Thread: Voters in California Reject Wal-Mart

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tony Fracasso - Admin

Voters in California Reject Wal-Mart

Full story

INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) -- Voters in this Los Angeles suburb rejected a ballot measure Tuesday that would have allowed Wal-Mart to build a warehouse-sized store while skirting zoning, traffic and environmental reviews.

With all 29 precincts reporting and absentee ballots counted, Inglewood voters opposed the initiative, with 60.6 percent voting 'no' and 39.3 percent voting 'yes,' said Gabby Contreras of the city clerk's office.

That amounts to 7,049 votes against the initiative and 4,575 in favor. Contreras said there are about 40,000 registered voters in the city.

Full story

Honestly, I'm surprised.

Wal-Mart is a popular store and the corporation tried to manipulate that popularity to get around a supposed hand-full of residents and government regulation.

Honestly, I cringe to say it, but it's possible that if a vote were taken in Lancaster, Wal-Mart might win.

But, I thought they were going to win in California, and they didn't.

Makes ya wonder.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I dont know why anyone would drop walmart into a comunity with existing businesses. IT's senseless in some cases. It's like you ruin a good balance of a community in some cases.

Thread Information