into a desirable narrative.

Tinfoil Hat Time Again:

In my opinion, this candidate may be like an onion, because the primary reason for its selection and appeal may lay under many layers.

As a ‘blank’, I am not involved in the primary process.

What would lead an individual to sign a petition for a candidate not knowing anything about that individual – at least before public announcement of the endorsed candidate’s name and bio?

The language in the petition? The integrity / credibility of the individual’s narrative seeking the signature?

The petitions roll out today, right?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information