Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lancaster 2019 election

Lancaster 2019 election

Ten more weeks to election day and the candidates have hit the streets to canvass for votes. When that knock on the door takes place and a candidate introduces themselves to a prospective voter, will that individual simply accept their likely ‘palm card’ and wave them off, or will the resident read the palm card in their presence and question / comment on the proposed platform, or question the candidate on a personal issue of concern?

Will the approached voter have any knowledge of the lies, machinations and conspiracies that took place in the primary process; a process with an outcome where endorsed candidates from every town political party was defeated by challengers within and outside their parties. An outcome so offensive to each political party committee that the victorious challenger is not expected to receive financial or other campaign support.

This is an exceptional year where an informed voter is a must if she or he is truly interested in voting for the most qualified candidate who has the best interest of the town in mind (regardless of party affiliation).

It is disturbing to hear that candidates are being savaged by their opponents with false charges. A blatant example of this chicanery is Town Clerk Dianne Terranova’s opponent continuing to tell prospective voters unhappy with the new waste disposal contract that Terranova played a part in the contract negotiations and the contracts final approval. False, as Terranova has no legislative authority; as has been mentioned numerous times by different individuals posting on this site.

Within the next ten weeks voters should focus on candidate views on future town growth and how development should be managed using ‘smart growth’ principles, not sprawl – which has adversely impacted our environment and traffic / traffic safety issues.

Approached individuals should focus on and question candidates on:

Traffic and traffic safety issues and their view on resolving such issues without using the general excuse: Well, the two-lane county roads are the issue and the county refuses to improve.

Their view on flooding and drainage issues and vision to protect and preserve remaining wetlands and agriculture lands against development that best serves the developer, not the community.

Infrastructure: every candidate will voice need for some form of infrastructure improvement. In the past decade the town has spent $16 million on infrastructure repair / replacement. The candidate should clarify they’re infrastructure plan; not just a sound bite on a palm card.

Spending – the tentative 2020 budget will be out by the end of September and scrutinized concerning reason for tax levy / tax rate increase; impacted by employee hirings in the past few years (8 full-time, 5 part-time); outstanding debt; fund balance and reserves, etc.

The reason given by the town for the additional hirings is that the town is growing. At the same time so have improvements in technology and equipment; improvements that should improve productivity and should counter employee growth. What candidate will promise to do more with less?

The town has been talking about the need for more playing fields. The push for filling such need two years ago has gone nowhere. What candidate is willing to take up the challenge again – fields, not some grandiose plan to build a $6-7 million Recreation Center.

Lancaster is a great town. Unfortunately, we are paying for the past sins of our father. Which candidate has the vision and commitment to lead Lancaster in addressing current issues and to grow the town in the future in such manner that it will be prepared for the day when development slows, or ceases, and the money-tree is no more.

‘Blanks’ don’t often get campaigning candidate knocks at the door…but if we did,,, That’s sad considering unaffiliated voters make up over 20% of the town’s electorate.

Very excellent post Mr. C!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

This is an exceptional year where an informed voter is a must if she or he is truly interested in voting for the most qualified candidate who has the best interest of the town in mind (regardless of party affiliation).

It is disturbing to hear that candidates are being savaged by their opponents with false charges. A blatant example of this chicanery is Town Clerk Dianne Terranova’s opponent continuing to tell prospective voters unhappy with the new waste disposal contract that Terranova played a part in the contract negotiations and the contracts final approval. False, as Terranova has no legislative authority; as has been mentioned numerous times by different individuals posting on this site.
    Outrageous!

In the case of Terranova, this letter will serve as an excellent resource in preparing the voter's question...

Need for an Able, Truth-telling Town Clerk Who Understands the Job

The Lancaster Town Republican Committee recently endorsed for re-election the current town clerk, Diane Terranova. Terranova ran 4 years ago on the Democratic ticket. The endorsement says something about the Republican Committee's regard for the great job Terranova is doing. Terranova understands the role of the town clerk, having been part of the office team for over 14 years. She has ably fulfilled all responsibilities.

A local Republican candidate, Anne V. Desiderio, is pursuing a June 25th primary day challenge on the Republican line against Terranova. Candidate Desiderio appears not to understand the job of town clerk for which she is a candidate. Desiderio also appears to believe that in politics it is okay to misrepresent the facts. Speaking truthfully to the public apparently is not her priority.

Desiderio has crossed the line of campaign ethical decency and engaged in campaign deception in her local mailing and press releases. The town board approved a new contract for garbage collection. Desiderio, perhaps uninformed about how policy is made and who implements policy, mistakenly blames Terranova for a $5 excess garbage fee, calling that fee “The Terranova Tax”. That is outrageous.

The duties and authority vested in the office of the town clerk are set forth in detail in the NYS Town Law, General Municipal Law, Local Finance Law, Public Officers Law and Real Property Tax Law. I suggest candidate Desiderio inform herself of the powers and duties of a town clerk by reading these laws before casting stones upon the clerk, Diane Terranova, and misinforming the public. None of these laws vest in the town clerk any authority to enact laws or set fees. The town board, as the legislative body, enacted the $5 fee. It did so via the signing of 5-year garbage contract authorized by resolution of the town board. Town clerk Diane Terranova was not a signatory to that contract. Nor, did Diane Terranova have a vote on that contract. To say otherwise misrepresents the facts and misleads the electorate.

