Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ruffino Administration: "Had Enough Yet?"

Originally posted by mark blazejewski:
    Lancaster may be impacted by a very severe winter storm, perhaps even a blizzard, over-night and into tomorrow.

Mark, aren't you really reaching for issues with the supervisor by stating February is not a month a town supervisor should be taking vacation in WNY?
    In my opinion, any dire issue can come up in any month. We had the 2006 October storm, the 2014 November storm, the 150 year flood in July 2017.

Georgia L Schlager

Nah, I'm not a fancy pants political consultant, but Ruffino certainly needs one.

As far as raving lunatics, don't we already have a Highway Superintendent? And...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xlvKnRurGY ?
    Geez Mark, are you a member of the all work and no play crowd that you begrudge people from having a good time with friends and family during their off time?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Geez Mark, are you a member of the all work and no play crowd that you begrudge people from having a good time with friends and family during their off time?
    You sure can turn a phrase Ms. Gorja.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Attached Images Attached Images
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Anything missing out of this news story?...

Lancaster officials share in town revaluation hikes

By Jane Kwiatkowski
    NEWS STAFF REPORTER

No one was spared in Lancaster’s revaluation blitz, as 19,202 assessment notices were mailed this week, the first time in a decade a townwide reassessment was conducted.

Town officials and department heads said their own property values have increased from 19% to 48%.

Supervisor Ronald Ruffino’s home on Pleasantview Drive saw a 26% increase, from $210,000 to $265,000. Trustee David Mazur of Red Clover Lane saw a 27% increase from $287,000 to $365,000. Town Justice Anthony Cervi’s home on Nicholas Lane jumped 23% in value from $324,000 to $400,000.

Town clerk Diane Terranova experienced a 44% increase on her sixbedroom home on Lake Road, from $181,000 to $260,000. Police Chief William Karn experienced a 19% hike, from $210,00 to $249,000. Part-time assessment clerk Tina Powell of Heritage Drive saw the highest percentage increase of Town Hall workers, 48%, with her projected assessment jumping from $174,000 to $257,000.

Residents won’t know their tax bill until the final tax rate is determined when the budget comes in, said Robert Leary, the town board’s representative on the revaluation project. When reviewing the notice, residents should focus on the 2020 assessed value, said Rebecca Baker, assessor. This is the number future tax bills will be See Assessment on Page B12

Property owners have until March 30 to challenge assessments

ASSESSMENT • from B1 based on, starting with the school bill in September.

Assessment numbers are based on the inventory here and a visual inspection of the property’s exterior, said Baker. Property owners can challenge the new assessment. A residential assessment review application is available online or at town hall, 21 Central Ave. The deadline to submit the application is March 30.

“If there is anything we should know – backyard conditions, roof leaks, basements with water, submit supporting photos, appraisals and surveys,” said Baker. “We recommend that people fax, email or drop your materials off. We have 19,000 parcels. There is not enough time to have everyone come in and sit down.”

Property owners should also be aware that many exemptions have changed depending on the equalization rate, which is at 100%, Baker said.
    “The basic STAR exemption is $30,000. If the equalization rate drops to 77%, which is what the town was assessing before, the basic STAR was only $23,100,” Baker said. “That should offset some of the assessment.”

Leary believes the town should conduct assessments on a yearly basis. Leary, who lives on Sawgrass Lane, saw a 32% increase – or $85,000 – in his home’s value.

“That’s the issue. It would be easier to conduct assessments every year just to look for trends,” Leary said. “If the budget stays the same, the amount you’ll need to pay per thousand should stay the same – at least for the town taxes.”

No assessment plan fits every town, or all the time, said Baker. “If the real estate market is relatively calm and the equalization rate stays at 100 percent or even 95%, is it costeffective or advantageous to property owners to conduct a townwide project? No!” he said.

The town contracted in 2018 with GAR Associates, the Amherst real estate appraisal and consulting firm that recently conducted Buffalo’s assessment of 90,000 properties. The company’s $282,000 fee plus an additional $15,000 in printing and mailing costs is being paid for by the town over three years. After July 1, the town will be able to seek reimbursement for a portion of assessment costs from the state, said Leary.
    For one thing, I see no comment from "the most qualified and experienced candidate for Lancaster Supervisor."

In light of some rather significant confusion and concerns, I would think that the leader of the town, with eighteen years of Town Council experience;

the guy who rubber stamped developments over that same period of time;

the guy who never seen a rezone that he did not like;

and the eighteen-year, fiscally conservative Town Council member who was in a position of town leadership throughout the period of over-development, would come out of hiding, and in a forthright and calming way, explain to the town that he leads what the reassessment means, why the reassessments were not conducted on a more routine basis, and how people can address their concerns.

