Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution confusion

Resolution confusion

A resolution (#28) is being proposed for the January 21 town board meeting to complete and submit Form PO-17 (New Position Duties Statement) for authorization by the County of Erie Department of Personnel to create two (2) additional positions of Automotive Mechanics in the Highway department.

During the recent election campaign, every candidate stressed the need for transparency and their commitment to provide for it. Yet too often when it comes to town board meetings there is little transparency offered in the language of the resolution. The following is an example of resolution deficient and/or misleading language relavance.

In a correspondence to the town board, the Highway Superintendent writes he intends to promote two (2) Mechanic Assistants to Mechanic positions. There is only one (1) slot open. He is requesting the town apply to the County to add two (2) additional slots. It will not affect the budget as funds are available.

The adopted 2020 budget lists three (3) Automotive Mechanics, zero (0) Automotive Mechanic Helpers in the Highway Department. No assistants listed in the budget, yet two (2) are being promoted. Who is actually being promoted from what position?

If there is one vacancy (slot) open was it because of a retirement? Or, a position never filled?

If there were three Automotive Mechanics and now but two, and two are being added to make four, is there a need for an additional two Automotive Mechanics?

Or, is the creation to fill staffing needs and/or adding staff because the two promotions were positions other than Mechanic Assistants?

Or, will the created positions remain unfilled, or but one filled and in what capacity?

The public has the right to address the board at the opening comment session on the pre-filed resolutions. If the resolution language clearly defined the nature of the resolution, there would be no need for public clarification questions.

It will be interesting to hear whether this resolution brings any discussion at the work session or by the public at the regular meeting. Resolution sponsor, Supervisor Ruffino, has promised fiscal conservatism and will be more than able and willing to explain resolution content.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    During the recent election campaign, every candidate stressed the need for transparency and their commitment to provide for it. Yet too often when it comes to town board meetings there is little transparency offered in the language of the resolution. The following is an example of resolution deficient and/or misleading language relavance...

... Resolution sponsor, Supervisor Ruffino, has promised fiscal conservatism and will be more than able and willing to explain resolution content.
    We may be getting some rather late transparency Lee, because the agendas for the first two sessions of the 2020 Lancaster Town Council suggest to me that the public may be starting to seeing the price of Amatura's rather unusual endorsement of Ruffino for Supervisor, just my opinion.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 19th, 2020 at 03:43 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

A resolution (#28) is being proposed for the January 21 town board meeting to complete and submit Form PO-17 (New Position Duties Statement) for authorization by the County of Erie Department of Personnel to create two (2) additional positions of Automotive Mechanics in the Highway department.

During the recent election campaign, every candidate stressed the need for transparency and their commitment to provide for it. Yet too often when it comes to town board meetings there is little transparency offered in the language of the resolution. The following is an example of resolution deficient and/or misleading language relavance.

In a correspondence to the town board, the Highway Superintendent writes he intends to promote two (2) Mechanic Assistants to Mechanic positions. There is only one (1) slot open. He is requesting the town apply to the County to add two (2) additional slots. It will not affect the budget as funds are available.

The adopted 2020 budget lists three (3) Automotive Mechanics, zero (0) Automotive Mechanic Helpers in the Highway Department. No assistants listed in the budget, yet two (2) are being promoted. Who is actually being promoted from what position?

If there is one vacancy (slot) open was it because of a retirement? Or, a position never filled?

If there were three Automotive Mechanics and now but two, and two are being added to make four, is there a need for an additional two Automotive Mechanics?

Or, is the creation to fill staffing needs and/or adding staff because the two promotions were positions other than Mechanic Assistants?

Or, will the created positions remain unfilled, or but one filled and in what capacity?

The public has the right to address the board at the opening comment session on the pre-filed resolutions. If the resolution language clearly defined the nature of the resolution, there would be no need for public clarification questions.

