Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Park land

Park land

Our town supervisor was out looking at a parcel for possible recreation space,
    soccer, lacrosse and walking trail.

I believe, it's this 70.5 acre parcel at 6256 Broadway

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    is the parcel already owned by the town or is a friend of supervisor looking to sell it?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    is the parcel already owned by the town or is a friend of supervisor looking to sell it?
    The parcel isn't owned by the town. It's a parcel that was looked at before but the owner wasn't selling at that time.
    It's flat land with very little trees. I do not know who the public officials friends are but I see no indication of your inference.
    All board members seem to be on board with this assuming the price is right

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Our town supervisor was out looking at a parcel for possible recreation space,
    soccer, lacrosse and walking trail.
    Regarding contemplated land usage, is there any consideration for a costly bricks and mortar facility lurking in the background Gorja?
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

How much ?

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Regarding contemplated land usage, is there any consideration for a costly bricks and mortar facility lurking in the background Gorja?
    Sorry, Mark, only outdoor activity. That's a Sojka wish item

Georgia L Schlager

Sorry, Mark, only outdoor activity. That's a Sojka wish item
    Oh, I was unaware that he spoke to that issue last night. Are you suggesting that he did?

The last I heard, some years back, there was a bit of banter and a general mussing by some regarding a rather strict, narrow use facility versus one that could serve the general population. Ya know, a place where the old folks could go to, and use, as well as the highly athletic youngsters.

BTW, is it true that our Thespian-In-Chief, eighteen years on the Council notwithstanding, was somewhat ill prepared to speak on some issues, such as certain aspects of the Master Plan, and perhaps, the still existent water pressure problem impacting Stutzman Road?

Hmm. The Democrat-controlled Erie County Water Authority should be able to confront and correct the latter, right or wrong?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 22nd, 2020 at 04:52 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Originally posted by mark blazejewski:
    Oh, I was unaware that he spoke to that issue tonight. Are you suggesting that he did?
    No, I'm not. He did here - https://soundcloud.com/user-32929237...700r#t=1:09:00

Georgia L Schlager

Thanks for the clarification at this very early hour of the morning.

Like I wrote a mere musing some years ago.

I need to try to go back to sleep after waking-up after a nightmare which was a beauty.

My dream was of Ruffino, dressed in fishing apparel, strutting into the Council Chamber, jumping on his desk, proclaiming himself "Supervisor For Life," and then admonishing all to now call him "DUCE!"

More than that, he announced an established line of succession limited to his heirs in perpetuity.

Yikes, imagine if that nightmare came true. Criminees, the world would have seen the House of York, the House of Windsor, the House of Lancaster, and if the dream would become reality, the Lancaster House of Cards.

If it becomes reality, I wonder which of those future heirs may acknowledge the inevitable disaster that such a Ruffino Line would bring, and will do the Harry and Meghan thingy, and move to Canada?

BTW, I woke up with Ruffino leaving the Council Chambers, dancing-up a storm, while singing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE3OBiFflHI
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 22nd, 2020 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

The last I heard, some years back, there was a bit of banter and a general mussing by some regarding a rather strict, narrow use facility versus one that could serve the general population. Ya know, a place where the old folks could go to, and use, as well as the highly athletic youngsters.

Mark,

I bought into that idea and worked unsuccessfully throughout my term to bring it to reality. With the schools restricting our access to their fields, pools and courts more and more each year, the hope was to find/build a facility that would be able to satisfy those needs as well as future opportunities. A facility that could be used year round by over a dozen different leagues and groups through the day and into the evening. I toured a number of options and found one that was close to perfect but I did not have enough support on the board to get it done.

I agree with the supervisor that we need more athletic fields for our growing leagues. There are additional opportunities including hosting tournaments that would also generate income. I believe grant opportunities were and are still available to build out such facilities (either indoor or outdoor) although I don't believe those can be used for the purchase of the land.

