Thread: Flooding in Cheektowaga

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Flooding in Cheektowaga

This was posted by Bill Liegl

In the last few days cheektowaga still has the ongoing problem with flooding. Diane Liss Benczkowski needs to continue to have meetings on the areas that need the help. There is nothing worse than a family that has to worry every time there is rain in the forecast . This is a major problem in cheektowaga and must not get pushed under the table.Again this problem is not a 5 year problem its more like a 40 year problem .

I'm wondering why can't this be fixed after all these years?

A comment mentioned that water from Lancaster is flowing our way...

Does he mean the flooding on dale rd ?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I don't know. I'll circle back later. I'm working on a live streaming system.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Bill just told me he believes so.

The article in the news mentions the cemetery, am I missing something ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    The article in the news mentions the cemetery, am I missing something ?
    The cemetery flooding was caused by overlooked maintenance on a storm drain that belongs to the cemetery. This is not the tax payers problem.

Reading town board minutes back to the 40's. flooding has been a recurring problem in various parts of the town.

Some in town think building ice rinks and refurbishing them decades later is more important then a good infrastructure.

If your home is prone to flooding via sewer backup, Take matters into your own hands and have a backflow preventor or similar device installed your sewer lateral.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    What looks pretty and makes for a good campaign mailer? ... hockey rinks.... solar panels...electric cars....play ground equipment...4th of July parades..... and so on.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I was just thinking. Are there rules in Erie County about development and water flow? If Lancaster had a farm that was near the Cheektowaga border and filled in the low spots for development water might flow into town. There could be homes in that area that now have more water flowing towards them that wasn't happening 20 years ago. Is that stuff taken into account when large areas of property are developed?

Lancaster’s turds flow to Cheektowaga, Cheektowaga’s turds flow to Delaware Park, someone’s always paying for some other towns lack of planning. Of course many Buffalo turds commit crime in Cheektowaga so there is some indirect backflow

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Now that funny. Sad but funny.

I'm just wonder what liability does one town have when it effects the property of another town.

Who on the town board over sees poop flow?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I was just thinking. Are there rules in Erie County about development and water flow? If Lancaster had a farm that was near the Cheektowaga border and filled in the low spots for development water might flow into town. There could be homes in that area that now have more water flowing towards them that wasn't happening 20 years ago. Is that stuff taken into account when large areas of property are developed?
    I can tell you CHeektowaga has its own sanitary sewers and part is serviced by Erie County Sewer West Seneca is the same way.
    My cheektowaga home is in the same county sewer district as my West Seneca home was. That is Erie County Sewer District #1

Both WS and Cheektowaga pay Buffalo Sewer Authority a non negotiable fee in the millions of dollars each year to process the sewage. Cheektowaga budgets $4mil/yr. for it.

When it rains and sewers back up it is always because of water intrusion (never a problem when it doesn't rain). So all this extra water in the system causes the back ups and the discharge of raw sewage in the creeks. That is why the DEC consent order is costing both these towns more then $50mil each to fix the water intrusion problem. Once the system is fixed the flip side will be not enough flow to "clean out the pipes" and more labor will be needed to do that periodically.
    Last edited by Electric Eye; January 4th, 2020 at 01:43 AM.

Thread Information