Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Buffalo nursing home owner hits Poloncarz with defamation suit

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Former Buffalo nursing home owner hits Poloncarz with defamation suit

Former Buffalo nursing home owner hits Poloncarz with defamation suit

Judith Landa, a former investor in the Emerald South and Emerald North nursing homes, is suing County Executive Mark Poloncarz for slander and libel.

Since last year, Poloncarz has railed against the ownership of the two area nursing homes, where patients have suffered harm or died, and has been an outspoken critic of Landa and her husband, Benjamin.

He later said he would "never be silenced by threats of others" when it came to protecting residents' safety.

But he declined to comment Friday after Landa filed suit in State Supreme Court alleging Poloncarz uttered and tweeted "false statements," used her businesses for political gain, caused her business dealings to suffer financially and damaged her reputation.
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/11/15/f...box=1573868178

First off why wasn't this mentioned before the election? Or did this literally just come up this week?

The County Executive's Office previously stated that the county is prepared "to fully defend against this frivolous lawsuit" when Landa filed her initial notice of claim.
    Why do we defend this? This is Mark's issue.

Judith Landa, a former investor in the Emerald South and Emerald North nursing homes, is suing County Executive Mark Poloncarz for slander and libel.
    Mark allegedly slandered the business not the county.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    In the lawsuit, Landa said Poloncarz was "malicious" and "motivated by spite, and ill will" toward Landa. In particular, she took issue with his tweets and verbal comments from August 2018, when a news conference was held outside Emerald South to decry conditions there. Some of Poloncarz's comments echoed those made by employees who worked there.
    Who's twitter account was he using? The County's or his own?

Those residents didn't have anyone to protect them. Poloncarz did the right thing in my opinion.
    Those owners were irresponsible

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Those residents didn't have anyone to protect them. Poloncarz did the right thing in my opinion.
    Those owners were irresponsible

Who's twitter account did he use? The official Erie County Twitter account or his own?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Mark allegedly slandered the business not the county.
    It's not slander when it's TRUE!!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Totally irrelevant Breezy.

I'm looking at who will foot the bill true or not.

I'm not saying people shouldn't look out for the elderly but in the end why should county residents foot the bill for what Mark put out on social media.

Was it his account or an official Erie County account?

I saw what and how Absolute Care in Orchard Park dealt with the elderly they cared for first hand. An elderly gentleman who had no family in the end needed someone to watch over him. He didn't know what year it was most of the time. When he did have his marbles he made a point of about being placed with his family when he passed away. My other 1/2 made sure of that including being his health proxy. We witnessed how the system worked until the day they slide his coffin into the mausoleum where the rest of his family is. We could tell you stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    It's not slander when it's TRUE!!

Spot on!!!!

Georgia L Schlager

I'm not saying people shouldn't look out for the elderly but in the end why should county residents foot the bill for what Mark put out on social media.

I saw what and how Absolute Care in Orchard Park dealt with the elderly they cared for first hand. An elderly gentleman who had no family in the end needed someone to watch over him. He didn't know what year it was most of the time. When he did have his marbles he made a point of about being placed with his family when he passed away. My other 1/2 made sure of that including being his health proxy. We witnessed how the system worked until the day they slide his coffin into the mausoleum where the rest of his family is. We could tell you stories.
    There had to be many wonderful success stories over the years no doubt for many nursing homes. You could contact the attorney and offer those in their defense. Over the years they had to have provided great care in enough residents to have remained in business, I would hope, and when family of residents are involved on a near daily basis, the care offered by that also adds to the success stories.

Sadly of course we all read about the serious and even fatal incidents, and from what I understand that is what Mark wrote about in the case of Emerald South and Emerald North nursing homes. I don't know from the Buffalo News article what account is involved.

Maybe Mark should sue the plaintiffs and their attorneys for any costs incurred by the county government because it is such a frivolous lawsuit anyway and especially since these rich creeps dumped hundreds of thousands of dollars in last-minute campaign donations aimed at knocking off Mark in the election a few weeks back.

I say TOUGH to those owners.

Maybe had they instead put all that cash into their business a better outcome for all - especially residents - could have occurred.

I bet for something like this he'd get a lot of attorneys who would do it for free!

Who is responsible for licensing and inspecting nursing homes? The state or the county ?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I bet for something like this he'd get a lot of attorneys who would do it for free!
    That would be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    Who is responsible for licensing and inspecting nursing homes? The state or the county ?
    NYS and sometimes federal inspectors

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    NYS and sometimes federal inspectors
    So you can probably see where I’m going with this. Why is the County executive getting involved if it’s the states jurisdiction? I completely agree that the company that ran the homes were total pos, but when you’re in office you have to weigh carefully the words you speak or they could come back and bite you in the a s s

Isn’t he a lawyer? Why doesn’t he defend himself for free and save the county money? As for a lot of lawyers defending him for nothing? Fat chance!!! Or better yet, Breezy, since you’re so civic minded and know that it’s a slam dunk case why don’t you pay to defend him? Shouldn’t cost hardly anything. Better still, you pay for his lawyers and if, by some chance you’re wrong, you and Poloncarz split the damages between you so that the rest of us don’t get stuck paying his tab

Says a lot that the thread does not include any whining about the county clerk's lawsuit concerning the Green Light Law, which, of course someone who supports the law may oppose the county clerk using taxpayers money in order to push that lawsuit.

Personally I don't care much about each lawsuit, but that's just me!

LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information