Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will be the new Director of Administration & Finance?

Who will be the new Director of Administration & Finance?

After months of speculation and rumors that current Director of Administration & Finance may not be reappointed should Ron Ruffino be elected Town Supervisor, Dave Brown has decided to retire and has already initiated the process.

At age 59 and after serving the town with integrity and credibility for over 35 years, it appears Brown will be leaving in his best interest. He will be missed by anyone appreciating the service he provided every administration and in serving the community as well. He is well respected by his peers.

More importantly, with Brown’s departure before the end of the month, who Supervisor Ruffino decides to appoint in that position should be equally knowledgeable, a man with integrity and credibility.

And, transparent. From the first time I appeared in his office (near 20 years ago) to get budget information, I was impressed by his openness and honesty. When I remarked on those traits in later office visits, he replied that he worked for the taxpayer and it was his job to provide information to questions asked by the public.

I will truly miss Dave Brown.

Other

Speaking of replacements, there will be a lot of intrigue filling Councilman Ruffino’s vacated seat. The 2020 town board will be made up of 2 Democrats and two Republicans (in my mind a Republican and a RINO).

There is an obvious frontrunner, but patronage and deal-making plays a big role in the political decision process

That's too bad. He was a non-political guy who worked with whomever the supervisor was.
    Those are some big shoes to fill. As Supervisor Coleman would say, he has 35 years of 'institutional knowledge'

Georgia L Schlager

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Speaking of replacements, there will be a lot of intrigue filling Councilman Ruffino’s vacated seat. The 2020 town board will be made up of 2 Democrats and two Republicans (in my mind a Republican and a RINO).
    I thought it would be 1 Democrat and 3 Republicans

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I thought it would be 1 Democrat and 3 Republicans
    Can’t say that I don’t agree with that logic considering I thought the same thing 4 years ago when a conservative and a ‘blank’ were endorsed by the Democratic Party. I then learned that Gaczewski and Walters were late in petitioning the Republican Party for an interview and possible endorsement and accepted the Democratic Party endorsement offer as they wanted to serve the town and at the time the Democratic party was hurting for candidates.

Are you telling me that Mazur petitioned the Republicans for an interview and possible endorsement? Or, did the Democrats seek him out and I would then have to question his loyalty? In the last two years, I have had reason to question the Republican then elected on some of his decisions and whether he is not a RINO.

I see it as a ‘weak’ two against two matchup and where the council seat may stay open until next year’s election. The Lancaster Democratic Party is not in a strong position now – it’s endorsed candidate lost the Town Clerk’s race, the one endorsed council member candidate was low vote gatherer, and the highly regarded Erie County Legislator Jon Bruso lost his bid for re-election.

On the Republican side, the flak that ensued from the committee cross endorsing Democrat Terranova for Town Clerk was reprehensible. She deserved being endorsed by all political parties and was, For the Republican BOE Commissioner to mentor and become the campaign manger for a primary challenger under the guise that his candidate was the only true Republican running for the position was ludicrous and vindictive.

This was a suck year considering the machinations that took place in both the primary and election. Now all but the Conservative Party will be cut out of the fusion voting process. They will be the next target. That would be very disturbing to me as I abhor voting on ether the Democratic or Republican line in today’s political climate.

Then again, I can say these things because I am a ‘blank’ and always have been and am no longer surprised by any outcome.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Are you telling me that Mazur petitioned the Republicans for an interview and possible endorsement?
    No, I'm stating their party affiliation

Georgia L Schlager

Rumors are circulating again, Gorga.

The rumor that Mark Aquino was going to replace Brown looked solid. It appears Aquino has withdrawn his name from consideration. It is now rumored that former Erie County Real Property Tax Department Manager is being considered for the position. Heard anything?

It is unfortunate that December 13th is Brown’s last official service day before he is officially retired. Why the town doesn’t act to rehire him is perplexing / disturbing. He has served the town well over 35 years and all he needs is a commitment that he will be reappointed to his position.

Patronage vs. expertise? Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Rumors are circulating again, Gorga.

The rumor that Mark Aquino was going to replace Brown looked solid. It appears Aquino has withdrawn his name from consideration. It is now rumored that former Erie County Real Property Tax Department Manager is being considered for the position. Heard anything?

It is unfortunate that December 13th is Brown’s last official service day before he is officially retired. Why the town doesn’t act to rehire him is perplexing / disturbing. He has served the town well over 35 years and all he needs is a commitment that he will be reappointed to his position.

Patronage vs. expertise? Ugh!
    I have heard nothing
    I thought Brown's resignation was a done deal.
    I do hope they do rehire him

Georgia L Schlager

Did Dave Brown indicate his desire to be rehired?
    As in your first post Lee, it appeared that his desire was to resign and retire.

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=gorja;1904814]

Did Dave Brown indicate his desire to be rehired?
    Dave Brown never gave any indication that he did not want to be reappointed.

As in your first post Lee, it appeared that his desire was to resign and retire.
    To my knowledge, his desire was to continue serving the town as Director of Administration & Finance. His resignation and retirement was unexpected.

Then again, there had been numerous rumors early on that several department changes would be made should Ruffino be elected Supervisor. If this was one of the changes planed, it is an unfortunate one. Serious thought should be given to reinstate Mr. Brown in the best interests of the community.

Something changed to precipitate Mr. Brown’s decision to seek retirement.

[QUOTE=Lee Chowaniec;1904872]
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post

Dave Brown never gave any indication that he did not want to be reappointed.

To my knowledge, his desire was to continue serving the town as Director of Administration & Finance. His resignation and retirement was unexpected.

Then again, there had been numerous rumors early on that several department changes would be made should Ruffino be elected Supervisor. If this was one of the changes planed, it is an unfortunate one. Serious thought should be given to reinstate Mr. Brown in the best interests of the community.

