Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Ruffino Administration: "Had Enough Yet?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I knew that Morton served a short time as Republican Chairman for Cheektowaga, but never understood him to have been Cheektowaga Conservative Chairman.
    I agree. It was Gallo for quite awhile.
    On the ECGOP site, it does have Morton as Cheektowaga chair

Georgia L Schlager

When the King in done with his reign in the Village, the Queen must Take over Her control.
    Can’t believe the K & Q have not prioritized merging the Village and Town So they can RULE All.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I agree. It was Gallo for quite awhile.
    On the ECGOP site, it does have Morton as Cheektowaga chair
    Thank you Gorga and Mark for correcting my Cheektowaga screw up. I forgot Morton was a Republican but did know that Gallo was the Chair of the Conservative Party in Cheektowaga for some time – as well as Lancaster Conservative Party Chair until a few years ago.

Not sure about Cheektowaga politics, but I do know Gallo is no longer the Conservative Party Chair.

I live in Lancaster and do know that Deb Lemaster is the Conservative Party Chair. The Conservative Party had endorsed Dawn Gaczewski for town council.

I noticed you changed your signature Gorja.

Clever, but the signature does not seem to address the fact(s ) that the so-called "fiscal conservative" as Supervisor demanded a pay raise, the reinstatement of the Supervisor's stipend for budget duties, and if I am correct, has engaged a practice of gasoline fill-ups at the LCSD bus garage which I understand to be currently under investigation by the District Attorney's office, does it?

Perhaps these quotes may be of use to you for next signature, which hopefully will be of far more relevant to the issue of conservative governance in Lancaster:

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    The Giza campaign must think all the taxpayers suffer from short term memory loss. The 2012 budget and slight tax decrease is just an "election year budget" as Mr Hangauer stated. The Giza-crats stuck the taxpayers with a double digit tax increase in the 2011 budget.

Do the Giza-crats think that we would forget that?

The "election year police facilty construction" that laid on the back burner for 8 years with the Giza-crats wasting more than $3 million of taxpayer money on the Colecraft Fiasco. In 2003, it was politically motivated spending as it is in 2011.

The uncontrolled growth approved by the Giza-crats with not enough sewer capacity, poor infrastructure, low water pressure. The Giza-crats are never proactive just reactive.

The negotiating of the white collar union contracts, in which the elected officials receive the same benefits. Giza never found a stipend, he didn't liken.

Do the Giza-crats think we would forget about that?

Then there is the airport with their 3 IDA's, nonpayment of taxes and our Giza-crats over the years approving the airports expansion of more than 25% of a nonconforming use property without a public hearing.

Do the Giza-crats think we will forget about that?

At times, I have small bouts of senility like forgetting where I put my keys or glasses, but I'll never forget the sorry record of this administration.

Those quotes are good, but they lack vivid focus without this one:

"Council Member Ron Ruffino: “Bob, you always call me your right hand man, but I learned a lot through the years and I have been there for you and with you whenever needed."
    https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...ight=giza+2011

I'll never forget the sorry record of this administration.
    Indeed!

Considering this Ruffino comment to the Buffalo News on November 20, 2001...

"Ruffino said he's looking forward to the next four years on the Town Board. High on his list of goals is controlling growth, which he says will benefit the community as a whole."
    ...and the subsequent Ruffino voting record on growth...

*Summerfield Farms subdivision, phase 3, approved 12/03, 65 lots
    *Whispering Pines subdivision approved 12/2004
    *The Woodland at Pleasant Meadows subdivision, approved 2/06, 79 lots
    *Summerfield Farms subdivision, part 4, approved 1/07, 45 lots
    *Roseland subdivision, phase 2, approved 6/08, 59 lots
    *Brookside Townhouses, approved 7/08, 39 units
    *Pleasant Heights, approved 9/09, 8 homes
    *Prairie Landing subdivision, approved 5/11, 21 units
    *Hidden Pines, phase 1, approved 3/12
    *The Greens at Pleasant Meadows, approved 5/08, 63 units
    *Cross Creek subdivision, approved 1/08, 264 lots
    ...did not Councilman Ruffino answer his own November 20, 2001 question?:

"In my campaign speeches, I would ask, 'Who is Ronald Ruffino?' "..

