Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depew Action Party Caught Taking Advantage of Students

Depew Action Party Caught Taking Advantage of Students

Bunch of good kids from Depew High School helped people clean up after the october storm. So the Action Party gets a list of the students names from the school, under the pretense that the village wants to send the kids a note of thanks. They take the names and invite the kids to two parties. Not one like it says in the paper, but two.

Both of them are fund raisers. You know, fund raisers where political parties pressure supporters to give them money for their campaigns by getting them drunk on free beer.

Then they rewared the kids by pressuring them to go door to door to hand out flyers.

When they get caught, Mayor Joe McIntosh lies. First he says its only one party. He admits beer and wine will be served but says the kids were gonna get pizza and pop. Then he says he talked to two of the kids and they said they weren't bothered by it.

The two kids were at the last meeting, with their parents. The parents were there because they were pissed and wanted to know what was going on. I can't believe no one talked to the parents. I was there and I did. The parents were mad. They thought the kids were being taken advantage of.

The Action Party hoodwinked the school by lying to them. Now the Superintendent and teachers are upset.

Theres something else funny in the article. Nowhere does it , say that teachers asked students to do this on the Action Partys behalf. Yet Mayor Joe told the paper that he doesn't know if a teacher solicited on their behalf. Where'd he come up with that? Did they get a teacher to work for them inside the school. No one mentioned it, so why did he say it?

How low can you go, taking advantage of kids who do something good, tricking them and everyone else into thinking they are going to get rewarded for a good deed and then using them to get elected.

The parents should be damn upset. These kids should have been honored-usually with a proclamation and certificate. These kids were used!
    Thank you to the students who took part in the clean up, and rememeber these politicians at election time. New blood is needed in Depew!!

What about the rumor I've been hearing that there were underage youths drinking alcohol (to the point of being intoxicated) at the Depew Action Party fundraiser/party held last week? Can anyone confirm this? Was anyone checking IDs or monitoring who was drinking alcohol?
    If true, that certainly doesn't reflect well on their organization...
    "And the bravest are surely those that have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it."
    - Thucidides

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer 88
    What about the rumor I've been hearing that there were underage youths drinking alcohol (to the point of being intoxicated) at the Depew Action Party fundraiser/party held last week? Can anyone confirm this? Was anyone checking IDs or monitoring who was drinking alcohol?

High School kids drinking alchohol and not stopping before they got drunk!?! Heavens no!!! What is happening to our children!?! Society has failed them!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    DO not spread rumors. This is the first I have heard of any rumor even close to that.

Action Party Generates Controversial Reactions in Depew
    By Gary S. Howell

A storm of political controversy is blowing through the Village of Depew. An official from Village Hall asked Depew High School for a list of students who helped residents clean up after the October storm. School officials were told the Village wanted to thank the students for their efforts. (1)

According to a parent of one of the students, her son received a commendation from the Village honoring his volunteerism. (2)

Now that parent is upset. Someone in Village Hall gave the list to the Action Party. They used it to invite students to two upcoming “political functions”.

“I had to sign a letter giving the school permission to let the Village have my son’s name. And that’s all I gave the school permission to do. I didn’t give them permission to give the list to a Political Party. The Action Party got my son’s names under false pretenses and now they are using it for political purposes. You have no idea how angry I am,” the parent told Speakupwny.

Depew School Superintendent Robert F. DeFilippo told the Buffalo News, “To use that information for any other reason, the district was not aware of it, and the district does not condone it."

The parent was extremely upset when she saw the tickets. “They invited my underage son to a party where they are giving away beer and wine. That’s not right.”

Two sets of tickets were mailed to the students. The first, for a “Meet the Candidates Rally” advertised pizza, wings, pop, beer, wine, and snacks. The second, for a “Depew Action Party Rally”, features the picture of a Depew Cheerleader and advertises beer, wine, pop, and finger foods.

People’s Voice of Depew Candidate, Linda Hammer, told the Buffalo News that the invitations crossed the line. Hammer is quoted in the News, saying, "There's beer there, there's wine there. They're enticing these kids to come into their party. It's totally unethical, it's deplorable."

The Action Party also sent a request to the Depew Student Senate, asking for volunteers to distribute literature. The request was sent to the government class. It was turned down.

~

Action Party candidate for Mayor, Joseph G. McIntosh, told the Buffalo News “the” rally was an attempt to thank the students for their volunteerism. He didn’t tell the news that the students were invited to two rallies.

Neither event is advertised on the tickets as a “Thank You Rally” for the students.