Something changed to precipitate Mr. Brown’s decision to seek retirement.
    They do have the job posting on the website

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=gorja;1905074]
    They do have the job posting on the website
    Yes, the job is posted on the town website and I find that not only perplexing but also indicative that Brown was not being considered for reappointment.

Before resigning / retiring, Dave reached out to the supervisor-elect via phone, email and text requesting a meeting to discuss his plans for the position. After waiting a week and receiving no response, he decided the lack of response was the answer itself and put in his resignation and retirement papers – December 13th his last official day in office.

Applications for starting date are 1/1/2020. Do you seriously believe that Ruffino had nobody in mind for this position before Brown’s resignation? That Brown was going to be reappointed?

The appointment is the Supervisor’s to make. To dispel any ‘rumor’ that Brown was out the door, wouldn’t it be interesting if Brown was rehired by Supervisor Coleman at the next town board meeting (December 16th) - put the onus on Ruffino to make a change on 1/1/2020 and reason why. Who could be more qualified than the man currently holding that position?

As taxpayers (town stakeholders) we deserve the truth.

I think it's GREAT that Ruffino is doing what he had always asked for when he was a councilman.
    Here you have a person who retired and resigned and the position is posted.
    How many times did Ruffino ask why wasn't the position posted?

Since I don't know anything, I really can't comment praise or blame on an unknown selection for the position

Believe me, if Aquino would have been selected, you would have heard me.
    As far as, Ruffino giving reasons for not hiring someone, it may be that he fundamentally disagrees on how Mr Brown handles the budget.

Or since there was a resignation, he could be giving anyone the opportunity to interview for the position
    Again, I don't get inside information as you do, I'm just going to anxiously await the January 6 meeting

Georgia L Schlager

[QUOTE=gorja;1905141]

I think it's GREAT that Ruffino is doing what he had always asked for when he was a councilman.
    Here you have a person who retired and resigned and the position is posted.
    How many times did Ruffino ask why wasn't the position posted?
    The one has nothing to do with the other. Ruffino’s quest was to have competitive civil service positions transparently posted by the town to inform the public of the position opening – combating favoritism / patronage. A good thing! Here the position filling is Ruffino’s alone to make.

Your perception is that Brown’s resignation / precipitated Ruffino’s posting the open position. You were made aware early on that if Ruffino won the election there was speculation that Brown would not be reappointed – one of many ‘rumors’ which you labeled lies.

Other perceptions hold Ruffino’s posting as disingenuous considering he had an individual in mind to fill the position and since that individual’s withdrawal from consideration, another has been slotted for the position – more qualified, but no Dave Brown.

Since I don't know anything, I really can't comment praise or blame on an unknown selection for the position.
    Really? Hmmm…

Believe me, if Aquino would have been selected, you would have heard me.
    From many others as well as he is not qualified for the position. It would have been an obvious patronage / friends of family move.

As far as, Ruffino giving reasons for not hiring someone, it may be that he fundamentally disagrees on how Mr. Brown handles the budget.
    Handles the budget? What does that even imply since Brown does not create the budget or dictate how or where the funds are to be allocated. It is the Supervisor’s budget and the responsibility of the council members to make adjustments to the budget. Ruffino’s recent 11th hour grandstanding resulted in failed spending cuts that I agreed with.

Or since there was a resignation, he could be giving anyone the opportunity to interview for the position.
    Now that’s funny!

Again, Brown’s resignation / retirement did not precipitate an opening in the Director of Administration & Finance Department. The failure by Ruffino to commit to reappointment precipitated Brown’s resignation / retirement. Brown’s resignation is an easy out for Ruffino to declare ‘Hey, I didn’t force him out, he left the job on his own’.

That is why I would hope that Supervisor Coleman would rehire Brown and throw his 2020 reappointment fate into Ruffino’s lap. It would be a travesty if Brown were not reappointed. You will not find anyone as qualified for the position – and with impeccable integrity, credibility and transparency values as well.

Again, I don't get inside information as you do, I'm just going to anxiously await the January 6 meeting
    The insiders you refer to come from all walks of life and who are totally pissed that this vacancy occurred – and especially considering it was rumored for months. And it is not only this office where change is expected to come. ‘To the victor belongs the spoils’; ‘you get and deserve the government you voted for’ and all that other BS!

Just rumors and lies, eh Gorga? We shall see. Others in town appointed positions have reason to worry.

Ruffino’s quest was to have competitive civil service positions transparently posted by the town to inform the public of the position opening – combating favoritism / patronage. A good thing! Here the position filling is Ruffino’s alone to make.
    Lee:

Just one small but potentially important point of clarification....

While the Supervisor alone does have the ability to appoint a budget director, it is my understanding that it is up to the board to approve the salary. If the appointment does not meet the approval of the board, they could in theory pass a salary so low that the appointee would not accept. Mr Brown's salary was based on his incredible experience as well as his proven ability to do the job under numerous supervisors, both Republican and Democrat.

I would expect the new budget director to start at a much lower rate of pay and get raises as she/he proves their ability over the years.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    Lee:

Just one small but potentially important point of clarification....

While the Supervisor alone does have the ability to appoint a budget director, it is my understanding that it is up to the board to approve the salary. If the appointment does not meet the approval of the board, they could in theory pass a salary so low that the appointee would not accept. Mr Brown's salary was based on his incredible experience as well as his proven ability to do the job under numerous supervisors, both Republican and Democrat.

I would expect the new budget director to start at a much lower rate of pay and get raises as she/he proves their ability over the years.

Matt
    Thank you for posting that information - which I was unaware of.

Was is equally interesting is that there is a set of checks and balances in place that combats authoritative abuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information