Thread: Town Clerk's 2019 Race History: The Swamp's battleground

Town Clerk's 2019 Race History: The Swamp's battleground

All of this is just of course my opinion:

The constant Main Stream news coverage of the "virtuous" resistance to President Trump's efforts to "Drain The Washington
    Swamp" is giving me a headache, and I am constantly finding ways to avoid the non-stop righteous ranting.

I am starting to react in the same way to Lancaster's Campaign 2019.

For me, it is very sad and highly troubling to experience a very similar "Swamp" push-back template present in Lancaster.

On the national level, the weapon of choice appears to be the "Deep State" presence within Intel community. In Lancaster, the preferred weapon may be sabotage, employed on the battlefield that is the campaign for Town Clerk. It is that down-ballot campaign that best illustrates the bi-partisan effort to preserve the interests of singular Republican-Democrat "Swamp."

IMHO, there have been reputations sacrificed, personal relationships strained, families divided, and the best interests
    of our town almost entirely disregarded, all in the interests of fostering the personal power, influence, and profit of the self-serving bi-partisan "Swamp" dwellers.

When this year began, both parties were fractured.

In October, 2018, the Republican Party, marginalized and dispirited for so long, changed leadership and purposeful direction to become an all-inclusive party dedicated to putting the safety, the needs and concerns of Lancaster first.

Also in 2018, the Democrat Party also appeared to have changed, but in a direction polar opposite to that of the "New Republican Party." The Democrats reversed course and revisited the past, with the instillation of personages which I understand had previously applied the most distasteful of campaign tactics, and seemingly always embraced and reaped the fruits of taxpayer-subsidized patronage.

Those threatening "The Swamp" interests of both the Republican and Democrat parties appear to the subjects of significant push-back by those who seek to preserve those interests.

The "New Republican Party" faced guerrilla warfare from the its deposed establishment "Swamp Dwellers."

The Democrat Party "Swamp" dwellers sought to end the tenure of an eminently qualified and highly principled Diane Terranova, who appeared to be acting in the best interests of the Lancaster taxpayers and residents, when she boldly resisted the party leadership's demands for patronage.

Taking each situation in turn:

(1) The Lancaster Republican Party voted to change direction in October, 2018. That directional shift was an apparent reaction to these words written by Chairman-To-Be Greg Sojka on July 5, 2018:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Sojka View Post
    ... both the Democrats and Republicans are really one party drinking from the same troth. They work together, they scheme together, they share the patronage, and as things stand, things will not change...

They certainly won't get it from the political parties, because both the Democrats and Republicans are really one party drinking from the same troth. They work together, they scheme together, they share the patronage, and as things stand, things will not change.

For Lancaster to be a better place, it needs two strong political parties. Up until now, the Republican Party has not been very strong, and has to change before Lancaster can become a better place. As long as the Republican Party is run by the same old closed patronage bunch, only watching out for their own wallets and perks, the Republican Party will continue to lose elections, and Lancaster will not reach its full potential...

It is simple, no more campaigns based on BS soundbites and old boy interests. It is time that the Republican Party hear the people, and address their concerns with platforms and candidates who will put the people of Lancaster first, and then, to stand by and fully support those candidates.

Consistent with Sojka's comments of July 5, 2018, and in harmony with its new direction, the Lancaster Republicans began an intense and transparent solicitation of all Lancaster residents interested in seeking elected town office in 2019.

In January, 2019, the Lancaster Republican Party began a public solicitation campaign for highly qualified candidates, without strict regard to political affiliation.

Although the designation of a June 25 primary date made necessary an accelerated process, all applicants were thoroughly vetted, vigorously interviewed, scrutinized, and assessed. After that thoughtful process, the "New" Lancaster Town Committee endorsed the following candidates:

Dawn Gaczewski, a sitting Town Council member, a registered Conservative, was endorsed for Town Supervisor.

Robert Leary and Bruce Stutz, both registered Republicans were endorsed for two Town Council seats.

Diane Terranova, the incumbent Town Clerk, a registered Democrat was endorsed for re-election, and was endorsed before
    the Lancaster Democrat Party made its endorsement.

All of the Republican candidates also received the endorsements of the Independence and Conservative parties.

The apparent resistance to the first full campaign of the "New Republican Party" started almost immediately. This timeline speaks to "The Resistance:

(A) A personage for the most part unknown to the Republican Committee, Ann Desiderio, emerged from the fog of anonymity to mount a challenge to the endorsed Terranova. Her campaign seemingly was almost exclusively based on the fact that she was a registered Republican and that Terranova was a Democrat.

Attachment 13071

I note that Ms. Desiderio apparently did not respond to the Republican Party's solicitation for candidates, and to the best of my knowledge previously did not express any interest to the Republican Committee in the Town Clerk position.

As such, Ms. Desiderio did not make a presentation of her credentials; she did not sit for an interview; and most importantly, failed to subject her background for scrutiny and vetting.