Perhaps A Perfect Political Puppet For Giza?

Reference: https://buffalonews.com/2001/11/20/t...for-his-debut/
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 26th, 2020 at 02:07 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Is history about to repeat itself?...

2011:

Council Member Ron Ruffino: “Bob, you always call me your right hand man, but I learned a lot through the years and I have been there for you and with you whenever needed."
    Reference: https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...ight=giza+2011

The Lancaster Sun, August 6, 2020:

LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

The infamous ‘override tax cap limit’ resolutions.

Like many others when the first tax cap override resolution (October 17th, 2016) was passed, resident Deb Lemaster opposed overriding the tax cap resolution, believing there was no need for such proactive override protection. Ms. Lemaster did not speak at the public hearing (October 3, 2016) or the night of the resolution. Council members Ruffino and Walter voted ‘no’. The override was never used.

Once again, on August 7, 2017, there was a public hearing on overriding the tax cap limit again should the need be there. No one spoke on the matter at the public hearing. The resolution was adopted on August 21, 2017 – with only Ruffino being the dissenting vote. The override was never used.

Regarding Lemaster voicing disappointment in Gaczewski voting for the override, much ado about nothing. Many of us had reservations. In hindsight, it was the right thing, the proactive thing to do.

What is interesting is that then council member Ruffino expressed he would never vote to override the tax cap limit. Yet Supervisor Ruffino just proposed a tentative budget that became the preliminary budget when the town board approved the tentative budget, and it does not meet the tax cap limit – a 6.6% tax levy increase.

When I asked on the budget exceeding the tax cap limit at the public hearing, Budget Director Cuviello said not to worry that she found out that very day about the error, revised the budget proposal by added $240,000 more in fund balance to reduce the tax levy to 5.35%, thereby meeting the tax cap limit. There is a problem with that revision, namely, it is not allowed without the consensus of the board.

The preliminary budget is the filed budget of October 1st. It is a filed budget that exceeds the tax cap levy, and the time has run out for an override resolution.

Imagine that, a council member who swore he would never vote to override the tax cap just put out a budget that exceeds the tax cap limit. How ironic is that?

And what is even more absurd is that a second budget revision was issued the following day – which is also non-binding as it was made unilaterally, without board consensus. Duh!

Focus people on what’s important; what’s in your best interests. A proactive override that never happened, or an override that should have happened and did not – and should not be of concern because there is sufficient fund balance for such purpose of meeting the tax cap limit.

Why did Supervisor Ruffino effectively vote to permit Town employees to use the Lancaster Central School District fuel facilities to provide gasoline for their personal vehicles?

From The Lancaster Bee, November 5, 2020:

"The Town of Lancaster Board voted Monday to prohibit use of the fuel storage and distribution system at the Lancaster School District bus garage at 4082 Walden Ave. by all Town employees for use in their personal vehicles.

The resolution passed with council members Bob Leary, Adam Dickman and David Mazur voting for the resolution, and Town Supervisor Ronald Ruffino Sr. against the resolution."
    Reference: https://www.lancasterbee.com/.../town-passes.../...

Just My Opinion:

I found Mr. Wozniak's comments published in the November 26, 2020 Lancaster Sun very unsettling.

It appeared that Mr. Wozniak remained publicly silent throughout the 2021 budget process. Wozniak seemed to be timid in commenting on Supervisor Ruffino's request for the reinstatement of the Supervisor's stipend for budget duties, and his request for a 1.9% raise. Equally, Mr. Wozniak seemingly did not publicly support or object to Ruffino's use of the LCSD gasoline facilities to fill his own personal vehicle.

Now, after his election has been apparently confirmed, Wozniak seemingly suggested that the controversies and policies related-above were ALL resultant from "personality kind of stuff." Wozniak also stated that he was "more familiar" with Ruffino and Mazur than he was with Dickman and Leary. Mr. Wozniak also seemed to say that he would "leave" such issues and controversies "at the door."

If Wozniak was referring to the Ruffino personality, does the reader not agree?

In that connection, did Mr. Wozniak suggest that he would ignore such Ruffino personality-based controversial practices and policies in the interests of required legislative function?

Are these not the words of a partisan "right-hand man?"

