Thread: Perks - The Library Chairs

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Perks - The Library Chairs

Massage chairs at a library? 'Questionable' expenses raise eyebrows in Cheektowaga

The Cheektowaga supervisor is considering cutting funding to the town's two libraries by more than 60%, which could mean cutting operating hours for one library and staff hours for library employees.It could also be bad news for library staffers who could use a massage.
    Supervisor Diane Benczkowski said her budget recommendation for the Julia Boyer Reinstein and Anna Reinstein Memorial libraries was made after finding library expenditures that she described as "questionable," including: five reclining full-body massage chairs at $229.99 each; 12 barrel-chairs for $1,500; two hand-painted wall murals for $1,000 each; 12 three-tier literature racks for $1,300; and four three-tier lockers for $980.
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/16/a...UyvE9JuOe6T4RI

Don't be fool by this. This is not why are taxes are the highest in the nation for the most part.

But Glenn Luba, director of Cheektowaga Public Library, said the chairs were purchased to replace existing staff furniture.

“Those chairs were purchased to replace existing staff chairs in the lounge that were in disrepair. They just happened to be massage chairs available at closeout pricing,” said Luba. “The staff works from four to eight hours on their feet. It can be a taxing job. Not everyone who comes in the library has a positive attitude, and it can get stressful.”

He pointed out that visitor counts at the town's two libraries totaled 218,252 for 2018.

“It’s easy to say, but ultimately you can’t take that amount of funding away,” said Luba. “Both locations will take a hit. Staff members already are working their tails off because of all the county cuts.

Staff are “working their tails off” , yes we know how hard government employees work, gmafb

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Those chairs were purchased to replace existing staff chairs in the lounge that were in disrepair.
    That is true and solid furniture isn't cheap.

They just happened to be massage chairs available at closeout pricing,” said Luba.
    That is another solid valid point. If these were just $230 chairs would any questions be raised?

Lets say these were purchased. As you can see on Amazon they sell for $233.34 each. They even have free shipping.

They can hold a 350 pound person but they don't vibrate.

Boss Office Products B991-CP Heavy Duty Double Plush LeatherPlus Chair with 350lbs Weight Capacity in Black

Here is a basic chair on Amazon

Would anyone care?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    He pointed out that visitor counts at the town's two libraries totaled 218,252 for 2018.
    218,252 / 365 (open 7 days a week) = 597.95 people a day between 2 libraries = 298 visitors a day.

So any idea how often the average person visits a library each year? Of the 298 visitors I wonder how many are the same people each week.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Round numbers...

A story in the news over 5 $230 chairs...

5 X $230 = $1150

Our town budget is about 92,000,000

$1150 is what percent of $92,000,000 dollars...

There you go

$1150 is .0000025 % of our budget.

I consider "property taxes" school/town/county....The check is mailed/dropped off at the same address. I don't care how it's divided up once it get's there.

So if your property taxes were $5000 a year those 5 chairs cost you .0125 cents for 5 chairs. Can someone check my math?

Those 5 chairs are not the reason our property taxes are obnoxious compared to many other areas in the USA.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Ah ha..I think these are the chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    “The staff works from four to eight hours on their feet. It can be a taxing job. Not everyone who comes in the library has a positive attitude, and it can get stressful.”
    Oh please... yeah this is a drop in the ocean as previously discussed. No need to dramatize the duties of the staff here.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    A drop in the budget. That's my point.

I don't know all the details on this purchase but good chairs are not cheap whether they massage or not. I know my desk chair from Buffalo Office Furniture was about $300 or so. I have had it for long time. If I was going to spend $300 anyways I don't care what type of chair they purchased. It's still $300 bucks. Does that make sense?

People are making an issue of this but it's not the main cause of our increasing high taxes.

This is like focusing on a drip of water in your basement while you have a 2 foot hole in your roof letting gallons of rain in. Err something like that.

I hope I don't see some lame campaign mailer come election time.

Vote for me!!!!!

Saving taxpayers on wasteful purchases!!!!!
    With some lame ass photo of the massage chairs..

I'd rather see

Vote for me!!!!

I'll privatize town services and cut your tax bill by 40%

Yeah that's it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Dan?

I type this into my calculator for an answer

Not everyone who comes in the library has a positive attitude, and it can get stressful.

You know what came up on the screen?

^^

Here's how much the Feds pay for an office chair: https://www.unicor.gov/Product.aspx?idProduct=2750

Quote Originally Posted by Neubs24 View Post
    ^^

Here's how much the Feds pay for an office chair: https://www.unicor.gov/Product.aspx?idProduct=2750
    Stupid is. Stupid does!

I have yet to see a real tree that grows money, But the government seem to think we all have access to one.

Thread Information