Had Ms. Desiderio complied with the vetting procedures, it is my understanding that, at the very least, the background process would have revealed that Ms. Desiderio was a DEFENDENT in six (6) legal proceedings relating to financial instutions from 2009-2014.

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...ight=desiderio
    As Town Clerk, Ms. Desiderio would also function as the town's Receiver of Taxes, and in that regard, the custodian of that office is responsible for the management of over 90 million dollars in tax payments. As such, her financial management skills should, in my opinion, be a proper subject for public scrutiny and consideration.

By avoiding the vetting process, Ms. Desiderio's record went unscrutinzed and challenged by the Republican Committee.

(https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...rio+town+clerk)

During the March-early April, 2019 time period, what was unclear about the Desiderio challenge was whether it was an organized attempt by the deposed Republican establishment powerholders to sabotage the "New Republican Party," or an merely awkward attempt to disrupt the Republican selection process by a local resident.

Based upon anecdotal information, it soon became clear that the Desiderio challenge had the full support of the Republican power-holder Ralph Mohr, and perhaps a significant band of rogue Republicans who opposed the "New Direction" of the Lancaster Republican Party.

(B) In early April, 2019, somehow, the Independence Party's endorsement of Terranova and Bob Leary were
    mysteriously withdrawn.

In response to (A) and (B) above, Chairman Sojka, in an address to the Erie County Republican Chairman's round table in early April, 2019 appealed for Republican unity and cooperation spoke these words:

"Last October, The Lancaster Republicans changed direction to become an all-inclusive party that welcomes the opinions, ideas, and input of all of Lancaster's residents when it comes to addressing the needs and concerns of the people of Lancaster...

...As a party organization, while always welcoming dissenting ideas, must unite to end any sabotage and any resistance to this new direction. To do otherwise, not only undermines our town and county leadership, but ill-serves the needs, interests, and concerns of our citizens as we all try to make or towns, our county, and our state the best in the nation."
    (C) Ralph Mohr, , in comments to the Lancaster Bee, answered Sojka with a slick narrative of the status of the Desiderio campaign, seemingly deceptive of some basic facts :

Desiderio announces bid for Lancaster town clerk
    April 17, 2019

Anne Desiderio has officially qualified herself for the ballot for Lancaster town clerk by filing almost twice the number of signatures required on petitions filed at the Erie County Board of Elections. She will be running on the Republican line.

“I am extremely grateful for the outpouring of support my candidacy has received to date, and that is evidenced by the number of Republican signatures I was able to file,” said Desiderio. “The reception my volunteers and I were receiving at the doors was very enthusiastic and encouraging, and it strengthens my resolve to work even harder on behalf of all of the residents of Lancaster.”

An award-winning professional with more than 25 years of delivering service and clerical support in Western New York’s healthcare industry, Desiderio’s career performance and achievements have been recognized by her peers and employers. Bringing those same skills, and commitment to excellence in customer service, are priorities for her campaign.

Registered Democrat Diane Terranova has also filed petitions to run on the Republican line after the incumbent clerk’s party refused to endorse her re-election campaign, according to a release sent by Ralph Mohr, Desiderio’s campaign manager. Earlier this year, the Lancaster Democrat organization endorsed Cynthia Maciejewski for the clerk position. Terranova will now face life-long Republican Desiderio in the Republican primary to be held June 25.

“I stand for the Republican principles of delivering the highest quality services in a friendly, efficient and effective manner,” Desiderio said after filing her petitions. “I am looking forward to bringing my business experience and commitment to making our government work better for the residents it serves, to the Town Clerk’s Office.”

(D) Almost contemporaneous with the Desiderio candidacy, The Independence Party, for a reason(s) which still confound many, lent its name to mailers, in support of Ms. Desiderio's Republican Primary effort.

Attachment 13072

It should be noted that while the Independence Party withdrew its support for Terranova and for Bob Leary, it appears that it never directly endorsed Ms. Desiderio for Town Clerk, nor, I understand, did Ms. Desiderio petition for the Independence Line in the June 25, 2019 primary.

(E) Shortly before the June 25, 2019 primary this was left under the mailbox of this writer and circulated to certain personages throughout the town...

Attachment 13074

(F) As of September 25, 2019, the Independence Party continued to lend its name to the Desiderio campaign, even though Ms. Desiderio does not hold that Party's ballot line. Your attention is directed to post #5 of this link...

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...siderio-Flyers

(G) The Mary Kless issue was made known in a Buffalo News article on October 7, 2019...

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/07/p...B6IGbpT7iOavUM..

...and added perspectives are present on this Speak Up thread...

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...nternal-Matter

Regarding the Republican "Swamp" interests, the reader can draw its own conclusions as to what motivated the Desiderio candidacy.

(2) Regarding the Democrat "Swamp" interests, Diane Terranova, the incumbent Democrat Town Clerk apparently has resisted Democrat Party demands for frivolous and unnecessary patronge.

