Thread: Depew begins replacing streetlights with LEDs

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Depew begins replacing streetlights with LEDs

well this is cool.
    Depew begins replacing streetlights with LEDs

Crews began installing high efficiency LED streetlights in the Village of Depew this week.In May, the village entered a contract with New York State Electric and Gas, Depew’s electric company, which agreed to convert 1,298 of the village’s 1,367 lights to LEDs.

Depew leaders pushed for the upgrades to save money and make the village more environmentally friendly. This year, the village will save $30,000, and going forward, it will save $84,000 annually.

So far, lights have been installed on Olanta, Terrell, Ellington and Canton streets as well as George Urban Boulevard, Falcon Drive and the north sides of Houston Street and Bellevue Avenue.

The illumination levels and wattage value of each streetlight will remain the same, but the color temperature will change. The new streetlights will have a color temperature of 4,000 Kelvin, which will emit a more aesthetically pleasing color temperature.

https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...hts-with-leds/

I would do this long before installing solar panels on town owned buildings.... grants or not.

Ok great, how much does this cost ?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Ok great, how much does this cost ?

Well

In May, the village entered a contract with New York State Electric and Gas, Depew’s electric company, which agreed to convert 1,298 of the village’s 1,367 lights to LEDs.
    We would have to know how much each retro fit cost plus the time it takes for the install to calculate labor cost.

We also have to figure in the cost of disposal of the old lighting hardware.

Then we have to calculate the over all savings on longevity because LED's are supposed to last longer requiring less man hours over a period of time. I'm sure they calculate all of this before spending the money.

Otherwise they couldn't have come up with this figure below.

Depew leaders pushed for the upgrades to save money and make the village more environmentally friendly. This year, the village will save $30,000, and going forward, it will save $84,000 annually.
    SO anyone at all know what the cost of the hardware is along with labor to install? I wonder how long payback is out of the possible $84k saved per year.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Well

We would have to know how much each retro fit cost plus the time it takes for the install to calculate labor cost.

We also have to figure in the cost of disposal of the old lighting hardware.

Then we have to calculate the over all savings on longevity because LED's are supposed to last longer requiring less man hours over a period of time. I'm sure they calculate all of this before spending the money.

Otherwise they couldn't have come up with this figure below.

SO anyone at all know what the cost of the hardware is along with labor to install? I wonder how long payback is out of the possible $84k saved per year.
    West Seneca did this several years ago EXCEPT they own the lights and must maintain them, the electric company no longer owns or maintains them and yes I have seen some that are no longer working that if I had to guess, I would say they did not last as long as they were supposed to.

If you remember, I brought this up once before for Cheektowaga to look into it. Search LED here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/786798011516293/

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    150W LED STREET LIGHT AC120-277V

https://1000led.com/product/176/150w...yABEgKq__D_BwE

Those are like $199 a unit. No idea what depew is using though.

But if 1,298 were purchased at that price that means.... 1,298 X $199 = $258,302 could be an estimate for hardware.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We can assume the procedure is about the same to replace the lights. Wow I'd like to get the contract swapping these out.

See how to install Cree's XSP Series LED Street Light

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Detroit suing after LED streetlights with 10-year warranty begin burning out in 3 years

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    The LED's Challenge to High Pressure Sodium

Thread Information