Thread: Why Lackawanna's turbines don't always blow in the wind

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Why Lackawanna's turbines don't always blow in the wind

Why Lackawanna's turbines don't always blow in the wind

Ever notice how many of the wind turbines on the old Bethlehem Steel property along Lake Erie don't rotate, even on windy days?
    Now we know why.

The company that manufactured parts for the turbines went bankrupt, and the owner of the turbines in Lackawanna and Hamburg can't get replacement parts.
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/16/w...w-in-the-wind/

"They have replaced these windmills two-and-a-half times over, and they're still not functioning," said Sean Doyle, executive director of the Hamburg Industrial Development Agency.

An attorney for Erie Wind told the Hamburg Planning Board recently that the new blades will be longer, but he said the company is proposing several features to make them safer for birds and bats: feathering the blades and curtailment, so they do not operate at lower wind speeds when birds and bats are typically flying.

The New York State Thruway Authority last year filed a lawsuit over four wind turbines at area highway exits that don't work. Those turbines were installed in 2013 and 2014 with the aim of saving energy costs.

But four of the turbines in Chautauqua and Erie counties stopped working. The French manufacturer of those turbines, Vergnet, went into receivership in 2017.
    Apparently they don't work.

the toll one in either Westfield or Ripley does work, but it's a different style than the other toll booths have

another issue with wind mills in general is that the parts apparently aren't recyclable for anything
    https://www.npr.org/2019/09/10/75937...by-wind-energy
    Vote for freedom, not political parties.
    Politicians need to cut spending

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I saw the articles about the blades. Gonna be a lot of piles of blades.

I'm all for being "green" but it's time everyone be realistic about it.

If I ever retire I could see me puttering around with a water turbine if I purchased property with a creek or a few solar panels if a cord didn't reach something I needed.

I'm thinking about installing a small solar power shed light that I really don't need to do but I think it would be cool.

I know a guy who setup a hydroponic system for veggies and the pump is powered by a panel/battery.

People have enough problems that they don't need someone taking their money and spending on items that don't benefit them while they are on this earth. The democrats including many republican office holders tend to do that. My opinion on a lot of this type of stuff is it's time to tell these people to shove it up their ass.

Thread Information