I love this community and want to see it well governed by public servants like Diane Terranova. Having served as Lancaster's town clerk for 36 years, I do understand the job of town clerk. I know that Diane Terranova is able, experienced and innovative. I also know that campaign falsehoods and misrepresentations hurt the electoral process. They deprive the public of the ability to choose wisely those who represent them. We need to stop these blatant campaign falsehoods and sleazy half-truths in campaign literature. We need an able, truth-telling town clerk.

Robert P. Thill
    Town Clerk from 1964 to 2000
    Town of Lancaster

LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Ten more weeks to election day and the candidates have hit the streets to canvass for votes. When that knock on the door takes place and a candidate introduces themselves to a prospective voter, will that individual simply accept their likely ‘palm card’ and wave them off, or will the resident read the palm card in their presence and question / comment on the proposed platform, or question the candidate on a personal issue of concern?

Will the approached voter have any knowledge of the lies, machinations and conspiracies that took place in the primary process; a process with an outcome where endorsed candidates from every town political party was defeated by challengers within and outside their parties. An outcome so offensive to each political party committee that the victorious challenger is not expected to receive financial or other campaign support.

Within the next ten weeks voters should focus on candidate views on future town growth and how development should be managed using ‘smart growth’ principles, not sprawl – which has adversely impacted our environment and traffic / traffic safety issues.

Traffic and traffic safety issues and their view on resolving such issues without using the general excuse: Well, the two-lane county roads are the issue and the county refuses to improve.

Their view on flooding and drainage issues and vision to protect and preserve remaining wetlands and agriculture lands against development that best serves the developer, not the community.

Infrastructure: every candidate will voice need for some form of infrastructure improvement. In the past decade the town has spent $16 million on infrastructure repair / replacement. The candidate should clarify they’re infrastructure plan; not just a sound bite on a palm card.

Spending – the tentative 2020 budget will be out by the end of September and scrutinized concerning reason for tax levy / tax rate increase; impacted by employee hirings in the past few years (8 full-time, 5 part-time); outstanding debt; fund balance and reserves, etc.

The reason given by the town for the additional hirings is that the town is growing. At the same time so have improvements in technology and equipment; improvements that should improve productivity and should counter employee growth. What candidate will promise to do more with less?

The town has been talking about the need for more playing fields. The push for filling such need two years ago has gone nowhere. What candidate is willing to take up the challenge again – fields, not some grandiose plan to build a $6-7 million Recreation Center.

Lancaster is a great town. Unfortunately, we are paying for the past sins of our father. Which candidate has the vision and commitment to lead Lancaster in addressing current issues and to grow the town in the future in such manner that it will be prepared for the day when development slows, or ceases, and the money-tree is no more.

‘Blanks’ don’t often get campaigning candidate knocks at the door…but if we did,,, That’s sad considering unaffiliated voters make up over 20% of the town’s electorate.

The next ten weeks should be about who will be the best person for the seat they are vying for.

1. For Supervisor, it is important that the person who represents the town as the CEO of a substantial budget should be the person most suited to manage such a large town. That person should poses a fiscal mindset and expertise when sitting in that Supervisor seat. Experience is critical and when you think about the right person to vote for, start by looking at the candidates voting record. Go to the town website and view how both candidates have voted in their tenure as a Town Council Member(s). Decide who is a fiscal watchdog, have they challenged the current Supervisor in areas that reflects openness / transparency and who will have the taxpayers best interests. That is the person you should vote for.

2. For Town Council seats up, you should look for the person who has served in other capacitates like on the Planning Board and check out their voting record by going to the town website. Observe what their platform is and decide the cost and effectiveness of governing that reflects what is in the best interests of the taxpayers. Again, experience is key here.

3. For Town Clerk, a seat most contentious, reflect on the history of the candidate and ask the question(s) do we need fresh eyes, or does experience factor in here. One would wonder why a Democrat was not endorsed by their Democratic party and reflect on who will serve the town with the expertise needed for efficiency and quality techniques.

Lastly, reflect on integrity and commitment, not misguided narratives and using their position(s) to benefit their own family. Their service is to the town as a whole.
    Last edited by shortstuff; August 29th, 2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post

3. For Town Clerk,... reflect on integrity and commitment, not misguided narratives and using their position(s) to benefit their own family. Their service is to the town as a whole.
    Hmmm?

With that said...

Melissa and Ralph are still steering the wheel... Until we can see viable change in leadership, expect same old politics in Lancaster.

From the Lancaster "The Bee," April 17, 2019:

Registered Democrat Diane Terranova has also filed petitions to run on the Republican line after the incumbent clerk’s party refused to endorse her re-election campaign, according to a release sent by Ralph Mohr, Desiderio’s campaign manager.
    ...and let's not forget...

