Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Town of Lancaster Organizational Meeting

After listening to the recording of the work session and regular town board meeting, it should be noted:

Supervisor Ruffino gave as his answer for the ‘no’ vote on approving Schedule of Salary resolution # 4 for PARKS, RECREATION, FORESTRY, AND BUILDINGS Park Crew Chief (Barbaro - $33.52 per hour) was that since her hiring multiple layers of supervisor have been put in place in her department and that Barbaro is a crew chief, not a department head. Mazur voted ‘no’ as well and the resolution died.

Ruffino was the only board member to vote ‘no’ on the Schedule of Salary resolution to pay Payroll Supervisor P.T. (Fay) $31.21 per hour. No reason given.

Regular meeting

Resolution #6

Ruffino stated that a new grant writer has been contracted by the town - Rotella Grant Management Company. Whereas the town was paying $35,000 for an individual grant writer, the town will be working with a management company that has a four-members staff and at only $21,600. Although the official start date is Thursday, the company has already been working on a town grant.

Resolution #10

Approve Agreement with Cynthia Maciejewski for 4-year leave of absence. Concerns were raised about the length of term. Supervisor Ruffino claimed the agreement has to go to the County every year for their approval. The agreement is between the town, the White-Collar unit and Maciejewski.

Councilman Leary asked whether that implied that the town board also has the ability to review the agreement every year and make a determination. Ruffino answered ‘no’, that the approval decision comes from the county. Leary then asked whether the town could vote on this every year. Ruffino responded that the board could. ?????

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Just to point out in case some people don't understand how this works...

It was explained to me that if someone starts to collect their retirement and then continues working, the town no longer pays into their retirement.

In the case of the previous Supervisor, she would have cost the taxpayers more money by not retiring as town clerk as the town would have had to continue the retirement contribution for four additional years.

In this particular case of the current Supervisor, I'm not sure how it would work. If he "retired" premature to his term ending, I would assume that the board could vote on a replacement since he is not moving into a new position and retirement would align with resigning. Had he retired as councilman at the end of 2019, he might have been able to pull this off.

Matt
    So true. It's all verifiable on seethroughny.net. Johanna Coleman's last payroll record is from the year 2015
    which was the last year that there was contributions to her pension.

Likewise with Mark Lubera and Louis Cacciotti

Georgia L Schlager

New Lancaster supervisor miffed at $71,098 salary; denied $5,000 stipend
    By Jane Kwiatkowski
    Published 4:30 p.m. January 8, 2020|Updated 1 hour ago

New Lancaster Supervisor Ronald Ruffino is not happy with his salary.

He had no problems saying so in public this week.

During his first Town Board meeting in the elected office, Ruffino noted that his $71,098 salary is almost $18,000 less than the town clerk draws after his bid for a $5,000 stipend was denied for 2020. He also said his pay pales in comparison to the $85,121 paid to the highway superintendent.

“The supervisor's salary for 2019 was $76,098 and was scheduled to be $77,520,” said Ruffino, a Democrat. “The outgoing board victimized the supervisor's salary out of spite and reduced it to $71,098.”

At issue was the $5,000 stipend former Supervisor Johanna Coleman was paid in 2019 in compensation for her duties as budget officer. The stipend, which must be approved by resolution each year, was not introduced by Coleman in 2016, 2017 and 2018, nor did former Supervisor Dino Fudoli seek the compensation during his term from 2012 to 2015.

“If you want to look at the clerk who makes $18,000 more than I do as the CEO, you don’t see that in any other town,” said Ruffino, who also pointed to the highway superintendent’s salary of $85,121.

“It’s been zero for seven years,” Robert E. Leary, a newly elected Republican, said of the $5,000 budget bonus. “I didn’t say it can’t be revisited in the future, but I think at this point and time, it’s appropriate to take it out.”

Leary was backed by fellow Republican Adam L. Dickman, who is starting his third year on the board. With only one other member – newly elected Democrat David Mazur, in attendance – the resolution died before reaching a board vote.

Ruffino’s annual salary is less what supervisors earn in Cheektowaga, where Diane Benczkowski is paid $79,140; Hamburg, where James M. Shaw gets $89,623; and Orchard Park, where Patrick J. Keem earns $87,450.

“You cannot amend my salary,” Ruffino concluded. “That has to go to public referendum.”

Leary then tackled the $5,200 stipend paid to Highway Superintendent Daniel J. Amatura for overseeing Parks, Recreation and Forestry crew chief Michelle Barbaro.

“We need more information here as to what the exact duties are,” Leary told Amatura. “I want to make sure it’s done properly, and that oversight is provided by your department.”