If the land discussed earlier in this thread is in the running, it has a lot going for it. Broadway can handle the traffic, no floodplains, already cleared so the turnaround time would be quicker.

One of the obstacles last time we discussed this a few years ago was that the town can't just buy the land but it had to put out a RFP of some sort listing the requirements and seeking options. If I remember correctly the results last time were not in the optimal locations, had flood plain issues and required clearing.

Matt

Thanks for the response Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Mark,

I bought into that idea and worked unsuccessfully throughout my term to bring it to reality. With the schools restricting our access to their fields, pools and courts more and more each year, the hope was to find/build a facility that would be able to satisfy those needs as well as future opportunities. A facility that could be used year round by over a dozen different leagues and groups through the day and into the evening. I toured a number of options and found one that was close to perfect but I did not have enough support on the board to get it done.
    I do thank you for your efforts towards that goal Matt, which I presume helped foster a thoughtful discussion in assessing the feasibility of such a project.

My folks, now passed, were never really interested in using the pools, but I'll risk a dirty look at the dinner table tonight for telling tales out of school, and reveal that my wife's late father was pool-addicted. I am sure that he would join me in those thanks.

But, to be faithful to my principles, I feel that we must prioritize our spending; sometime we don't get what we want for Christmas.

I agree with the supervisor that we need more athletic fields for our growing leagues. There are additional opportunities including hosting tournaments that would also generate income.
    Uncharacteristically, I have no snarky response to this; I am in substantial agreement.

One of the obstacles last time we discussed this a few years ago was that the town can't just buy the land but it had to put out a RFP of some sort listing the requirements and seeking options. If I remember correctly the results last time were not in the optimal locations, had flood plain issues and required clearing.
    That is my recollection as well Matt.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 22nd, 2020 at 11:59 AM.

Mark,

I agree with the supervisor that we need more athletic fields for our growing leagues. There are additional opportunities including hosting tournaments that would also generate income. I believe grant opportunities were and are still available to build out such facilities (either indoor or outdoor) although I don't believe those can be used for the purchase of the land.

If the land discussed earlier in this thread is in the running, it has a lot going for it. Broadway can handle the traffic, no floodplains, already cleared so the turnaround time would be quicker.

Matt
    For at least the past 15 years the town has stressed the need for more playing fields for outdoor supporting activities – baseball, soccer, football and lacrosse. Playing fields, not some multimillion grandiose recreation center.

The only brick & mortar building that should be considered is a public restroom on the property is a public restroom.

The taxpayer should be held harmless in project cost. Funding should come from Recreation filing fees, grants and assistance from the participating leagues using the fields, as well as field maintenance.

If the land is to be designated and designed as a Town Park, a different animal and there should be a referendum to allow for public hearing / vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Playing fields, not some multimillion grandiose recreation center.

The only brick & mortar building that should be considered is a public restroom on the property is a public restroom.
    Yes, exactly, and of course "Spot On!"

The mused conversation(s) some years back about giving consideration to various types of expensive facilities, was wisely litigated in favor of the necessary and financially doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    For at least the past 15 years the town has stressed the need for more playing fields for outdoor supporting activities – baseball, soccer, football and lacrosse. Playing fields, not some multimillion grandiose recreation center.

The taxpayer should be held harmless in project cost. Funding should come from Recreation filing fees, grants and assistance from the participating leagues using the fields, as well as field maintenance.

If the land is to be designated and designed as a Town Park, a different animal and there should be a referendum to allow for public hearing / vote.
    A question Lee. Wouldn't the purchase of the land be subject to a permissive referendum even if the purpose was just as recreational use only?

We do have to realize that are some residents without children who may use the current parks
    or walking trails themselves at the present time that don't feel there is a need for more fields.

I do believe there would be in a the end a majority in favor of it especially with all the league team players families and friends.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Playing fields, not some multimillion grandiose recreation center.
    Give people an inch and you know what happens..... You end up with a costly hockey rink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information