Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mary Kless' Removal: Is This The Internal Matter?

Mary Kless' Removal: Is This The Internal Matter?

From the August 7, 2019 "Lancaster Bee"...

My local Republican Committee met to review results of the June primaries. Our chairman reported on what went right and what went wrong.

Lancaster is a Democrat majority town. Our committee endorsed and members carried petitions for candidates who expressed a desire to return Lancaster government back to the taxpayers. It saddened me to learn that local and county leadership betrayed the Lancaster Republican Committee and ran a candidate of their choosing.

This was a slap in the face to committee members who carried petitions for committee endorsed candidates. Lancaster residents deserve better. I demand an apology from Erie County Republican leadership to committee members who were led to believe they had the backing of county leadership.

Unlike “political party animals,” taxpayers rely on their respective political party leadership to listen to and respond to their concerns. Party leaders who put their agenda ahead of the welfare of the citizens they purport to serve must be called to account for their actions.

Mary Kless
    Como Park Boulevard
    Lancaster

From the October 7, 2019 Buffalo News...

By Jane Kwiatkowski Radlich
    Published

Mary Kless said politics had nothing to do with her decision to serve as an election inspector in Lancaster, where she has lived for most of her 78 years.

“It’s a civic duty for me,” said Kless. “People who are inspectors do it because they want to serve the community."

But now she's wondering whether politics is the reason she will not be doing the job this year.

Kless served as an inspector for 13 years until she was informed that the Erie County Board of Elections removed her name from the list of Republican election inspectors. She said she was informed of the board's decision on Sept. 23, after not receiving information on class offerings for election inspectors as she had in the past.

"They told me I no longer worked for the Board of Elections. I asked what I did wrong? I got the runaround." Kless said.

Ralph M. Mohr, Republican commissioner for the board, said Kless was not among the election inspectors listed for the November election because she made two serious mistakes.

“In a primary election, she handed out the wrong ballot to members of a political party, so people voted in the wrong primary election,” Mohr said. “She also handed out a second ballot to a person who had already voted. Those are the worst things you can do as an election inspector.”

But Kless questioned why she was not told about the infractions.

“I want to know the exact date and the instance. I should have been told that night,” Kless said, adding that Mohr "never told me what I did wrong. The people I work with would have said something. Those are serious errors."

Gregory A. Sojka, chairman of the Lancaster Republican Party since last October, said he believes there is a different reason why Kless was not included in the list of eligible election inspectors: She wrote a letter critical of Erie County GOP leadership to the Lancaster Bee that was published on Aug. 7.

"What happened here is the old boys club running her out,” he said.

Mohr has knowledge of the letter, but denied it influenced the decision to not renew Kless's employment as election inspector. He described the incident as an "internal matter."

“She wasn’t terminated. She made serious mistakes as an election inspector and when her term expired, it was not renewed," he said.
    Election inspectors serve one-year terms, from July 15 to July 14, Mohr said.

The loss of an election inspector comes at a time when more inspectors are needed.

The addition of early voting in New York State, from Oct. 26 to Nov. 3, will add nine days to the polling calendar, a change that will increase the need for election inspectors.

“Certainly when you add more days, staffing is more challenging, but we have inspectors who have expressed an interest in training especially for early voting,” Mohr said. “There always is a need for election inspectors.”

About 7,900 people serve as election inspectors in Erie County, according to Justin Rooney, office manager for the Board of Elections. Their average age is 74, he said. This year’s rate of pay, set by the Erie County Legislature, is $190. In 2018, the rate was $175. The hourly rate is $11.87, calculated for the 15-hour election workday – 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., said Rooney.

Kless remains active in the Lancaster community. She has served as a trustee for the Lancaster Central School Board and the Lancaster Historical Society. She worked 40 years as a lab assistant for Rich Products until her retirement in 2002, when she started to work part time as a proofreader for Bee Group Newspapers.

