Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resolution to install stop signs on HOA private roads approved by town

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Lee, please tell me you didn’t believe something that flows from the Democratic Totalitarian Party. Those people are professionally trained liars. I have never said I support 339-y. All I’ve said is that it’s the law. If one doesn’t like laws that create distortions in the tax system then how does one support senior exemptions, veterans exemptions and all the rest. My mother passed away in 2016. When she died her house had a veterans exemption courtesy of my late father and a senior exemption courtesy of her advanced age and her limited income. Neither my brother nor I desired being a landlord so we sold the family “Estate”. When I picked up copies of her tax receipts at the municipal building where she lived, the clerk gave me the “true tax” figures for her place, the tax that would be paid by the young couple, expecting their first, who bought that palace. The couple were neither veterans nor seniors so they had no exemptions and their property taxes were going to be higher by a factor of almost 5! My mom got a senior exemption because her income on a yearly basis was small. Now, my mom wasn’t a millionaire but she was far from poor. While her “income statement” (tax return) told one story her balance sheet told completely different one. Yet the senior exemption is based on income rather than wealth. I dare say that the couple buying the old girl’s place were far less able to pay the full shot than was my mom. The real property tax system is riddled with this type of unfairness. To oppose one while turning a blind eye to all the rest smacks of special pleading and envy. Deny it if you want. I don’t care because it speaks for itself. I’ll suggest to you what I suggested to Assessor Marrano: advocate for a homestead tax system for your town. It will eliminate the inequity you dislike so strongly and will substitute a whole bunch of different ones in its place. That should make you happy.
    Excellent post! I agree with it in so many ways. The example you provide of your mother’s situation is one that is most irksome to me. I have no problem with tax breaks if they are legit and merited.

I also am seeing adults as well as young couples struggling to achieve initial home ownership or unable to purchase another home because of financial stress and with no ability for tax exemptions / reduction status. They witness others with accumulated wealth, but with low income status receiving exemptions, property tax breaks on homes they can only dream of owning.

That is why it disturbs me to see someone purchase a $400,000 home and get a $5,000+ property tax break. And, their total association fee does not come anywhere near $500 per month.

As for trusting the Democratic Party, nah. I don’t trust either party and have stated so for years: “With the rare exception of a few politicos, they all suck.”

The system is broken. In New York State even more so where taxpayers are becoming stooges for the fools and tools running our government.

BTW, Grump, I am a proponent of having a town property reassessment.

I must tell you this story because it exemplifies the illogical thinking process of some who experience a property tax increase.

I am sure you are aware that reassessment is based on !00% property market value. When they did the last reassessment in 2010, I received a phone call from a few people who knew I favored the program, asking how I could think it was fair.

The one party complained that their assessment increased by $20,000 – from $190,000 to $210,000. They believed the comparable housing report used was incorrect. I asked if they were to put their home on the market for sale what would they ask. The immediate response was: “At least $250,000.” I then asked whether they heard what they just stated in comparison to what they were just assessed. All I heard then was an “Oh ****,” and a dial tone.

Lee, that’s priceless!! I’m in favor of full value assessment all the way, too. Not to flagellate a moribund equine, but as I’ve posted so many times, the whole assessment scheme is perfectly designed to pitch neighbor agains neighbor and distract from the real cause of tax problems, the perpetually upward spiraling tax levy.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Lee, that’s priceless!! I’m in favor of full value assessment all the way, too. Not to flagellate a moribund equine, but as I’ve posted so many times, the whole assessment scheme is perfectly designed to pitch neighbor agains neighbor and distract from the real cause of tax problems, the perpetually upward spiraling tax levy.

And the sad part is we have many town boards who allow this to continue. This is the problem with monopolies on services.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information