There are a few words which may identify that sort of template, eh?

Last edited by mark blazejewski; November 30th, 2020 at 08:39 PM.

While you found newly elected town councilperson Mike Wozniak’s comments in the Lancaster Sun ‘unsettling’, Mark, I found them to be the stereotypical BS political rhetoric of a winning candidate.

Let’s cut to the chase. This was by far the most underplayed town election campaign I have ever witnessed. No campaign mailers, no flyers, nada, except for the 11th hour scurrilous, disingenuous mailer dispatched against Wozniak opponent Dawn Gaczewski, and absent submitter identity.

Mr. Wozniak claims he is ‘more familiar’ with town Supervisor Ruffino and Councilman Mazur but pledges to leave issues at the door. Seriously? A lifelong Democrat who was a Town of Lancaster committee man who changed party registration to Conservative Party to make him eligible to primary endorsed candidate Gaczewski; and who won by a handful of votes. Smart politics by the Lancaster Democratic Party Committee. To say that Wozniak will not beholding to the Democratic Party in policy decisions is ludicrous - IMHO!

Wozniak in commenting on current two-two board votes states, “There’s problems there, and it’s all personality kind of stuff. We just need to put that stuff aside and get to work.” Wozniak also comments that “now that the whole budget controversy is behind us…”

The ’personality kind of stuff’ Wozniak alludes to is related to attempts by Council member Robert Leary to hold the town, town officials and town workers accountable. The old days of ‘this is the way we always did things’ are over. That also goes for patronage hiring!

The so-called ‘budget controversy’ Wozniak refers to occurred because the Supervisor and his Budget Director filed a budget that can only be described as a cluster****, right up to the night of its adoption. Had Gaczewski remained on the board and not ran for Supervisor, a tentative budget not meeting the tax cap limit would never had been filed.

Mr. Wozniak comments he will be focusing on William Street infrastructure from Schwartz Road to Transit Road to alleviate traffic and traffic safety issues. He will work with the county to better infrastructure in high traffic areas. YAWN! There is a county plan already designed to address William Street infrastructure fostered over the years from the advocacy of former County Legislators Morton, Bruso and now Todaro. The county has no money, is waiting upon federal grant money to make the project happen, and I am sure that project is not on a short list for approval. In the meantime, the town allows more development to occur along William Street and Rachel’s Mediterranean Restaurant just received approval to co-locate pole signage bringing more traffic to the already overburdened Transit-William intersection.

Distraught by the loss of the Conservative Party endorsement and from behind the scene political machinations, Gaczewski failed to campaign openly and helped cause her own defeat. As a former town council person, she was experienced and by far the more qualified candidate.

Can’t wait to see the ‘independent’ Mike Wozniak in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

Can’t wait to see the ‘independent’ Mike Wozniak in action.
    Well, here comes "Captain Councilman" jumping into action Lee, and by far, he seems to be a legislative Marvel, eh?

Does it not seem that Wozniak, who had been substantially silent throughout the campaign year, is only now sharing with the residents he serves, what may have been, and continues to be, significant lurking dangers to town employees and interacting residents?

Lee, did you, or any other reader realize that town employees are perhaps engaging significant shortages and are in need of the necessary PPE; shortages significant enough to require this comment from Mr. Wozniak?

If such circumstances were and remain present, did they, and do they, not pose a threat to the safety and health of both the town actors and the interacting residents?

If such circumstances existed, and continue to exist, why did Wozniak remain silent during the entire campaign year about an issue of such urgency?

Also, exactly what town departments hold employees that may not be following CDC mandates?

Is Mr. Wozniak referring to the Police Department and our First Responders?

Is Mr. Wozniak perhaps pointing a finger at the Town Clerk's Office or Building Department?

Or, is Mr. Wozniak perhaps suggesting that Highway Department personnel are not following CDC mandates when they engage the public in their work?

Did not Mr. Wozniak, as one who sought the public trust, in the interests of safety and public health, have an obligation to articulate these purported issues in a timely way throughout this very difficult year?

If "We are all in this together," why were the residents required to place an electoral deposit with Mr. Wozniak before he shared with the residents his "skills and thought processes that can help to lead our town out of this crisis?"