He also said the event (without identifying which of the two events) would be held in a restaurant. The Buffalo News quotes McIntosh saying, “This was no different than any parent taking their child to Applebee's or [TGI] Fridays.”

The parent interviewed by Speakupwny took exception to that comment. “It’s not like a parent taking a child to a restaurant, because the parents weren’t invited. If I don’t go, who’s going to supervise my child?”

She went on to say “My son wasn’t invited to Applebee’s; he was invited to the Polish Falcons. The Falcons isn’t a restaurant. I can’t go there unless I’m a member.”

The Polish Falcons is not listed in the phone book as a restaurant. It is a “Private Club.” However, non-members are welcomed and can use their facilities.

McIntosh told the Buffalo News that complaints about the rally were politically motivated. He said he spoke to two students who attended Monday’s Village Board meeting, and they said they weren’t offended by the letter.

He didn’t tell the Buffalo News that a parent took the floor during Monday’s meeting and complained. According to Linda Hammer, who attended the meeting, the parent was upset. The parent said the Village had no right to give the list of names to a political party. She told the board that she signed a letter giving the school permission to give her child’s name to the Village and not a Political Party.

~

“This is totally irresponsible,” the parent told Speakupwny. “Whoever gave the list of names to the Action Party should be fired. They betrayed the confidence of every parent who gave permission to the schools to give the names to the Village and the Village only.”

--------------------------------

Now why can't the Buffalo News tell the whole story like Mr. Howell does?

And I told ya the kids were sent tickets to more than one fund raiser.

And I also told ya there were parents at the meeting and they were pissed.

i think the person who gave the list to the action party should be fired. He probably won't be because he's probably an action party member. But of course we'll never know who took the list because they won't tell us. That's sort of like "CYA" and we all know how that works.

It's too damn bad the parents don't sue. I wonder if they could I mean because the village employee who gave the names to the action party shouldn't have done it. It seems the parents only gave permission for the village to use the names and not the action party.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident
    DO not spread rumors. This is the first I have heard of any rumor even close to that.
    Well does that make it not true?? Do you expect the Action Party members to make it public that there were underage kids drinking at their fundraiser??
    I imagine they wouldn't want that one getting out.

Listen, I don't even live in Depew and I don't have any axe to grind with anybody in Depew politics. But I do have it from a VERY reliable source that persons under the age of 21 WERE being being served alcohol at this event.
    And to me, that's just unacceptable.
    "And the bravest are surely those that have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out to meet it."
    - Thucidides

Well does that make it not true?? Do you expect the Action Party members to make it public that there were underage kids drinking at their fundraiser??

Listen, I don't even live in Depew and I don't have any axe to grind with anybody in Depew politics. But I do have it from a VERY reliable source that persons under the age of 21 WERE being being served alcohol at this event.
    I wasn't at this fundraiser. Some of the Action Party know who I am in real life and they no longer invite me to their shindigs. The last one I went to was when Joe Cipolla was showing his buddy Little Nicky the ropes. Little Nicky wasn't old enough to drink and I don't think he is yet. Anyways Little Nicky used to bring all his buddies to the fundraisers. Not just in Depew, but in Lancaster too. At the last fund raiser I went to, Little Nicky and his underaged buddies were drinking at the bar.

Now before everyone gets all hot and bothered about how bad the Action Party is on giving kids drinks, I gotta say that I've been to a lot of fund raisers and have seen others where underaged kids were allowed to drink.

I wasn't at this fundraiser. Some of the Action Party know who I am in real life and they no longer invite me to their shindigs. Yeah, okay, I used to belong to the Action Party. That's how I know how bad they are. I quit. I've seen the light. The last one I went to was when Joe Cipolla was showing his buddy Little Nicky the ropes. Little Nicky wasn't old enough to drink and I don't think he is yet. Anyways Little Nicky used to bring all his buddies to the fundraisers. Not just in Depew, but in Lancaster too. At the last fund raiser I went to, Little Nicky and his underaged buddies were drinking at the bar.

Now before everyone gets all hot and bothered about how bad the Action Party is on giving kids drinks, I gotta say that I've been to a lot of fund raisers and have seen others where underaged kids were allowed to drink.

Now the Polish Falcons is different. Their bartenders will not give kids drinks. I've been at at couple of fundraisers there and I've never seen kids get drinks from the bar. I've seen kids steal beers from tables. But not get drinks from the bar. The Action Party used to have their fundraisers at a veterans post on Broadway. That's where Little Nicky and his pals were served alcohol.

