After months of speculation and rumors that current Director of Administration & Finance may not be reappointed should Ron Ruffino be elected Town Supervisor, Dave Brown has decided to retire and has already initiated the process.

At age 59 and after serving the town with integrity and credibility for over 35 years, it appears Brown will be leaving in his best interest. He will be missed by anyone appreciating the service he provided every administration and in serving the community as well. He is well respected by his peers.

More importantly, with Brown’s departure before the end of the month, who Supervisor Ruffino decides to appoint in that position should be equally knowledgeable, a man with integrity and credibility.

And, transparent. From the first time I appeared in his office (near 20 years ago) to get budget information, I was impressed by his openness and honesty. When I remarked on those traits in later office visits, he replied that he worked for the taxpayer and it was his job to provide information to questions asked by the public.

I will truly miss Dave Brown.

Other

Speaking of replacements, there will be a lot of intrigue filling Councilman Ruffino’s vacated seat. The 2020 town board will be made up of 2 Democrats and two Republicans (in my mind a Republican and a RINO).

There is an obvious frontrunner, but patronage and deal-making plays a big role in the political decision process