BTW, wasn't Ralph Mohr a party with an interest in the June 25, 2019 primary election for Lancaster Town Clerk?

From the Lancaster "The Bee," April 17, 2019...

Registered Democrat Diane Terranova has also filed petitions to run on the Republican line after the incumbent clerk’s party refused to endorse her re-election campaign, according to a release sent by Ralph Mohr, Desiderio’s campaign manager. Earlier this year, the Lancaster Democrat organization endorsed Cynthia Maciejewski for the clerk position. Terranova will now face life-long Republican Desiderio in the Republican primary to be held June 25.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 7th, 2019 at 07:32 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

The link to the October 7, 2019 Buffalo News article...

https://buffalonews.com/2019/10/07/p...B6IGbpT7iOavUM
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Ah, that pesky paper work. Coincidence?

Seems that "paper work" is being blamed for many things this election cycle. Did not Diane Terranova and Bob Leary mysteriously lose their Independence line, after being endorsed by that party's leadership, purportedly for "paper work" glitches?

Let's not forget that the Libertarian Party seems to have lost its position on the ballot in Erie County.

https://news.wbfo.org/post/erie-coun...qNTID4mznihRa0

Now Mary Kless.

Hmm, does the plot thicken?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They must have documented the issue when the "paper work" glitches happened right?

In the end it's a 1 year term correct?

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    They must have documented the issue when the "paper work" glitches happened right?

In the end it's a 1 year term correct?
    My understanding of the timeline compels me to ask this question:

Is it not "strange," or at least highly coincidental, that the "serious mistakes" which constituted the "internal matter" seemingly were not conveyed until well after the publication of the August 7, 2019 Kless letter to the Lancaster Bee?

Also, to what "primary election" does Mr. Mohr refer?

The September, 2018 primary, or the June 25, 2019 primary?

Mr. Mohr's comments are rather murky and ambiguous, IMHO.

In any event, assuming that the "mistakes" were made during Ms. Kless' July 15, 2018-July 14, 2019 term of service, and did not concern incident(s) occurring during her previous term(s), I would think that a reaction to the alleged transgression(s) should have been far more immediate and direct, just my opinion.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 7th, 2019 at 11:05 AM.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    All valid questions but the main issue is the position is an appointment with a 1 year term. Correct? Even if a person had a flawless record the "term is one year" with "no guarantee" of being appointed the following year.

Hey Mary:

Thanks for opening the door on this matter as it also relates to questions regarding faulty ‘paperwork’ by the Independence Party (IP) resulting in IP endorsed candidates Dianne Terranova (Town Clerk) and Robert Leary (Council) not making primary ballot.

Despite Mohr’s involvement as campaign manager for Desiderio (contesting Terranova) and dislike for Leary, there's nothing to see here, right. No trace of ‘conflict of interest’. Move on!

Mary, you have been charged with handing out a wrong ballot and a ballot to a person that had already voted and is the reason for your dismissal. I would think you would have received a correspondence notifying you of those egregious errors and your dismissal. You have stated not receiving such letter or never told personally of your mistakes.

You should FOIA for documentation regarding what primary, date of infractions, how infractions became reported, and why dismissal was not immediate.

The following statement is very troubling: Mohr has knowledge of the letter, but denied it influenced the decision to not renew Kless's employment as election inspector. He described the incident as an "internal matter."

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    Hey Mary:

Thanks for opening the door on this matter as it also relates to questions regarding faulty ‘paperwork’ by the Independence Party (IP) resulting in IP endorsed candidates Dianne Terranova (Town Clerk) and Robert Leary (Council) not making primary ballot.

Despite Mohr’s involvement as campaign manager for Desiderio (contesting Terranova) and dislike for Leary, there's nothing to see here, right. No trace of ‘conflict of interest’. Move on!

Mary, you have been charged with handing out a wrong ballot and a ballot to a person that had already voted and is the reason for your dismissal. I would think you would have received a correspondence notifying you of those egregious errors and your dismissal. You have stated not receiving such letter or never told personally of your mistakes.