It will be interesting to hear whether this resolution brings any discussion at the work session or by the public at the regular meeting. Resolution sponsor, Supervisor Ruffino, has promised fiscal conservatism and will be more than able and willing to explain resolution content.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought under the NYS town law,
    the Highway superintendent has the authority to hire and fire highway employees without town board approval,
    as long as it's within the limits of appropriations set by the town board.

Georgia L Schlager

If you look at the 2019 budget, there was
    1 Automotive mechanic
    2 Automotive helper mechanics

and in 2020, it states
    3 Automotive mechanics
    0 Automotive helper mechanics, as you said

Maybe they are eliminating the helper positions, as per the budget

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    If you look at the 2019 budget, there was
    1 Automotive mechanic
    2 Automotive helper mechanics

and in 2020, it states
    3 Automotive mechanics
    0 Automotive helper mechanics, as you said

Maybe they are eliminating the helper positions, as per the budget
    In fact, looking at Supervisor Coleman's 2020 tentative budget, the increase in
    Automotive mechanics and elimination of Automotive mechanic helpers is clearly shown.

Georgia L Schlager

This is simply another example of the absolute waste that is county government. This is wholly and solely a town matter and the county has no role in it....other than to provide jobs for clerks...which is exactly the role of the county department of civil service...to make the world safe for clerks.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    We may be getting some rather late transparency Lee, because the agendas for the first two sessions of the 2020 Lancaster Town Council suggest to me that the public may be starting to seeing the price of Amatura's rather unusual endorsement of Ruffino for Supervisor, just my opinion.
    Mark, in my opinion, I don't see anything non-transparent about it since it was all in the 2020 budget.

Georgia L Schlager

In fact, looking at Supervisor Coleman's 2020 tentative budget, the increase in
    Automotive mechanics and elimination of Automotive mechanic helpers is clearly shown.

I appreciate your research and information. We both acknowledge that the mechanic helpers are being promoted to mechanic positions and that the staffing remains the same in that position. And, we are not talking about a large budget increase.

That does not explain the PO-17 request intent – whether to acknowledge the promotions or to create two new positions as requested - which could be filled or left vacant for future need.

The Highway Superintendent can hire or fire who he wants. The question here is the intent of the request - whether he can promote individuals in his department without consent. He certainly can’t create positions on his own.

And, what does the ‘a slot opened’ refer to?

Just looking for clarification.

I appreciate your research and information. We both acknowledge that the mechanic helpers are being promoted to mechanic positions and that the staffing remains the same in that position. And, we are not talking about a large budget increase.

That does not explain the PO-17 request intent – whether to acknowledge the promotions or to create two new positions as requested - which could be filled or left vacant for future need.

The Highway Superintendent can hire or fire who he wants. The question here is the intent of the request - whether he can promote individuals in his department without consent. He certainly can’t create positions on his own.

And, what does the ‘a slot opened’ refer to?

Just looking for clarification.
    Now, I'm confused. In my thinking, since there was only one Auto mechanic position, he would have to create the 2 positions of Auto mechanic to promote these 2 individuals to that position.

Georgia L Schlager

I'm sure Councilman Leary will interrogate the highway superintendent to help alleviate any confusion.

Georgia L Schlager

I'm sure Councilman Leary will interrogate the highway superintendent to help alleviate any confusion.

Ah Ms. Gorja, you are nothing if not pejoratively descriptive.

Alas valued friend, I am confident that there will be no metaphorical rubber hose and/or hot light present, just the required, proper, and expected exertion of his oversight duties.

In that regard, I am confident that Councilman Leary will fully honor his mandate to represent the needs and concerns of the people of Lancaster.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 19th, 2020 at 08:22 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

I would hope that Councilman Leary does ask resolution questions, in particular for clarification on resolution #26: The following Schedule of Salaries be and is hereby adopted effective January 1, 2020 – Park Crew Chief (Barbaro), $29.73 per hour.

