Thread: After losing bid for Erie County executive, Dixon joins comptroller's office

Tony Fracasso - Admin

After losing bid for Erie County executive, Dixon joins comptroller's office

Was there really a need to do this?
    After losing bid for Erie County executive, Dixon joins comptroller's office

The speculation ended Thursday about where former Erie County Legislator Lynne Dixon would land after her unsuccessful bid to unseat Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz.
    Dixon began work Thursday as the new secretary for Republican Erie County Comptroller Stefan Mychajliw, earning an annual salary of about $50,000.
    But Mychajliw, in the process of reorganizing the office, said he intends to upgrade Dixon's title to associate deputy comptroller for communications and community relations. In that role, which she may assume in a month or two, she would earn an annual salary of roughly $90,000.
    https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/02/l...y-comptroller/

I have mixed feelings on this. In all fairness, she is a qualified communications person. Her entire resume is based upon communications.

I understand that for her to run for County Executive, she had to surrender her legislative seat. I also understand that Poloncarz was a difficult opponent: he was well-funded and popular. Finding someone to oppose him was not a simple task. I'm sure she insisted on some sort of bargain to cover herself in case she lost.

It's easy for those on this board to play "Monday Morning QB" and insist that a bargain should not have been made. Asking someone to run against a strong opponent, with no "safety net" of sorts, is a losing battle for a party chairman.

This is the cost of doing business in the political environment in which we now reside. You don't like it - run for Republican chair this year. (Or Democratic chair, it happens on both sides.)
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I totally see where Colonel Sun is coming from but isn't this the problem?

I understand that for her to run for County Executive, she had to surrender her legislative seat. I also understand that Poloncarz was a difficult opponent: he was well-funded and popular. Finding someone to oppose him was not a simple task. I'm sure she insisted on some sort of bargain to cover herself in case she lost.

Maybe not in this case because as you said " In all fairness, she is a qualified communications person. Her entire resume is based upon communications. "

Many people have pointed out over the years that the person isn't qualified for the position they are handed or that there are fair more qualified people for positions.

It may have been possible for Stephan to find a better-qualified person for the job. We'll never know.

Here is the focus of my response: Considering how hard it is to run for office these days, should losing candidates "backstop" themselves with a political job? Should party chairs allow this?

I dislike it, but I see the need. If any disagree, I ask now "What do you think should have happened to Lynn?"
    Even as a great rock is not shaken by the wind, the wise man is not shaken by praise or by blame.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I dislike it, but I see the need. If any disagree, I ask now "What do you think should have happened to Lynn?"
    Shouldn't any candidate be treated no different than the majority of tax payers?

Too bad, you lost. Have a nice day.

I don't think the "party" forced Lynn by gun point to run against Mark. Correct?

No different than a local business.

Too bad, taxes are increasing... have a nice day. Or Erie County IDA decides to give a business tax breaks/grants that will directly compete against other businesses. They don't give any consideration to the businesses competing against the one receiving breaks/grants. So why would anyone in the "political class" have a safety net?

Just sayin

I guess the older I become the less I give a crap about people in the "political class" who don't give a **** about people like me. Especially those (not necessarily Lynn), who's agenda is to increase the cost of living for many in our community. Err something like that. I'm swamped today.

I'm playing with live streaming between all the other stuff I'm doing today. I have a screen streaming so I know the feed is working but the main camera is off for now. Picture in picture. I have to pick one more camera to buy tonight. Currently there is a Sony 5100 for the overhead and I'm thinking about a new Canon for camera 2. I'm using a Blackmagicdesign 4 port capture card with a stand alone computer to stream with OBS. I5-9400/16 gigs using a Samsung M.2 PCI drive. Even went and purchased a streamdeck and led lights by Elgato. Lights are over priced but cool.

I want to stream the technical/SEO stuff I do. It's on now just connected to youtube.

https://youtu.be/574cjuEO-lE

I could give all the people I know a platform to voice their opinion. "The Tony Show!"

It's streaming as an unlisted stream. Not public.

Thread Information