Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook bans sacreligious web pages from site

Facebook bans sacreligious web pages from site

LAHORE, Pakistan – Pakistan lifted a ban on Facebook on Monday after officials from the social networking site apologized for a page deemed offensive to Muslims and removed its contents, a top information technology official said.

The move came almost two weeks after Pakistan imposed the ban amid anger over a page that encouraged users to post images of Islam's Prophet Muhammad. Many Muslims regard depictions of the prophet, even favorable ones, as blasphemous.

"In response to our protest, Facebook has tendered their apology and informed us that all the sacrilegious material has been removed from the URL," said Najibullah Malik, secretary of Pakistan's information technology ministry, referring to the technical term for a Web page.

Facebook assured the Pakistani government that "nothing of this sort will happen in the future," Malik said.

Officials from the website could not immediately be reached for comment. They said earlier the contents of the "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!" page did not violate Facebook's terms.

The page encouraged users to post images of the prophet to protest threats made by a radical Muslim group against the creators of the American TV series "South Park" for depicting Muhammad in a bear suit during an episode earlier this year.

Pakistan blocked Facebook on May 19 following a ruling by one of the country's highest courts. The Lahore High Court reversed its ruling Monday because of Facebook's response, paving the way for the government to restore access, Malik said.

The government will continue to block some Web pages that contain "sacrilegious material," but Malik declined to specify which ones.

The Facebook controversy sparked a handful of protests across Pakistan, many by student members of radical Islamic groups. Some of the protesters carried signs advocating holy war against the website for allowing the page.

Bangladesh also decided to block Facebook on Sunday but said it would restore access to the site if the offensive material was removed.

It is not the first time that images of the prophet have sparked anger. Pakistan and other Muslim countries saw large and sometimes violent protests in 2006 when a Danish newspaper published cartoons of Muhammad, and again in 2008 when they were reprinted. Later the same year, a suspected al-Qaida suicide bomber attacked the Danish Embassy in Islamabad, killing six people.

Anger over the Facebook controversy also prompted the Pakistani government to block access to YouTube briefly, saying there was growing sacrilegious content on the video sharing website. The government restored access to YouTube last week but said it would continue to block videos offensive to Muslims that are posted on the site.

Who even cares if Pakistan bans Facebook? Does Facebook really need Pakistan? Do we?

But ... feel free to offend everyone else.
    First Amendment rights are like muscles, if you don't exercise them they will atrophy.

this is actually dangerous territory. Facebook caved to the wishes of ONE religous gruop that is hell bent on killing innocent people. They removed a page that was meant to be 'funny'. However some wack job muslims took it as offensive and then the paki govt used its 'force' to persuade facebook to comply with THEIR wishes.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

People like to say you have free speech. and whatnot... what about the rights and feelings of the person who owned the page? Oh wait, hes an American, his rights and freedoms dont mean anything... forgot... sorry...
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by FMD View Post
    this is actually dangerous territory. Facebook caved to the wishes of ONE religous gruop that is hell bent on killing innocent people. They removed a page that was meant to be 'funny'. However some wack job muslims took it as offensive and then the paki govt used its 'force' to persuade facebook to comply with THEIR wishes.

Am I the only one that sees a problem with this?

People like to say you have free speech. and whatnot... what about the rights and feelings of the person who owned the page? Oh wait, hes an American, his rights and freedoms dont mean anything... forgot... sorry...
    I have a huge problem with it, double standard Bull crap! Im sure there are plenty of other "offensive" pages all over Facebook. What about those?? What do Americans have to do? resort to threatening to kill people?? It looks like that is an effective way to get what you want on Facebook! what a bunch of pansies. FALSEBOOK! Why are American companies suddenly "caving" to religious fanatics??? Its fishy

Yet it's perfectly ok to ridicule Christians and there beliefs but don't dare offend those crazy Muslims? What garbage.

Go to account settings and click deactivate account.

Probelm solved

Quote Originally Posted by yokes View Post

Probelm solved
    Thats not the friggin point man! Its the "ostrich behavior" of hiding your head in the sand that will be the final downfall of the America our grandparents and parents, fought for. "just delete it, just adjust you settings" WTF adjust YOUR settings! Wake up and smell the pile of **** this country is turning into while you are ignoring it!!