Terranova Statement On Democrat Swamp.jpg

I understand that the Democrat Swamp interests responded when it refused to endorse Diane Terranova for re-election, and endorsed Cynthia Maciejewski as its candidate for Town Clerk.

In my opinion, the Maciejewski campaign was a shallow as that of Ms. Desiderio's, in that it lacked a credible argument to replace a eminently qualified administrator who oversees a very well-functioning office, and IMHO, suggests that a Democrat "Swamp" version of resistance to Terranova.

In that connection, these curious events seem to support my opinion:

(A) Terranova's primary victory notwithstanding, I understand that the leadership of the Lancaster Democrat Party circulated an email to Democrat Committee members which in part said...

"Recently you may have received this email and a paper invite to a fundraiser for Diane Terranova. Before you consider attending you should be interested in knowing where your money has gone and is going...

...Diane has not contributed a dime to this committee in the past 2 years."
    That email I understand was sent, even though Ms. Terranova's Board of Election records appear to contradict the substance of the message...

Terranova BOE records.jpg

(B) In late early August I was advised that Ms. Terranova, selected by Democrat primary voters as their candidate for Town Clerk, was not permitted to address the Lancaster Town Democrat Committee consistent with this narrative...
    (1) The eyewitness described the meeting in one word: "Unbelievable."

(2) The congregation was divided into small groups seated at individual tables.

(3) When Ms Terranova asked for an opportunity to speak, dissatisfaction seemingly arose from the participants seated at only one table.

(4) The Chair, in apparent support of the dissenting participants, applied a loud and aggressive verbal admonishment, apparently to silence Ms. Terranova.

(5) When a participant supportive of Terranova rose to protest the "censorship," I understand that another party official overtly approached the Terranova supporter in such a way as to suggest hostile intent. That same party official I understand from my source, with fists clenched and arms flailing, appeared to be so full of rage and bellicose animation, that the presiding Chair was required to intervene to prevent physical violence, restore order, and return to the meeting, some semblance of decorum.

(6) The result of the circumstances described in (1)-(5) above was that Ms. Terranova and/or her supporters were not permitted to fully address the congregation.

(7) I also understand that certain members of the 2019 Democrat ticket were present at the meeting, including Mr. Ruffino, who according to my source, had no direct reaction to the circumstances which attended the suppression of the perceived free speech rights of a strong woman, who just happens to be an eminently qualified incumbent public servant.

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...Division/page2

(C) Although Democrat candidate for Supervisor Ron Ruffino, in October, 2017 wrote voters...

"From day one I have promised that I am for the people and refused to be controlled by party bosses. I am very proud to say, that I have not deviated from that promise..."
    I understand that in connection with the meeting described above, Mr. Ruffino made no effort whatsoever to see it that Ms. Terranova, the people's choice, be permitted an opportunity to address the Committee.

More troubling, as of August 21, 2019, nearly two months after Ms. Terranova was selected by Democrat Party voters as their candidate for Town Clerk, the photograph illustrated on post #57 of...

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...Division/page4

still highlighted the "Ron Ruffino Sr. For Supervisor" Face Book page.

The reader will note that the post #57 photo illustrates the Democrat endorsed candidate for Town Clerk in the primary, and not Ms. Terranova, the candidate selected by the Democrat primary voters.

The "New Republican Party" and Diane Terranova while wearing competing political collars, are kindred in their commitment to always act in the best interests of all of the people of Lancaster, and their presence appear to constitute threats to the interests of what I consider to be the singular Lancaster Republican-Democrat "Swamp."

I believe that "Swamp" is committed to the political destruction of both the "New Republican Party" and to Diane Terranova.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 10th, 2019 at 11:51 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

BTW, I neglected to include this "Food For Thought."

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

While Gaczewski supporters are very confident, I always say "Expect the unexpected."

In keeping with that philosophy, I wonder if Ruffino is elected, has he given any thought as to whom he will support to fill his unexpired Town Council term?

Would Ruffino support a candidate who may have been rejected by the voters like an Abraham, or perhaps if one of his running mates lose, a McCracken or a Mazur?

Or, really thinking out of the box, he will revisit the past, and perhaps pluck a former Village of Lancaster mayor from the stagnate "Lancaster Swamp?"

Just "thinking out loud."
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Attachments for (1) (D) and (E)

(1) (D)...

(1) (E)...

Attached Images Attached Images

Had Ms. Desiderio complied with the vetting procedures, it is my understanding that, at the very least, the background process would have revealed that Ms. Desiderio was a DEFENDENT in six (6) legal proceedings relating to financial instutions from 2009-2014.

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...ight=desiderio
    My mistake, but it appears that Ms. Desiderio was named as a defendant in five (5) legal proceedings relating to financial institutions, and not six (6) such proceedings.

Your attention is directed to...wells.jpg

...which suggests two different Plaintiff Wells Fargo institutions.

I prefer to embrace the side of fairness.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 10th, 2019 at 05:56 PM.

Thread Information