Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
Mark,

I bought into that idea and worked unsuccessfully throughout my term to bring it to reality. With the schools restricting our access to their fields, pools and courts more and more each year, the hope was to find/build a facility that would be able to satisfy those needs as well as future opportunities. A facility that could be used year round by over a dozen different leagues and groups through the day and into the evening. I toured a number of options and found one that was close to perfect but I did not have enough support on the board to get it done.

I agree with the supervisor that we need more athletic fields for our growing leagues. There are additional opportunities including hosting tournaments that would also generate income. I believe grant opportunities were and are still available to build out such facilities (either indoor or outdoor) although I don't believe those can be used for the purchase of the land.

If the land discussed earlier in this thread is in the running, it has a lot going for it. Broadway can handle the traffic, no floodplains, already cleared so the turnaround time would be quicker.

One of the obstacles last time we discussed this a few years ago was that the town can't just buy the land but it had to put out a RFP of some sort listing the requirements and seeking options. If I remember correctly the results last time were not in the optimal locations, had flood plain issues and required clearing.

Matt
Matt, I know you were addressing Mark but I do agree with you regarding the need and the well suited characteristics of the particular parcel.
If I remember correctly but I do a have a foggy brain that there was a grant that the town should apply for knowing that they would most likely not be awarded it. But applying for that grant and not receiving it would help in getting a different grant.

Does that ring any bell?