But, from the Supervisor: "CRICKETS!"

I wonder if he is on another vacation, or does he need a stipend for each and every issue and challenge that he reacts to?

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 6th, 2020 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Anything missing out of this news story?...

For one thing, I see no comment from "the most qualified and experienced candidate for Lancaster Supervisor."

In light of some rather significant confusion and concerns, I would think that the leader of the town, with eighteen years of Town Council experience;

the guy who rubber stamped developments over that same period of time;

the guy who never seen a rezone that he did not like;

and the eighteen-year, fiscally conservative Town Council member who was in a position of town leadership throughout the period of over-development, would come out of hiding, and in a forthright and calming way, explain to the town that he leads what the reassessment means, why the reassessments were not conducted on a more routine basis, and how people can address their concerns.

But, from the Supervisor: "CRICKETS!"

I wonder if he is on another vacation, or does he need a stipend for each and every issue and challenge that he reacts to?

Just my opinion.
    What about Councilman Leary who in two different publications advocated for yearly assessments?
    How cost-effective does he feel that would be to the taxpayers?

Leary the Liberal, eh?

Georgia L Schlager

What about Councilman Leary who in two different publications advocated for yearly assessments?

Leary the Liberal, eh?
    My questions and observations were directed at Ruffino's silence, not on the merits of a yearly assessment.

We wanted to lead the town, but one can't effectively lead from behind or by burying its head in the sand, just my opinion.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 6th, 2020 at 10:35 AM.

Leary the Liberal, eh?
    I believe that Ron Ruffino, the 18-year all-knowing, super-skilled, flawlessly-experienced Town Council member-turned social-butterfly Supervisor voted in favor of all of these developments:

*Summerfield Farms subdivision, phase 3, approved 12/03, 65 lots

*Whispering Pines subdivision approved 12/2004

*The Woodland at Pleasant Meadows subdivision, approved 2/06, 79 lots

*Summerfield Farms subdivision, part 4, approved 1/07, 45 lots

*Roseland subdivision, phase 2, approved 6/08, 59 lots

*Brookside Townhouses, approved 7/08, 39 units

*Pleasant Heights, approved 9/09, 8 homes

*Prairie Landing subdivision, approved 5/11, 21 units

*Hidden Pines, phase 1, approved 3/12

*The Greens at Pleasant Meadows, approved 5/08, 63 units

*Cross Creek subdivision, approved 1/08, 264 lots

I just wonder if the long-time Councilman Ruffino and his Democrat-controlled Lancaster Town Council's failure to reassess properties for I think 10 years, may have benefited the developers responsible for the above-mentioned?

Coincidence?...

Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 6th, 2020 at 11:46 AM.

I just wonder if the long-time Councilman Ruffino and his Democrat-controlled Lancaster Town Council's failure to reassess properties for I think 10 years, may have benefited the developers responsible for the above-mentioned?

Nah, I agree with Lee on this one.

Posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    In 2017, the equalization rate (of full market value) was still at 92%. Assessor Baker appeared at a town board work session in 2018 to advise the board that the equalization rate had dropped to 88% and that it was time to consider performing a property reassessment process. Despite acknowledging how the public dislikes the process, the town board decided it was time to act and the process to conduct a reassessment began. The process is a lengthy one and costly as well. The town did not act imprudently – especially considering the recent significant increase in property sale values (IMHO).

Georgia L Schlager

Nah, I agree with Lee on this one.
    I have no problem with the current reassessment attendant to the 2018 recommendation; it was long overdo in my opinion.

Your position is so noted, but my queries still stand.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 6th, 2020 at 12:32 PM.

"It is time our town is tuned into...the concerns of our citizens."---Ron Ruffino, Fall, 2019

Regarding the reassessment issue, the town's citizens seem very concerned, but based on this news story, does it not appear that Supervisor Ruffino seems silent on the subject?...

Lancaster officials share in town revaluation hikes

By Jane Kwiatkowski
    NEWS STAFF REPORTER

No one was spared in Lancaster’s revaluation blitz, as 19,202 assessment notices were mailed this week, the first time in a decade a townwide reassessment was conducted.

Town officials and department heads said their own property values have increased from 19% to 48%.

