Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recreation Filing Fees and Fund use

Recreation Filing Fees and Fund use

Here's the response in the communications from Michelle barbaro to a resident's question
    on the fund's balance and its past usage.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Here's the response in the communications from Michelle barbaro to a resident's question
    on the fund's balance and its past usage.
    Gorja,

Thank you for posting this information, but I must ask do the expenditures listed truly reflect the intended use of the Recreation fund?

I understand that individuals who purchased new homes paid a substantial fee for promised services/facilities which relied on additional land acquisitions rather than maintenance of existing structures. Is my understanding correct?

Is it also true that if and when those exact same homes are resold, the new buyers do not pay such a fee, and therefore the absence of such revenue will negatively impact the Recreation Fund in the future?

Speaking of the issue of Recreation in general, has there been any movement on replacements for Messrs Everett and Rino?

The departure of these two outstanding volunteers was occasioned, I understand, by perceived "stagnated activity" attendant to the Town Board's seeming disinterest in confronting and advancing recreational issues. That disinterest was present during the many, many years that Supervisor Ruffino served as a member of the Town Board.

Furthermore, speaking of volunteer participation in government, can you post the stipend or compensation scale given to the secretary of LIDA?

I understand that a new secretary to the LIDA was appointed by the Supervisor, and if my understanding is correct, would not acceptance of such monies stipend contradict that possible appointee's previous philosophy of stipend acceptance?

Moreover, was not that now seemingly contradicted position on stipends present in the 2019 primary campaign during which Supervisor Ruffino supported the assumed appointee as a candidate for office?

Just askin'.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 2nd, 2020 at 11:21 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Gorga, thanks for posting Parks crew chief Michelle Barbaro’s response to a resident's question on the fund's balance and its usage.

Considering the town’s reinterest in purchasing land, it has yet to be defined what the land will be used for – playing fields only or a town park.

For years the town has been hearing of the need for more playing fields by athletic league sponsors and has agreed. The town is now hearing from residents that if the town is going to spend public tax dollars for parkland, there should be provisions for public use as well.

Residents have a right to information as to land use purpose, property purchase cost, all costs associated with the project design and development, and grants and other sources of revenue available to offset project costs.

A $2.5 million bond was approved in 1994 for the development of Westwood Park’s 175 acres – debt paid off in 2014. Can’t find any information as to use of bond money or offsetting grants. If the property in question is that mentioned by you, I would have to estimate the purchase price somewhere between $1.5 - $2 million in cost. As the town already carries a debt load of $30 million and is paying $1 million in annual interest, it should carefully consider what further debt it can afford.

This pursuit has been considered by the town for years, is early in the process and questioning what Recreational Filing Fees were used for was appropriate. If the property purchase were to happen, residents deserve to know what role Recreation Filing Fees would play, if any, in equipping or maintaining the land.

Filing fees are one-shots paid by developers / builders per unit in lieu of land development and provided greenspace for recreational purpose. The cost is most likely passed on to the homebuyer. That is what I have been led to believe over the years. If incorrect, someone please post correction.

As taxpaying stakeholders, residents should have a say in project design and all associated town costs.

As for Ms. Barbaro’s response, kudos for the transparency. Never seen such an accounting of how the filing fees are being spent. If one now suspects the fund is being spent inappropriately, he or she can focus on the spending line item in question.

Hey Mark:

You appear to presume that Gorga understands where you are going on your LIDA questions and comments. It is code to me.

I went on the LIDA website and found budget statements going back to 2008. The 2020 budget was approved in October 2019. Salaries, compensation, stipends are all listed – and before Supervisor Ruffino was elected LIDA Chair.

Now, by the vague language you are using, I have to assume the newly appointed LIDA Secretary is Ann Desiderio – unsuccessful candidate for Town Clerk who campaigned on the promise of doing away with stipends if elected. Well, we all knew that was BS, however, I disagree with your perception that the compensation is a stipend - a sum of money allocated for services provided in addition to duties beyond job description.

So, I am asking you whether the newly appointed secretary is Ann Desiderio? If so, isn’t it the Supervisor’s authority to appoint an individual to this board. The secretarial services position pays (since 2016) $7,500. As the self-proclaimed fiscal conservative I would opine that Supervisor Ruffino will not seek to increase that amount.

