Thread: Lancaster School Budget vote - Soccer Moms out number

Lancaster School Budget vote - Soccer Moms out number

It appears Soccer Moms are out numbering Seniors at the voting booths.

If that holds true- we will see the new budget pass. Good, bad or in different - consider your vote on this budget is the closest you'll ever get to controlling you property taxes.

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

The vote is today, right?
    **free is a trademark of the current U.S. government.

If it's anything like my town, the vote really doesn"t matter much. If Alden's budget passes, we are looking at 7.91% increase in taxes. If it is voted down, the contingency budget is an automatic 7.1%. Why even bother?
    According to Vikki G. Weisbeck, reporter for the Alden Advertser
    "The Alden Central School Board of Education has adopted an expenditure budget in the amount of $31,214,188 (slightly less than the current school year). Even though expenditures have not increased, tax payers will see a higher tax bill this year due to the anticipated loss of $1.7 million in state aid."

I justed voted and saw more people voting than I ever saw at a general election.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by 4248 View Post
    It appears Soccer Moms are out numbering Seniors at the voting booths.
    This soccer mom was happily voting today.
    If you don't like gay marriage blame straight people. They're the ones who keep having gay babies.

Well I certainly hope it does pass. It'll be a travesty to the students and a major hit on the quality of education available at Lancaster if it doesn't.

To my dismay, the school budget passed. I wonder what was allocated in the budget for teachers' salary increases with no contract.

Georgia L Schlager

Well...........the people spoke........democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangodown View Post
    That's very true. It always depends on who votes, annd the union
    are excellent at getting out the vote. I suspect that was more true that ever this year.

Quote Originally Posted by atotaltotalfan2001 View Post
    That's very true. It always depends on who votes, annd the union
    are excellent at getting out the vote. I suspect that was more true that ever this year.
    So....maybe people don't "hate" the unions as much as we think? The vast majority of working/voting class people are non union and also "hate" the high taxes..........so now it is the unions fault the budget passed?

Nobody makes me vote for anyone, I form my own opinion and vote, regardless of party line on who I like.....which in todays age means voting against EVERY incumbent.

If people were that peed off about taxes then why vote yes for any budget with an increase?

Shame on those that didn't vote, but if you didn't than you have no one to blame but yourself....(and of course those that voted to pass it).

Quote Originally Posted by Tangodown View Post
    Amen.

Here are the results for Lancaster:

Candidates: (Elect 3) Brenda Christopher, 2,492; Kenneth Graber (i), 2,414; Joseph Casimino (i), 2,173; Mary Bitka, 2,054; Leonard Goodman, 988.

Budget: $85.84 million, up 1.34 percent. Yes, 2,525; no, 1,678.

Proposition 2: To spend $1.18 million from the transportation reserve fund to purchase 11 65-passenger school buses. Yes, 2,608; no, 1,561.

School Budget votes are a farce, it is a scheme to make the district voter think they have a say, but they really don't. The way it works today a district proposes a budget to be voted upon, if it is defeated the district has two options, first re-author a budget and vote or second, adopt a contingent budget. Here is were it gets interesting, the contingent budget may be the same as the original budget, slightly less or more. Case in point, the Lockport School District. The District is faced with approx $4 million less in state aid, as part of the budget deliberations the SB decided to close two schools, layoff approx 40 teachers and other staff along with other cuts. In the end the SB presented a budget spending plan that was the same as last year and because of the State aid loss would increase the tax rate 7.1%. Well the budget was defeated yesterday and they can either adopt a contingent budget that would basically include everything in the earlier budget and still represent a 7% tax increase. It is such a great system we have here.

Thread Information