Thread: Clarence must reexamine zoning and building codes

Clarence must reexamine zoning and building codes

From Everybody's Column -

Letter: Clarence must reexamine zoning and building codes

When a business borders residential property usually an agreement takes place that benefits both parties and both can remain living life happily. The town of Clarence used to abide by zoning/building codes in the past. Sufficient buffers, zoning laws were upheld, and residential homeowners had security and peace of mind.

However, greed and selfishness has taken over commonsense as far as invasion of residential property in Clarence. I’ve invited prospective buyers of homes in Clarence to visit what was once a private residence, our home that has been reduced to a property in the way of progress.

Our Clarence home is modest, with a back yard and permanent swimming pool that was installed in 1990.
    We had four years out of 23 years of a normal lifestyle. And I’ve been trying to regain my home since a business was constructed in 2002. We lost half of the value of the property, invested in blackout window treatments for all three bedrooms and family room at the advice of a Town Board member when we reminded them that decorative lights are supposed to be off. Our pool is sadly not in use as it’s more public than private.

Our views out the windows is a double-office complex. I have original notes and agreements that were stated so it could be built. However, the Town Board refuses to abide by their own rules hoping that we will file a lawsuit like everyone else living in Clarence has to do.

Seriously, living here is not healthy or safe and way too much money for the average family. No one will buy our home as we hear this … why would you buy a house in front of an office?

So be careful when enticed to buying into a Clarence lifestyle as it may not turn out like you would hope.
    Debbie Popp

Clarence
    If you look, the rear of the lady's property at 4440 Barton Rd abuts a Main St property. Wouldn't one assume the Main St property at some point would be zoned commercial? Her property isn't out in the country.

Georgia L Schlager

I wouldn't want that behind my house either
    that said, the zillow estimate (I know zillow isn't always that great of a resource) has it at double what they paid for it and IMO is a reasonable price for the sq footage
    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...30311813_zpid/
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    From Everybody's Column -

If you look, the rear of the lady's property at 4440 Barton Rd abuts a Main St property. Wouldn't one assume the Main St property at some point would be zoned commercial? Her property isn't out in the country.
    Yes and no.

Clarence was the country at one time as was like Cheektowaga relative to the City of Buffalo.

From what I have seen why even bother having zoning anymore. In the end who ever is on a town board allows building anyways. "Our hands are tied. We will be sued"

I think if zoning was more permanent the quality of life for many home owners would be nicer for home owners. Including realistic buffer zones so you don't end up with a 24/7 walmart literally behind your home. Remember everyone has property rights but I don't know if "quality of life" falls into that category. Remember developers don't give a ****. They want to make profit.

When you’re buying residential property you can be sure fairly certain it’s zoned residential. But your zoning doesn’t control the zoning, and therefore the uses, of neighboring properties. If there is any question check it out before buying. And you have no right to rely on the word of town officials who tell you not to worry, that a particular parcel will never be developed in a certain way. They don’t own it so their opinion in this regard is no better that anyone’s.

Thread Information