I was at the fund raiser and didn't see underage drinking going on. There was, however, a cute kindergärtner proudly drinking water instead of pop. The rest of the kids were younger than that one. There weren't a lot of young adults. I have to admit that I didn't personally go and check everyone's drink to see if there was alcohol in them or not. No one seemed out of the ordinary. I really don't know what on earth you're speaking of.
    I was at the last DAP meeting, I do know that there are high school students invited for pizza as a way of saying thank you for helping out.
    Of course they'll try to recruit young adults to serve the public with them. They'd be foolish not to try. How do you suggest any political party, not just the DAP, get young adults interested in civic matters? Food usually transcends the ages, especially pizza for older teens and young adults.

Mesue wrote:

I was at the last DAP meeting, I do know that there are high school students invited for pizza as a way of saying thank you for helping out. Of course they'll try to recruit young adults to serve the public with them.

They'd be foolish not to try. How do you suggest any political party, not just the DAP, get young adults interested in civic matters
    Not everyone shares your beliefs. A friend read the DAP article on SpeakUp WNY and thought it was very good. This friend told me the following:

A government teacher in Depew H.S. had posted a sign up sheet on the classroom, telling students that they will have fulfilled their government class obligation if they signed up.

This was in addition to the happenings with the parent receiving the letter and tickets. I have copies of the letter sent by the Action Party as well as the tickets. While the Village could have honored the kids that participated in the cleanup in October, it was turned over to the Depew Action Party.

The teacher is a friend and golfing partner of McIntosh’s. I want the school to put a letter in the teacher's file as to having done something shoddy. Mr. DiFillipio did the right thing and took the signup sheet off. Don't you think that this teacher should be sanctioned?

The tickets were for a fundraiser and the DAP party’s intent was to use the kids for distributing political literature.

Quote Originally Posted by pudge
    Mesue wrote:

Not everyone shares your beliefs. A friend read the DAP article on SpeakUp WNY and thought it was very good. This friend told me the following:

A government teacher in Depew H.S. had posted a sign up sheet on the classroom, telling students that they will have fulfilled their government class obligation if they signed up.

This was in addition to the happenings with the parent receiving the letter and tickets. I have copies of the letter sent by the Action Party as well as the tickets. While the Village could have honored the kids that participated in the cleanup in October, it was turned over to the Depew Action Party.

The teacher is a friend and golfing partner of McIntosh’s. I want the school to put a letter in the teacher's file as to having done something shoddy. Mr. DiFillipio did the right thing and took the signup sheet off. Don't you think that this teacher should be sanctioned?

The tickets were for a fundraiser and the DAP party’s intent was to use the kids for distributing political literature.
    Was your friend at the meeting?
    Was your friend at the fund raiser?
    This is the United States of America, we're allowed to disagree

We're all getting off the point here. The point isn't whether there were kids drinking at this fund raiser. The Buffalo News said none of the invited kids went. The point is that the Action Party used a list of kids names to invite them to two fundraisers. The Action Party did not have permission to use the list the names were on.

The parents who signed those lists specifically signed to give permission for the village of depew to use them, and no one else. Someone at village hall gave that list to the Action Party and the Action Party used it. That was wrong.

The Mayor said the events the kids were invited to were being given to honor the kids for their service. They weren't. They were fund raisers where anyone who wanted to pay was admitted. From what I gather, the kids weren't asked to pay. But that's meaningless because the events were fundraisers and not events to honor the kids.

This stuff about the teacher, I don't know. There's a Mr. Wargala who teaches at the school who is a golfing buddy of the Mayor. If that's the teacher, than it's true. If that ain't the teacher, than it's not. If someone can confirm this, then, well, I guess it's true.

It's okay to get kids involved in the process. But it ain't okay if you don't have the parents permission, if you lie about the purpose, and lie about your motivations. The Action Party didn't have the parents permission, they said the events were to honor the kids when the events were actually fund raisers, and they said the motivation wasn't political, when, in fact, it was political, to get the kids to work for them and to make themselves look good in the eyes of the public is political.

School Official/Teacher should be fired!

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Mosca
    We're all getting off the point here. The point isn't whether there were kids drinking at this fund raiser. The Buffalo News said none of the invited kids went. The point is that the Action Party used a list of kids names to invite them to two fundraisers.
    Sir,
    Just a point of info; Unless there was another article , besides "http://buffalonews.com/105/story/22662.html" about this whole event -

No where did the Buffalo News article say the kids invited didn't show up.

Last point: The person at the school who turned over the list of names and personal info - without written consent from the parents to do so - should be fired.

#Dems play musical chairs + patronage and nepotism = entitlement !

This whole thing is a bunch of nonsense. The news article is a joke.
    "One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It's simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we've been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back."--Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information