Thread: Wegmans' plastic bag removal: What shoppers need to know

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Wegmans' plastic bag removal: What shoppers need to know

BUFFALO, N.Y. — On January 27, Wegmans will be getting rid of single-use plastic grocery bags at all of its stores here in New York. This impacts the plastic bags shoppers receive when they cash out at the register. All of the bags used for produce, deli, meat, and in the pharmacy, are already made from 100 percent plant-based materials.
    https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...cxA3GaOoCFTBS8

You can also get a paper bag but it will cost you $0.05.
    If that Wegmans is located in a city, town, or village which agreed to the state-imposed fee, $0.02 will go back to that municipality, while $0.03 will go back to the state.
    What justification is there for the 5 cent fee?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...cxA3GaOoCFTBS8

What justification is there for the 5 cent fee?
    From the Wegman's website
    “By adding a charge for each paper bag, our hope is to incentivize the adoption of reusable bags, and in time, achieve our goal of eliminating all single-use bags,” said Jason Wadsworth, Wegmans packaging and sustainability manager

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The fee is state imposed.

You can also get a paper bag but it will cost you $0.05.
    If that Wegmans is located in a city, town, or village which agreed to the state-imposed fee, $0.02 will go back to that municipality, while $0.03 will go back to the state.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    The fee is state imposed.
    At stores where the county or municipality choose not to institute a 5-cent fee for paper bags, Wegmans will charge 5 cents per bag. The amount collected from the paper-bag charge will be donated to the local food bank serving each region.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    At stores where the county or municipality choose not to institute a 5-cent fee for paper bags, Wegmans will charge 5 cents per bag. The amount collected from the paper-bag charge will be donated to the local food bank serving each region.

The $0.05 isn't a big deal especially since they are donating it to a good cause in the food bank.

But I will guarantee you that charging customers a nickel for each bag is going to cause some customers to demand cashiers to perfectly pack bags to hold the absolute most while using the absolute least. It's going to be worse than when a boomer wants to write a check.

No more plastic bags...how will I ever clean up after my dog??
    Cant use my hands as the stuff stinks...what will I ever do?? (sic)

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Here you go

Use my affiliate link

https://amzn.to/2Rz3hbq

For $17.15 plus free shipping you can now clean up after your dog 1000 times. Maybe less depending on how many bags your dog can fill each time you take it for a walk.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    The $0.05 isn't a big deal especially since they are donating it to a good cause in the food bank.

But I will guarantee you that charging customers a nickel for each bag is going to cause some customers to demand cashiers to perfectly pack bags to hold the absolute most while using the absolute least. It's going to be worse than when a boomer wants to write a check.
    It's really no biggie to go back to paper bags. I guess it must be easier to grow trees if paper is fine again

General SK1657 1/6 BBL Paper Grocery Bag, 57lb Kraft, Standard 12 x 7 x 17, 500 bags

64.42 per 500 or 13 cents a bag.

https://amzn.to/2U8LIRc

Thread Information