The 2020 adopted budget set Barbaro’s salary at $69,721. Barbaro was also eligible for overtime. If this resolution is adopted her salary (@ 29.73 per hr.) will be $61,838. Why the cut and will she still be eligible for overtime? Any ideas, Gorga?

Supervisor Ruffino, resolution sponsor, made it known at the Organizational Meeting that Barbaro was a crew chief, not a department head, and in addition several assistants were hired in the past few years to help her run the department.

That is an interesting observation, especially when you look at the 2020 adopted budget and find in comparison that the Highway Department working crew chiefs (2) earn $78,072, as does the Deputy Highway Superintendent. In fact, 21 of the 29 Highway Department employees (73%) will earn more than Parks, Recreation, Forestry, and Buildings crew chief Barbaro. The remaining 8 laborers earn about $100 less than Barbaro.

Councilman Leary should be asking questions. Involvement in our municipal government is his job. A serious error in the financial department was only averted in the 11th hour.

Just looking for clarification. No one in government is beyond scrutiny, eh?

I would hope that Councilman Leary does ask resolution questions, in particular for clarification on resolution #26: The following Schedule of Salaries be and is hereby adopted effective January 1, 2020 – Park Crew Chief (Barbaro), $29.73 per hour.

The 2020 adopted budget set Barbaro’s salary at $69,721. Barbaro was also eligible for overtime. If this resolution is adopted her salary (@ 29.73 per hr.) will be $61,838. Why the cut and will she still be eligible for overtime? Any ideas, Gorga?

Supervisor Ruffino, resolution sponsor, made it known at the Organizational Meeting that Barbaro was a crew chief, not a department head, and in addition several assistants were hired in the past few years to help her run the department.

That is an interesting observation, especially when you look at the 2020 adopted budget and find in comparison that the Highway Department working crew chiefs (2) earn $78,072, as does the Deputy Highway Superintendent. In fact, 21 of the 29 Highway Department employees (73%) will earn more than Parks, Recreation, Forestry, and Buildings crew chief Barbaro. The remaining 8 laborers earn about $100 less than Barbaro.

Councilman Leary should be asking questions. Involvement in our municipal government is his job. A serious error in the financial department was only averted in the 11th hour.

Just looking for clarification. No one in government is beyond scrutiny, eh?
    When I first saw the resolution, I did as you did looked at the budget. Then, i went back and read the January 6 resolution -

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the terms of this resolution shall supersede therelevant terms of any previously adopted resolution, policies, or practices to the contrary;

Then I thought well maybe since the resolution wasn't approved that her salary reverted to what it was.
    Then. I looked at Coleman's tentative budget and saw that her salary for 2019 was $60,923.
    So my thoughts are that the resolution is to give the crew chief a 1.5% salary increase like everyone else.
    That's just my thoughts.

As you wish, I'm sure Mr Leary will ask for clarification. Asking the questions is being a responsible councilman.
    But at the last meeting, he came at the highway superintendent like an enraged pit bull which wasn't necessary.
    Ask a question in a respectful way is more becoming of a newly elected official. IMHO

Georgia L Schlager

But at the last meeting, he came at the highway superintendent like an enraged pit bull which wasn't necessary.
    Ask a question in a respectful way is more becoming of a newly elected official. IMHO
    Ah, so the phony, contrived narrative begins: "The Dinoization" of Bob Leary.

Good luck with that one.

I know he is new, so perhaps he should remain silent and suppliant, and wait-out 18 years on the Council, and only then act like the inappropriate showman Ruffino, and speak as an unelected taxpayer from the prestige of his Council seat, and not from the proper forum of the gallery?

Would that make you feel better?

Hey, I bet he could be cast for the role of the fictional character in Supervisor In Hades, Icyeer Bullcrapio- The Reform Councilman.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 20th, 2020 at 06:41 AM.

Originally posted by mark blazejewski:
    I know he is new, so perhaps he should remain silent and suppliant
    That's your opinion. As I posted,
    Asking the questions is being a responsible councilman

Georgia L Schlager

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information