"We help the parks department. We help the forestry department. I started maintaining all her vehicles instead of outsourcing. When she’s on vacation I take care of things. If you don’t want me to do that, I’d be happy not to do that. You came out to my department, I showed you what I do; now what’s your question?” Amatura shot back.

Board trustees approved Amatura's stipend.

Yepper...

Maybe he should get a part time gig to supplement his income?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4xlvKnRurGY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 8th, 2020 at 08:09 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post

New Lancaster Supervisor Ronald Ruffino is not happy with his salary...

He had no problems saying so in public this week...

“The outgoing board victimized the supervisor's salary out of spite and reduced it to $71,098.”

“You cannot amend my salary,” Ruffino concluded. “That has to go to public referendum.”

Hmm, doesn't sound "experienced" or "fiscally conservative" to me. Actually, kinda sounds like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-e...PkkoIcwjh8NmEA

...which kinda compliments this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE3OBiFflHI
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 8th, 2020 at 09:09 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

there's a little Stugotz in ALL of us

the stugotz is strong in him

Quote Originally Posted by neubs24 View Post
    new lancaster supervisor miffed at $71,098 salary; denied $5,000 stipend
    by jane kwiatkowski
    published 4:30 p.m. January 8, 2020|updated 1 hour ago

new lancaster supervisor ronald ruffino is not happy with his salary.

During his first town board meeting in the elected office, ruffino noted that his $71,098 salary is almost $18,000 less than the town clerk draws after his bid for a $5,000 stipend was denied for 2020. He also said his pay pales in comparison to the $85,121 paid to the highway superintendent.

“the supervisor's salary for 2019 was $76,098 and was scheduled to be $77,520,” said ruffino, a democrat. “the outgoing board victimized the supervisor's salary out of spite and reduced it to $71,098.”

at issue was the $5,000 stipend former supervisor johanna coleman was paid in 2019 in compensation for her duties as budget officer. The stipend, which must be approved by resolution each year, was not introduced by coleman in 2016, 2017 and 2018, nor did former supervisor dino fudoli seek the compensation during his term from 2012 to 2015.

“if you want to look at the clerk who makes $18,000 more than i do as the ceo, you don’t see that in any other town,” said ruffino, who also pointed to the highway superintendent’s salary of $85,121.

“it’s been zero for seven years,” robert e. Leary, a newly elected republican, said of the $5,000 budget bonus. “i didn’t say it can’t be revisited in the future, but i think at this point and time, it’s appropriate to take it out.”

leary was backed by fellow republican adam l. Dickman, who is starting his third year on the board. With only one other member – newly elected democrat david mazur, in attendance – the resolution died before reaching a board vote.

Ruffino’s annual salary is less what supervisors earn in cheektowaga, where diane benczkowski is paid $79,140; hamburg, where james m. Shaw gets $89,623; and orchard park, where patrick j. Keem earns $87,450.

“you cannot amend my salary,” ruffino concluded. “that has to go to public referendum.”

leary then tackled the $5,200 stipend paid to highway superintendent daniel j. Amatura for overseeing parks, recreation and forestry crew chief michelle barbaro.

“we need more information here as to what the exact duties are,” leary told amatura. “i want to make sure it’s done properly, and that oversight is provided by your department.”

"we help the parks department. We help the forestry department. I started maintaining all her vehicles instead of outsourcing. When she’s on vacation i take care of things. If you don’t want me to do that, i’d be happy not to do that. You came out to my department, i showed you what i do; now what’s your question?” amatura shot back.

Board trustees approved amatura's stipend.

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    New Lancaster supervisor miffed at $71,098 salary; denied $5,000 stipend
    By Jane Kwiatkowski
    Published 4:30 p.m. January 8, 2020|Updated 1 hour ago

New Lancaster Supervisor Ronald Ruffino is not happy with his salary.

During his first Town Board meeting in the elected office, Ruffino noted that his $71,098 salary is almost $18,000 less than the town clerk draws after his bid for a $5,000 stipend was denied for 2020. He also said his pay pales in comparison to the $85,121 paid to the highway superintendent.

“The supervisor's salary for 2019 was $76,098 and was scheduled to be $77,520,” said Ruffino, a Democrat. “The outgoing board victimized the supervisor's salary out of spite and reduced it to $71,098.”

At issue was the $5,000 stipend former Supervisor Johanna Coleman was paid in 2019 in compensation for her duties as budget officer. The stipend, which must be approved by resolution each year, was not introduced by Coleman in 2016, 2017 and 2018, nor did former Supervisor Dino Fudoli seek the compensation during his term from 2012 to 2015.

“If you want to look at the clerk who makes $18,000 more than I do as the CEO, you don’t see that in any other town,” said Ruffino, who also pointed to the highway superintendent’s salary of $85,121.