What I fail to understand why you are directing your concerns and questions to Gorga. She did support Town Clerk Terranova in the primary or election and was well aware and commented on Desiderio’s shortcomings.

All the information you seek can be found on the LIDA website – well, not really. The website has not been updated yet to reflect 2020 board members, administrators, consultants, legal, etc.

If you suspect this is a quid pro quo for the relationship forged between Ruffino and Desiderio during the 2019 primary and election, your suspicion is shared by many others. If the individual you are inferring to is not Desiderio, you are screwing with my mind and I apologize to Ms. Desiderio.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Hey Mark:*

You appear to presume that Gorga understands where you are going on your LIDA questions and comments. It is code to me.*
    Gorja has been a very reliable source for the Ruffino campaign and administration in past, and that is why my comments were directed at her.

Well, we all knew that was BS, however, I disagree with your perception that the compensation is a stipend - a sum of money allocated for services provided in addition to duties beyond job description.*
    No, my question distinguishes between compensation and stipiend...

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Furthermore, speaking of volunteer participation in government, can you post the stipend or compensation scale given to the secretary of LIDA?
    **So, I am asking you whether the newly appointed secretary is Ann Desiderio?
    No, my question did not concern Ann Desideio.

*If so, isn’t it the Supervisor’s authority to appoint an individual to this board.*
    Yes, absolutely, and he is totally responsible for that appointment.

The secretarial services position pays (since 2016) $7,500.*
    Thank you for confirming that figure because I have heard some outrageous numbers bandied about.

As the self-proclaimed fiscal conservative I would opine that Supervisor Ruffino will not seek to increase that amount.
    Since he was supportive of a candidate who disdained such stipends, I assumed he shared that candidate's value. Therefore, I was surprised that he made such a big deal on the Supervisor's stipend at the first meeting of his administration.

**What I fail to understand why you are directing your concerns and questions to Gorga. She did support Town Clerk Terranova in the primary or election and was well aware and commented on Desiderio’s shortcomings.*
    As I have written, Gorja appears to be an authoritative source. Some of the information that I have received was contradictory, I want to determine the what is exactly going on.

All the information you seek can be found on the LIDA website – well, not really. The website has not been updated yet to reflect 2020 board members, administrators, consultants, legal, etc.
    That is why I asked Gorja, because she has been a very reliable source in the past.

* *If you suspect this is a quid pro quo for the relationship forged between Ruffino and Desiderio during the 2019 primary and election, your suspicion is shared by many others. If the individual you are inferring to is not Desiderio, you are screwing with my mind and I apologize to Ms. Desiderio.
    I do share many of those general election campaign perceptions of Desiderio. However, I was, and remain, concerned about the Democrat Party endorsed candidate that Ruffino supported in the 2019 Democrat primary...

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Moreover, was not that now*seemingly contradicted position on stipends*present in the 2019 primary campaign during which*Supervisor Ruffino supported*the assumed appointee as a candidate for office?
    This should clarify things Mr. C.:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; February 3rd, 2020 at 07:37 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Filing fees are one-shots paid by developers / builders per unit in lieu of land development and provided greenspace for recreational purpose. The cost is most likely passed on to the homebuyer. That is what I have been led to believe over the years. If incorrect, someone please post correction.
    Thank you and I share your understanding.

As for Ms. Barbaro’s response, kudos for the transparency. Never seen such an accounting of how the filing fees are being spent.
    Indeed!

Mark:

Thank you for clarifying that the individual you were referring to was not Ann Desiderio, but Cindy Maciejewski. My apologies to Ms. Desiderio for my dumb-ass assumption.

That said, Maciejewski did advocate she would not accept Town Clerk stipends had she been elected to that office. She did not win and to my knowledge did not comment on stipends regarding other town positions.

Regardless, we differ on the compensation paid to the Administrative Secretary & Records Management Officer. While appear to consider it a stipend, I am of the opinion it is compensation paid by an entity separate from town municipal government for an appointed position voted on and approved by the LIDA board membership.

It is my understanding that at a recent LIDA Organizational Meeting, Supervisor Ruffino was appointed LIDA Chair, Maciejewski appointed Secretary ($5,000 compensation, less than the $7,500 budgeted in 2020), and Pamela Cuviello, Director of Administration & Finance for the Town of Lancaster has been appointed Chief Financial Officer for the Town of Lancaster Industrial Development Agency.