Quote Originally Posted by yokes View Post

Probelm solved
    Yokes, do you know if there is any way to "delete" an account? I can't find anything...
    If it weren't for the United States Military, there would be NO United States of America !

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    Thats not the friggin point man! Its the "ostrich behavior" of hiding your head in the sand that will be the final downfall of the America our grandparents and parents, fought for. "just delete it, just adjust you settings" WTF adjust YOUR settings! Wake up and smell the pile of **** this country is turning into while you are ignoring it!!
    Or its choosing to not utilize a company whose policies you don't agree with. Which is also a freedom our ancestors fought for.

Its not the end of America as we know it its an internet company.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRetired View Post
    Yokes, do you know if there is any way to "delete" an account? I can't find anything...
    Don't know sorry

If I'm the guy at Facebook who's making these decisions...I know damn well, that if I leave the group up, there's a pretty decent chance that my office is going to be the subject of death threats......
    So, guess what I'm going to do? I'm going to close the damn group.

If any of you feel so strongly in your support of Muslim-bashing, that you're willing to put your lives on the line for it, then God bless - go for it. Start your own site.

Guess what folks - terrorism works.

Quote Originally Posted by therising View Post
    If I'm the guy at Facebook who's making these decisions...I know damn well, that if I leave the group up, there's a pretty decent chance that my office is going to be the subject of death threats......
    So, guess what I'm going to do? I'm going to close the damn group.

If any of you feel so strongly in your support of Muslim-bashing, that you're willing to put your lives on the line for it, then God bless - go for it. Start your own site.

Guess what folks - terrorism works.
    You people are a bunch of puss wads... Terrorism only works because people are too afraid to stand up and say NO.. and my point originally was not that I am a Muslim basher, because then that would make me a hypocrite, I am also for freedom of religion, it is the point that, why should one religious group be allowed to force the hand of government officials to ban anything in public forum when it doesnt go all the way across the board?

Its a double standard.. and the weaklings way out. LET pakistan ban Facebook who CARES??? It a California based company so it is AMERICAN.

Im sure there are plenty of offensive JESUS and BUDDAH posts on there... why not ban these too? You see where im going with this??? OK I can delete my facebook all day but where does it stop people????

What if.. they decide the color of your house is offensive?? What if, someone thinks something you do , say, or display is against their beliefs?

Someone grow a pair around here..

Last time I checked...eh hem... making death threats was illegal in OUR country and offensive tou OUR people...So what now? nothing of course.. its too easy to sit back and be complacent about EVERYTHING until it pisses in YOUR cornflakes. Whatever. Lame

thats because Muslims are Gods people, and our president is Muslim and bows to Muslims and praises muslims while telling the world what a bunch of aholes Americans are.
    Willful ignorance is the downfall of every major empire in history.

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao, 1938

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    You people are a bunch of puss wads... Terrorism only works because people are too afraid to stand up and say NO.. and my point originally was not that I am a Muslim basher, because then that would make me a hypocrite, I am also for freedom of religion, it is the point that, why should one religious group be allowed to force the hand of government officials to ban anything in public forum when it doesnt go all the way across the board?
    Except that's not what happened. A private company decided to censor themselves.

Don't like it? Think its a pussy move? Ok stop supporting the company.

Its a double standard.. and the weaklings way out. LET pakistan ban Facebook who CARES??? It a California based company so it is AMERICAN.

Im sure there are plenty of offensive JESUS and BUDDAH posts on there... why not ban these too? You see where im going with this??? OK I can delete my facebook all day but where does it stop people????
    Well if its a outrageous as you are making it out to be millions will stop using the offending comapny and they wil either change their policy or go out of business.

What if.. they decide the color of your house is offensive?? What if, someone thinks something you do , say, or display is against their beliefs?
    you actually beleive this dont you? If I lived in Pakastan I'd probably be concerned, but since I don't I'm not concerned.

Someone grow a pair around here..
    Thanks prefer to use the brain between my ears rather than the balls between my legs in my decision making. This is not as tragic as you are screaming it is.

Last time I checked...eh hem... making death threats was illegal in OUR country and offensive tou OUR people...So what now? nothing of course.. its too easy to sit back and be complacent about EVERYTHING until it pisses in YOUR cornflakes. Whatever. Lame
    Missed the spot where they filed any charges, which would be well within their rights.

I really hope it hasn't gotten to the point where people are depending on Facebook to defend the American Way.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information