“It’s been zero for seven years,” Robert E. Leary, a newly elected Republican, said of the $5,000 budget bonus. “I didn’t say it can’t be revisited in the future, but I think at this point and time, it’s appropriate to take it out.”

Leary was backed by fellow Republican Adam L. Dickman, who is starting his third year on the board. With only one other member – newly elected Democrat David Mazur, in attendance – the resolution died before reaching a board vote.

Ruffino’s annual salary is less what supervisors earn in Cheektowaga, where Diane Benczkowski is paid $79,140; Hamburg, where James M. Shaw gets $89,623; and Orchard Park, where Patrick J. Keem earns $87,450.

Leary then tackled the $5,200 stipend paid to Highway Superintendent Daniel J. Amatura for overseeing Parks, Recreation and Forestry crew chief Michelle Barbaro.

“We need more information here as to what the exact duties are,” Leary told Amatura. “I want to make sure it’s done properly, and that oversight is provided by your department.”

"We help the parks department. We help the forestry department. I started maintaining all her vehicles instead of outsourcing. When she’s on vacation I take care of things. If you don’t want me to do that, I’d be happy not to do that. You came out to my department, I showed you what I do; now what’s your question?” Amatura shot back.

Board trustees approved Amatura's stipend.
    Isn't that nice to know who you can trust. A board member tells you he supports a resolution. Then, after being told by his puppet master that he can't support it, he changes his tune at the last moment. Then his puppet master who does not want Mr Amatura to oversight the parks department tells her marionette he needs to pressure Mr Amatura.

Purely political which is fine. At least, we all know now how their votes will be cast according to the wishes of their puppet master.

The article does not mention the money saved by utilizing a different grant writer or money saved in appointing a different finance director.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

The article does not mention the money saved by utilizing a different grant writer or money saved in appointing a different finance director.[/FONT][/SIZE]
    More Ruffino contorted, slight of hands, showboat caca?

Just like casting a showboat "NO" vote on emergency contingency authority to raise the tax cap?

I think I finally get Ruffino's "fiscally conservative" policies: He only votes "Yes" to actually spending REAL money; "No" to unlikely spending involving HYPOTHETICAL money, IMHO.

Congrats Ron, ya fooled 'em again!

Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 8th, 2020 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=verdana]Isn't that nice to know who you can trust. A board member tells you he supports a resolution. Then, after being told by his puppet master that he can't support it, he changes his tune at the last moment. Then his puppet master who does not want Mr Amatura to oversight the parks department tells her marionette he needs to pressure Mr Amatura.

Purely political which is fine. At least, we all know now how their votes will be cast according to the wishes of their puppet master.

Exactly who did Clarabell The Clown allegedly talk to, Buffalo Bob or Howdy? And who in Hell is the "her," Princess Summerfall or Peppi Mint?

Sarcasm aside, I assume your comment concerns the Town Council, and not a puppet show, so can you lend meaningful clarity to your comment ma'am?

First - "Then if he's re-elected" - I should have made it clearer - I meant if re-elected after he makes 4 years !

As far as "saving tax money" - his retirement will be based on his highest paid 3 years of service. So his retirement as a Supervisor would be more than 3 time what a council member would get.

Personalty I dont see why local elected officials putting in low hours getting a tax funded pension. Is he or has he committed to leaving the bank ? Will he be in his Town office / Town Hall 8 hours a day - 5 days a week ?

The rest is word games - so I.m done.

Thanks
    #Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

Comments after reading the Lancaster Bee and Buffalo News reports on this past weeks Town of Lancaster Organizational Meeting ‘Schedule of Salaries’ resolution on Supervisor salary. Report language in Italics / Bold.

New Lancaster Supervisor Ronald Ruffino is not happy with his salary. He had no problems saying so in public this week.

I can’t say that I blame him for being dissatisfied. There over 30 positions in Lancaster that commend wages over that of the CEO of the town – with and without overtime. Salaried positions that exceed that of Supervisor by $50,000.

Last year, $76,098 was the allotted salary for town supervisor, which included a $5,000 budget officer stipend. The stipend and a roughly 2% raise were not approved in the 2020 budget, resulting in a $71,098 salary.