You should FOIA for documentation regarding what primary, date of infractions, how infractions became reported, and why dismissal was not immediate.

The following statement is very troubling: Mohr has knowledge of the letter, but denied it influenced the decision to not renew Kless's employment as election inspector. He described the incident as an "internal matter."
    What Lee said is, as always, "Spot On!"

Folks, they don’t need a reason. It’s a term appointment and her term was up. She wasn’t “dismissed” part way through her term and she had no entitlement to reappointment. She’s not tenured faculty for heaven’s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Folks, they don’t need a reason. It’s a term appointment and her term was up. She wasn’t “dismissed” part way through her term and she had no entitlement to reappointment. She’s not tenured faculty for heaven’s sake.
    No doubt Grump you are correct, but I think that the article, in its entirety, goes to motivational reason(s) for the assertion of the non-reappointment option.

I just wonder if the article reflects the full gravamen of the entire interview with Ms. Kless, and her version of the conversation that she purportedly had with the suggested "Board" official/representative?

At any rate, the narrative of a heavy-handed metaphorical "crushing," for reasons sans details, of a valued senior just may not be well-taken by many voters,
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 9th, 2019 at 05:40 PM.

Yes, they don’t need a reason to not reappoint an election inspector, but unless there is cause to deny reappointment they do.

Commissioner Mohr stated there was malfeasance by Kless that resulted in her being denied reappointment and Kless contends she received no notification of the infractions:

Ralph M. Mohr, Republican commissioner for the board, said Kless was not among the election inspectors listed for the November election because she made two serious mistakes.

“In a primary election, she handed out the wrong ballot to members of a political party, so people voted in the wrong primary election,” Mohr said. “She also handed out a second ballot to a person who had already voted. Those are the worst things you can do as an election inspector.”

But Kless questioned why she was not told about the infractions.

I suggested Kless FOIA for records indicating reported infractions and who provided the information to Mohr that accuses Kless of the malfeasance. Transparency is critical here as both parties are making serious charges and others are informing me that there could be cause for Kless not being reappointed.

If there is no documentation attesting to the charge of malfeasance, should this not be considered hearsay and/or suspicion warranted that this action was politically motivated; especially with the shenanigans taking place in the recent primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post

If there is no documentation attesting to the charge of malfeasance, should this not be considered hearsay and/or suspicion warranted that this action was politically motivated; especially with the shenanigans taking place in the recent primary.
    Yes Lee, because these two narratives, IMHO, not only fail not pass the smell test, but they stink like Hell...

“In a primary election, she handed out the wrong ballot to members of a political party, so people voted in the wrong primary election,” Mohr said.

Would it not be fair to conclude that if people actually "voted" in the wrong primary, that those voters were apparently clueless as to the candidate(s) that they were eligible to vote for?

If those voters were so clueless, why would they have expressed the subject concern that served to bring the mistake(s) to light?

Equally, if people were well informed of the eligible candidate(s) on the ballot, would not those voters have confronted the errors immediately at the polling place, without resultant mistakes?

“She also handed out a second ballot to a person who had already voted.
    Did this person vote twice, or was this error corrected before it became a mistake?

If the error was corrected, was it corrected by another inspector or Ms. Kless herself?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 10th, 2019 at 02:47 AM.

Apparently, no one believes that the non-reappointment of the individual could possibly be legit?
    Is it at all possible that the individual may be suffering from some mild cognitive impairment?

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Apparently, no one believes that the non-reappointment of the individual could possibly be legit?
    Is it at all possible that the individual may be suffering from some mild cognitive impairment?
    Nah, I think HIS cognitive abilities are just fine.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; October 10th, 2019 at 07:45 AM.

Spot on....grump

Always remember there are three sides to a story folks. I know Mary personally, I am very fond of her. She is a passionate person who feels deeply about her country. I do know that she has been struggling the last few years. Again, I do know her well and have known her for 11 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information