Thread: Lancaster's Vision.

Lancaster's Vision.

I watch the newspapers and other sources regularly. I see a lot of discussion on various things going on in Lancaster (commercial development, residential development, school construction, retail development, etc). It's very intriguing.

What is Lancaster's vision? I'm sure there's many answers to that. But, let's narrow it down... What is the Supervisor's vision for the Town? Does he see it following (some 20-30 years behind) Amherst? Does he see the office park creation as a primary element of the future of Lancaster? Does he want it to remain rural or suburban or urban?

From the outside looking in, I cannot tell... so I'd love to know what the deal is in Lancaster. Oh, and where does the Village of Lancaster fall into this equation?

Lancaster's Vision?

The town board - turn Lancaster into another paved over, big box wasteland.

The residents - fight to keep Lancasters unique character.

Where does the village fit in? The village is unique in that it still retains it's character. With the exception of a drug store chain, there are no Mcapplebeethankgoditswalmartvanilla chain stores. The restaurants and businesses are locally owned and operated and care about their customers. While the state imposed the unnecessary uglification of Broadway, the existing architecture mitigated the ugly. On the other hand, the village just completed a streetscape on Central Avenue that harmonizes with the architecture.

There are very few neighborhoods in the village where the houses fell off the end of the corporate assembly line. After a night out on the town, the enibriated can still identify their houses.

Unfortunately, the masturbation plan recently approved for this area includes the possibility densifying a fully developed village.

What's the Village's vision. Mostly, leave us alone, we're doing just fine, thank you.

Interesting. I happened to drive the entire length of Central Avenue three times yesterday. The streets & lampposts really look great.... but, frankly, the businesses look like they're hurting. I saw very few that appeared prosperous... and it's been like that since at least the late '70s.

The impression that I get as a visitor (from far-away Amherst ) is that the old timers in Lancaster don't want anything to change. They'd prefer to remain a largely rural area... and that if the long standing village business(es) close up, they'd rather not replace them with something new. In other words: Either status quo or nothing!

Just my impression.

There's really too much potential to let it go to waste.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    We need to define "progress" versus just "change".

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious
    Originally posted by WNYresident
    We need to define "progress" versus just "change".
    Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. ~George Bernard Shaw

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    True, new thread

Thread Information