(Former Supervisor) Coleman added that a stipend for budget officer had not been in the supervisor’s salary for seven years prior to last year and Coleman’s term
    ]

The supervisor’s salary history while keeping in mind that since 2012 the town board was under Democratic Party control and that Supervisor Ruffino had a vote in each budget year:

2020 - $71,098; $0 as Budget Officer; Ruffino Supervisor
    2019 - $71,098; $5,000 as Budget Officer; Coleman Supervisor
    2018 - $69704 - $0 as Budget Officer; Coleman Supervisor
    2017 - $68,337; $0 as Budget Officer; Coleman Supervisor
    2016 - $66,997; $0 as Budget Officer; Fudoli Supervisor
    2015 - $66,997; $0 as Budget Officer; Fudoli Supervisor
    2014 - $66,997; $0 as Budget Officer; Fudoli Supervisor
    2013 - $66,997; $0 as Budget Officer; Fudoli Supervisor
    2012 - $74,441; $8,122 as Budget Officer; Giza Supervisor

When running for Supervisor, both Ruffino and Gaczewski knew what the final budget looked like. If Gaczewski would have won (lost by only 123 votes) Ruffino would still occupy a council seat for another two years. Would he have supported amending the budget to get Gaczewski the $5,000 stipend?

Spite? That was in the tentative budget and final budget Ruffino voted ‘no’ to on the resolution to adopt the 2020 budget – the only ‘no’ vote. He never said a word about the Supervisor salary in his opposition to the budget proposal.

I wouldn’t consider that spiteful, rather an illogical, sour grapes ’throw them under the bus’ harangue against town employees and other municipal governments from the individual who has labeled himself as ‘fiscally responsible. And the report fails to mention there are town supervisors who earn less – West Seneca with a population similar to Lancastser.

Maybe, just maybe Mr. Ruffino, you can make supervisor salary structure changes with your 2021 budget; a budget that will have to be approved by the current board makeup. Rather slim chance, IMHO.

But if your party fills that vacant council seat with a Democrat, your chances improve significantly. If filled by a Republican, not so much. It should be a very interesting campaign to fill that seat. Expect it to be as unsavory and deceitful as this past years primary and election.
    Last edited by Lee Chowaniec; January 9th, 2020 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    It should be a very interesting campaign to fill that seat. Expect it to be as unsavory and deceitful as this past years primary and election.
    Last year, the voters apparently opted for stalemate and time to assess which party would best honor conservative "fiscal responsibility" before awarding a decisive Town Council majority.

In regards to that majority, the 2020 race for Town Council member will be the determinant, and will be every bit as important as the 2019 race.

With the preceding in mind, with comments like this...

“The outgoing board victimized the supervisor's salary out of spite and reduced it to $71,098...”
    ...and...

“If you want to look at the clerk who makes $18,000 more than I do as the CEO, you don’t see that in any other town,”
    ...it will be interesting to see if Ruffino's endorsed candidate will have the gall to write a 2020 letter to Conservative Primary voters, containing BULLSHIoT kindred to Ruffino's 2019 line of crap which read...

Speaking for myself, I have been the most fiscally conservative, experienced and qualified Town of Lancaster Supervisor candidate and have shown that every day since being elected to the Town Council."
    BTW, I would not expect any complimentary Friday fish fry dinners this lent Ron, because this comment is a Hell of a way to say "Thank You..."

...Ruffino...also pointed to the highway superintendent’s salary of $85,121.
    How's the weather down there under the bus Mr. Dan?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; January 9th, 2020 at 04:05 AM.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    And the report fails to mention there are town supervisors who earn less – West Seneca with a population similar to Lancastser.
    ANother instance where the supervisor wasn't running for re-election and she cut the salary by 10% for the 2020 budget.
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/04/w...her-successor/

Georgia L Schlager

The budget was approved before the election was it not?

So to say it was out of spite would mean that the board (including the two candidates) passed the budget without the stipend to spite whomever the winner would be?

I can't speak for the rest of the board but I cast my vote knowing full well that the stipend was removed and the 2% raise was removed. How did I know this? Well I read the budget which quite clearly shows the proposed 2020 lines compared to the 2019 lines. Additionally, I met with Supervisor Coleman to discuss issues I had as well as other council members regarding their concerns. Those conversations resulted in changes being made in some cases and compromises on others.

This is the same process that Ron was involved in the first 2 years of my service. We discussed issues with the budget to see if we were of like minds on changes and whether we had the support of other board members to approve those changes. I did not have those discussions with Ron the second half of my term.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post

So to say it was out of spite would mean that the board (including the two candidates) passed the budget without the stipend to spite whomever the winner would be?

I can't speak for the rest of the board but I cast my vote knowing full well that the stipend was removed and the 2% raise was removed. How did I know this? Well I read the budget which quite clearly shows the proposed 2020 lines compared to the 2019 lines. Additionally, I met with Supervisor Coleman to discuss issues I had as well as other council members regarding their concerns. Those conversations resulted in changes being made in some cases and compromises on others.

This is the same process that Ron was involved in the first 2 years of my service. We discussed issues with the budget to see if we were of like minds on changes and whether we had the support of other board members to approve those changes. I did not have those discussions with Ron the second half of my term.

Matt
    Your post is spot on; especially:

All the rest is political, whiny claptrap.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information