Supervisor Ronald Ruffino’s home on Pleasantview Drive saw a 26% increase, from $210,000 to $265,000. Trustee David Mazur of Red Clover Lane saw a 27% increase from $287,000 to $365,000. Town Justice Anthony Cervi’s home on Nicholas Lane jumped 23% in value from $324,000 to $400,000.

Town clerk Diane Terranova experienced a 44% increase on her sixbedroom home on Lake Road, from $181,000 to $260,000. Police Chief William Karn experienced a 19% hike, from $210,00 to $249,000. Part-time assessment clerk Tina Powell of Heritage Drive saw the highest percentage increase of Town Hall workers, 48%, with her projected assessment jumping from $174,000 to $257,000.

Residents won’t know their tax bill until the final tax rate is determined when the budget comes in, said Robert Leary, the town board’s representative on the revaluation project. When reviewing the notice, residents should focus on the 2020 assessed value, said Rebecca Baker, assessor. This is the number future tax bills will be See Assessment on Page B12

Property owners have until March 30 to challenge assessments

ASSESSMENT • from B1 based on, starting with the school bill in September.

Assessment numbers are based on the inventory here and a visual inspection of the property’s exterior, said Baker. Property owners can challenge the new assessment. A residential assessment review application is available online or at town hall, 21 Central Ave. The deadline to submit the application is March 30.

“If there is anything we should know – backyard conditions, roof leaks, basements with water, submit supporting photos, appraisals and surveys,” said Baker. “We recommend that people fax, email or drop your materials off. We have 19,000 parcels. There is not enough time to have everyone come in and sit down.”

Property owners should also be aware that many exemptions have changed depending on the equalization rate, which is at 100%, Baker said.
    “The basic STAR exemption is $30,000. If the equalization rate drops to 77%, which is what the town was assessing before, the basic STAR was only $23,100,” Baker said. “That should offset some of the assessment.”

Leary believes the town should conduct assessments on a yearly basis. Leary, who lives on Sawgrass Lane, saw a 32% increase – or $85,000 – in his home’s value.

“That’s the issue. It would be easier to conduct assessments every year just to look for trends,” Leary said. “If the budget stays the same, the amount you’ll need to pay per thousand should stay the same – at least for the town taxes.”

No assessment plan fits every town, or all the time, said Baker. “If the real estate market is relatively calm and the equalization rate stays at 100 percent or even 95%, is it costeffective or advantageous to property owners to conduct a townwide project? No!” he said.

The town contracted in 2018 with GAR Associates, the Amherst real estate appraisal and consulting firm that recently conducted Buffalo’s assessment of 90,000 properties. The company’s $282,000 fee plus an additional $15,000 in printing and mailing costs is being paid for by the town over three years. After July 1, the town will be able to seek reimbursement for a portion of assessment costs from the state, said Leary.

Where are Supervisor Ruffino's comments in the news story illustrated above?

It seems to me that Ruffino may be tuned-out from the concerns of Lancaster's citizens, eh?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 6th, 2020 at 04:07 PM.

Supervisors Of My Lifetime.

All swearing the exact same Oath of Office...

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the constitution of the United States, and the constitution of the state of New York, and that I will faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Supervisor, according to the best of my ability.

image (23).jpg

image (24).jpg

image (25).jpg

image (26).jpg

image (27).jpg
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 7th, 2020 at 12:20 PM.

...but with very...

image (29).jpg

image (30).jpg

...different priorities.....

image (31).jpg

...while always bearing in mind that the Supervisor is the "Face of Lancaster."

The dignity of the office?

YIKES!

Stipend Anyone?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 7th, 2020 at 12:21 PM.

Just two questions:

The Lancaster Town Council meeting, as of 12:30 p.m. this afternoon, is still on for this evening.

I understand that this meeting will be at the normal venue and observe normal procedures.

Other municipalities have already reacted to the Coronavirus crisis with dispatch.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/15/a...box=1584289332

The Town Council had to jump through hoops to accommodate the Supervisor's vacation last month, so I must ask, in the interests of public safety and health, has Supervisor Ruffino given any consideration to live streaming or perhaps teleconferencing the meeting?

Also, given the Coronavirus crisis, has the Supervisor considered any type of TIME EXTENSIONS or other remediation for residents to engage appeals with regards to the new property tax REASSESSMENTS?

Last edited by mark blazejewski; March 16th, 2020 at 01:52 PM.

has Supervisor Ruffino given any consideration to live streaming or perhaps teleconferencing the meeting?

Next meeting, they're going to try something like that so the public can call in to participate.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information