Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who will be the new Director of Administration & Finance?

That's like the Highway Superintendent is able to create as many jobs as he'd like as long
    as he stays within the budget approved by the board.

Georgia L Schlager

I was fortunate enough to get a copy of Mr. Thill’s correspondence. We are not only in agreement on the need for Mr. Brown’s continued service, but I am in debt to Mr. Thill for the information he highlighted. I respect the former Town Clerk for his knowledge, integrity and credibility.

Along with other prominent town and village leaders are extremely disturbed by Supervisor-elect Rufino's failure to respond to the repeated, efforts after the election, of David Brown, Director of Administration and Finance to speak to him.

This silence, failure to contact David Brown by supervisor-elect Rufino plus the per-election and post-election rumors and postings on “Speak Up WNY” alleging supervisor-elect Rufino will not re-appoint Mr. Brown, has resulted in David's retirement from town service effective today, December 13, 2019.

I have followed David's career as town clerk while in office and continued to do so for the past 19 years after my retirement.

I and others who have worked with David can say without hesitancy that he is gift to the citizenry of the town of Lancaster. He is the epitome of a public servant, serving the citizenry and both republican and democratic controlled administrations with equal honesty and cooperation.

David is the “guru” the “go-to person” of town administrators in Erie County. Others go to David for the answers.

I was town clerk when the town purchased accounting software. It was a piece of “untested junk”. David Brown effectively “de-bugged” that software for the programmers. His reputation among his peers is unchallenged. David has more knowledge on the accounting and budgetary process of the town that the auditors that annually review his work. NYS Comptroller’s auditors told me David is a pleasure to audit and is one of the best in the state.

The last three weeks of December of every bi annual election year is a super crazy time in the supervisor's, town clerk's and town attorney's offices in that there are very specific duties, resolutions and procedures which must be precisely followed in preparation the organizational meeting to be held by the new town board in January.

I am led to believe the not only is David retiring today but that supervisor Coleman is suffering from a broken arm and that payroll clerk Jean Farmer is going on vacation. Not good … for the last 17 days of December ... in the supervisors office.

The supervisor's office needs the expertise of David Brown for the remaining days of 2019. Notwithstanding the retirement of David Brown, Supervisor Coleman has vested in her as supervisor authority to appoint David or anyone else to the vacated position of Director of Administration and Finance for the remainder of the year.

I have urged David to pursue this avenue for the good of the citizenry he has so dutifully served for the last 35 years. Such an action on the part of David and supervisor Colman would alleviate the possibility of serious damage due to error during the last weeks of December 2019. God help us if a bond payment of principal and interest is due creditors during this crazy period and the town defaults on it indebtedness. By...by … our excellent Moody's credit rating.

Robert Thill

Thank you Mr Thill for allowing Lee to put your letter on Speakup.
    There's is some very good background info on Mr Brown in your letter.
    Also, you bringing to light the critical year end information and lack of employees
    to process everything correctly. There wasn't anything in the agenda regarding a reappointment.
    Perhaps there will be a suspended resolution on Monday night to accomplish this

Georgia L Schlager

Brown reappointed

At the town board work session, Supervisor Johanna Coleman notified the council members that she had numerous conservations with Dave Brown regarding the possibility that he considers being reappointed to the position of Director of Administration & Finance for the remainder of the year. Brown had retired and ended his service on December 13, 2019.

Coleman cited the need for the position to be filled as there were numerous end-of -year administrative undertakings that needed to get done to close out 2019 and to ensure a smooth transition for the 2020 administration. Undertakings such as certifying the tax rolls, which is cumbersome, as well as numerous other administrative tasks.

Coleman declared that she had filed with the Town Clerk a letter indicating that Dave Brown is being reappointed effective today. Coleman stated that Brown would work until the end of the year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information