What is disappointing is that the LIDA website has not been updated to reflect any changes that took place at the Organizational Meeting. Nor that any of this information was published anywhere.

Mark, just to let you know. The only info that I know about the Ruffino administration is what I read in agendas or witness at meetings or what Lee may post from what he hears from his sources.

Georgia L Schlager

Cleaning of soccer field? I thought turf was maintenance free...

$5655 to replace an electrical panel? You've got to be kidding me.

Doesn't sound like any of these projects are really put out to bid.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Well to be fair you should see what was actually repaired for $5655. Maybe an electrical line had to be trenched or multiple light fixtures has to be replaced.

As the soccer field goes I wonder what upkeep would have been if it was just grass.

Mark:

Thank you for clarifying that the individual you were referring to was not Ann Desiderio, but Cindy Maciejewski. My apologies to Ms. Desiderio for my dumb-ass assumption.

That said, Maciejewski did advocate she would not accept Town Clerk stipends had she been elected to that office. She did not win and to my knowledge did not comment on stipends regarding other town positions.

Regardless, we differ on the compensation paid to the Administrative Secretary & Records Management Officer. While appear to consider it a stipend, I am of the opinion it is compensation paid by an entity separate from town municipal government for an appointed position voted on and approved by the LIDA board membership.

It is my understanding that at a recent LIDA Organizational Meeting, Supervisor Ruffino was appointed LIDA Chair, Maciejewski appointed Secretary ($5,000 compensation, less than the $7,500 budgeted in 2020), and Pamela Cuviello, Director of Administration & Finance for the Town of Lancaster has been appointed Chief Financial Officer for the Town of Lancaster Industrial Development Agency.

What is disappointing is that the LIDA website has not been updated to reflect any changes that took place at the Organizational Meeting. Nor that any of this information was published anywhere.
    As always, thank you for your insights Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Mark, just to let you know. The only info that I know about the Ruffino administration is what I read in agendas or witness at meetings or what Lee may post from what he hears from his sources.
    Your insights, if not "inside knowledge," are always of value and interest to me Gorja.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    Cleaning of soccer field? I thought turf was maintenance free...

$5655 to replace an electrical panel? You've got to be kidding me.

Doesn't sound like any of these projects are really put out to bid.
    She had a reason for only one bidder

Park Crew Chief to Town Board –
    Request for resolution to purchase (1) 6P fully wired ECE for pole C2 and (1)4 PX fully wired ECE for pole C2 including freight to Musco Lighting,PO Box 808, 100 1st Avenue West, Oskaloosa, IA to repair the lighting atBrickyard Field.

I think there was a mistake in numbers for the building of the electrical boxes unless there was a change order

WHEREAS, Michelle Barbaro, Park Crew Chief of the Parks Recreation &Forestry has made the Town aware of necessary repairs to the lighting that needs to be done atBrickyard field, located at Westwood Park in the Town of Lancaster, and
    WHEREAS, the Park Crew Chief, submitted Requests for Proposal to one (1)vendor, being the only vendor that can build the electrical boxes needed to repair the light polesthat are damaged, in accordance with the Town of Lancaster’s Procurement Policy, and
    WHEREAS, by letter dated July 23, 2019, Michelle Barbaro, has recommendedthat the Town of Lancaster award the contract to Musco Lighting to perform the needed repairsto the light poles at Brickyard Field, at a cost of $3,525.00, per their quote dated July 3, 2019,and
    WHEREAS, funding for the repairs is available from the Town of Lancaster’s2019 Recreation Filing Fees Fund Budget Line 37-7000-0200.

Georgia L Schlager

I see that written there and i don't believe it for a second. Wiring is wiring. I've been in that panel and it's nothing more than a standard electrical box. The poles are just connected wires.

Quote Originally Posted by yaksplat View Post
    I see that written there and i don't believe it for a second. Wiring is wiring. I've been in that panel and it's nothing more than a standard electrical box. The poles are just connected wires.
    Wow, that is interesting. I don't know much about electric.
    All I can do is change out a switch or an outlet but that's my limit.

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information