If no such transgressions are present, at this time of tension and fear, why did Mr. Woznick raise such an issue?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 1st, 2020 at 06:34 AM.

Wozniak in commenting on current two-two board votes states, “There’s problems there, and it’s all personality kind of stuff. We just need to put that stuff aside and get to work.” Wozniak also comments that “now that the whole budget controversy is behind us…”
    What the Councilman-elect did not address was Councilman Mazur's support for the Leary resolution banning the use of the LCSD gas facilities for the personal use of town employees.

Since Wozniak suggests that such a controversial issue was driven by "personality kind of stuff," does Mr. Wozniak suggest that the Mazur position was/is reflective of perhaps a personality conflict with Supervisor Ruffino?

Does Mr. Wozniak oppose the Leary resolution, and if so, why?

Did not Councilman Mazur oppose the January inclusion of Ruffino's demand for the reinstatement of a stipend for the so-called budget duties of the Supervisor?

Does Mr. Wozniak support the future reinstatement of the stipend?

To say that Wozniak will not beholding to the Democratic Party in policy decisions is ludicrous - IMHO!
    I do not fear Mr. Wozniak's allegiance to the Democrat Party as much as I worry about Wozniak's possible strict, blind fidelity to Ruffino, personally, just my opinion of course.

In the meantime, the town allows more development to occur along William Street and Rachel’s Mediterranean Restaurant just received approval to co-locate pole signage bringing more traffic to the already overburdened Transit-William intersection.
    Indeed. Mr. Wozniak said that he would "inspire" businesses to further develop in the Walden Corridor. "Inspire," in my opinion, is not exactly a strong, assertive commitment to substantially limit development to that corridor.

Does not such a qualified comment recall the meaningless comments of then Councilman-elect Ruffino which appeared in the November 20, 2001 Buffalo News, which with the benefit of hindsight, now seem to have erroneously prioritized controlling growth?:

Ruffino said he's looking forward to the next four years on the Town Board. High on his list of goals is controlling growth, which he says will benefit the community as a whole."

Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 1st, 2020 at 08:15 AM.

Again regarding Wozniak's comments in the November 26, 2020 Lancaster Sun:

Are not Wozniak's words "There's problems there, and it's all personality kind of stuff. We just need to put that stuff aside and get to work," along with the comment regarding leaving "issues at the door" eerily reminiscent of the comments made to the Buffalo News by Councilman-elect Ruffino in November, 2001?:

Also on his list of priorities, he said, is to help restore professionalism to Town Board meetings and to put a positive spin on the negativism surrounding the community lately.

Reference: https://buffalonews.com/2001/11/20/t...for-his-debut/

Doesn't that similarity between the two comments suggest the very strong possibility that Wozniak will serve Ruffino as Ruffino previously served Supervisor Giza?...

Council Member Ron Ruffino: “Bob, you always call me your right hand man, but I learned a lot through the years and I have been there for you and with you whenever needed."
    Reference: https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...ight=giza+2011

Kind of clarifies these words from the August, 2020 Lancaster Sun, eh?

Last edited by mark blazejewski; December 1st, 2020 at 09:16 AM.

Lee, did you, or any other reader realize that town employees are perhaps engaging significant shortages and are in need of the necessary PPE; shortages significant enough to require this comment from Mr. Wozniak?
    It is my understanding no shortage of PPE’s exists in the town. In fact, Supervisor Ruffino recently spoke at a town board meeting on receiving recent CARES funding to purchase more PPE’s.

Supervisor Ruffino made it known early on his concern on the seriousness of Covid and its spread when the pandemic was surging in spring. He had even stated then that in his mind he didn’t even consider it essential to go to store to buy a loaf of bread. He promised to enforce the mask mandate – something we now find is not enforceable.

If the town were reticent in not providing its employees with PPE’s and this was never brought up (especially at budget time) by any town official or employee, I would hold the entire town negligible in not only protecting its employees, but for jeopardizing public safety as well.

Wozniak’s Lancaster Sun statement of hoping to do “due diligence” in making sure town employees have proper personal equipment and that they abide by CDC mandates was nothing more in my mind than political grandstanding. Much ado about nothing!

However, it does open the door to one questioning ‘what the hell did he mean here’?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information