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff

3. Town Clerk:

-Diane Terranova served this town well as Clerk. I think she is the best qualified candidate.
    ...your choice must be Diane Terranova, eh Shortstuff?
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Originally Posted by shortstuff

3. For Town Clerk, a seat most contentious, reflect on the history of the candidate and ask the question(s) do we need fresh eyes, or does experience factor in here. One would wonder why a Democrat was not endorsed by their Democratic party and reflect on who will serve the town with the expertise needed for efficiency and quality techniques.
    So, are you saying that you continue to be a Terranova supporter or that the Town Clerk’s office needs “fresh eyes”?

So, are you saying that you continue to be a Terranova supporter or that the Town Clerk’s office needs “fresh eyes”?
    Well, I felt at the time that she is the best person to be elected in that position. I have not changed my position on that, with that being said, I did learn some things about what happened "behind closed doors" and I am not pleased with what I learned.

Well, I felt at the time that she is the best person to be elected in that position. I have not changed my position on that, with that being said, I did learn some things about what happened "behind closed doors" and I am not pleased with what I learned.

More gossip and fairy tales?

Hmmm...

Anne Desiderio for Clerk is with Bobby Matthews and 2 others.
    August 21 at 3:09 PM ·

I would like to thank everyone that was able to make it out last night to my chicken bbq fundraiser, what a beautiful summer evening. I am humbled and so very grateful for all of the support. I’d like to give a shout out to my family and friends that helped to make last night such a huge success!! I am excited for what lies ahead and look forward to meeting and making new friends as we move on to November.
    Anne
    ...ya know what I mean?

Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 30th, 2019 at 01:00 PM.

Yikes, a little problem with tenses Shortstuff?

John Bruso is big on assigning homework, so is he tutoring you in English grammar, because you appear to write in his style?

I simply can not tell if you held that Ms. Diane was the best person for the job in the past, or still is the best person for the job today.

Just sayin'.

Sample ballot for Lancaster 27th district

Georgia L Schlager

Agreed the right people with experience should be voted in not just a popularity contest. The Town of lancaster should be run as a business by someone who has experience in managing people and Huge responsibility of tax payers dollars.
    I want to see someone with proven responsibility and experience.
    Just because you run a small corner shop business with no employees
    ,and the Mayor (who signs off on your expenses for the Village events) should make you a Supervisor candidate.
    Come on Lancaster, put aside political affiliations and find someone who will do the Job. Not just take the paycheck.

1. For Supervisor, it is important that the person who represents the town as the CEO of a substantial budget should be the person most suited to manage such a large town. That person should poses a fiscal mindset and expertise when sitting in that Supervisor seat. Experience is critical and when you think about the right person to vote for, start by looking at the candidates voting record. Go to the town website and view how both candidates have voted in their tenure as a Town Council Member(s). Decide who is a fiscal watchdog, have they challenged the current Supervisor in areas that reflects openness / transparency and who will have the taxpayers best interests. That is the person you should vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanc View Post

1. For Supervisor, it is important that the person who represents the town as the CEO of a substantial budget should be the person most suited to manage such a large town. That person should poses a fiscal mindset and expertise when sitting in that Supervisor seat. Experience is critical and when you think about the right person to vote for, start by looking at the candidates voting record.
    Is that person Ron Ruffino, of whom these questions may be asked?:

Is missing nearly 25% of all budget votes during one's tenure indicative of "the right person" to vote for to "manage a large town?

Is voting for an unbroken string of 8 high tax and spend budgets the proper "fiscal mindset?"

Is perhaps recklessly casting what appears to be a showboat "No" vote to an emergency option to raise taxes, an option which was not exercised and with no resultant tax increases, while, during the attendant time period, voting "Yes" to all special district taxes indicative of "the person most suited to manage" a large town?

BTW, I am viewing that writing style, conveying what appears to be some rather obsessive pet peeves, to be a little more than coincidentally familiar.

Just sayin'.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 14th, 2019 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Is that person Ron Ruffino, of whom these questions may be asked?:

Is missing nearly 25% of all budget votes during one's tenure indicative of "the right person" to vote for to "manage a large town?

Is voting for an unbroken string of 8 high tax and spend budgets the proper "fiscal mindset?"

Is perhaps recklessly casting what appears to be a showboat "No" vote to an emergency option to raise taxes, an option which was not exercised and with no resultant tax increases, while, during the attendant time period, voting "Yes" to all special district taxes indicative of "the person most suited to manage" a large town?

BTW, I am viewing that writing style, conveying what appears to be some rather obsessive pet peeves, to be a little more than coincidentally familiar.

Just sayin'.
    Also, the budget "No" votes seem to resemble the time frame corresponding to the Ruffino efforts leading up to the narrowest of re-election victories in 2017, and his current effort to become Supervisor.

This record, IMHO, does not seem to reflect a true conservative heart, but a death-bed conversation to seek redemption for a stained liberal soul...

sought
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 14th, 2019 at 10:21 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

Do you want this Conservative clown as your supervisor?

Georgia L Schlager

Is this what Ruffino was doing when he was ABSENT for FOUR budget votes?

See the John Travolta imitator at...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xlvKnRurGY
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information