Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Skyway

What continues to puzzle me about this area is the continuing mentality that believes in adopting half-way measures as solutions. 40 years ago, when it was time to build the failed subway, it was half-way. Build the Main Street stretch and the sit back. Either build out a system or don’t build it all! Instead the thinkers opted for half the pie and built a useless system that does nothing but hemorrhage $$$ that could be used to upgrade and improve bus service. Now, 4 decades later, the thinkers want to expand the system....using the most disruptive construction technique and avoiding every real destination along the way. We have to build a new train station (actually we don’t, there’s a perfectly serviceable one in Depew) so we hire “thinkers” and “planners” who recommend a site from which trains can depart in only one direction! High talker Higgins can’t stop whining about the Skyway so we hire “planners” and “ thinkers” who recommend a half way plan that will maximally disrupt traffic and leave part of the Skyway still standing as a “park” that will be unusable at least 6 months out of the year. The list of such nonsense is endless. All for a mere $600 million.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    If I called you a poopy face it wouldn't have made my opinion any more valid.

I hate seeing old buildings torn down unless the cost of restoration is so high it's not possible. Or there really isn't anything left to restore. Example.. We have 20 bricks from this building and we need to rebuild what was once here.

Once that stuff is gone it isn't coming back.
    Curious, WNYresident... do you think that the Skyway has any potential to become a Buffalo icon?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Curious, WNYresident... do you think that the Skyway has any potential to become a Buffalo icon?
    It's an over pass that looks like any other overpass.

I just don't see it happening. I really don't think the contest winner's idea is something tax money should be spent on. The ongoing maintenance expense is going to be higher than the value it will have for the area. Just my opinion.

https://esd.ny.gov/skyway

I do agree with grump when it comes to doing thing 1/2 ass like the subway.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    View all 16 Proposals for The Buffalo Skyway Corridor

https://www.buffalorising.com/2019/0...yway-corridor/

It's an over pass that looks like any other overpass.

I just don't see it happening. I really don't think the contest winner's idea is something tax money should be spent on. The ongoing maintenance expense is going to be higher than the value it will have for the area. Just my opinion.

https://esd.ny.gov/skyway

I do agree with grump when it comes to doing thing 1/2 ass like the subway.

Only in Buffalo would they try and claim a brutal and basic overpass from the 60s a 'icon'.... freaking comical.

I don't agree with Grump in theory on the Subway. NYC has been building out it's network for over 100 years. Charlotte started its first line in 2013. The second line won't be completed until at least 2034. That's 21 years and for a booming city.

If Buffalo would not have taken a nose dive like it did, the expansion for the current line should have happened in the late 90s. But we know it didn't and why it didn't. But in theory, back in 85, saying they should hold off until the 90s to extend wasn't a bad move.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Only in Buffalo would they try and claim a brutal and basic overpass from the 60s a 'icon'.... freaking comical.
    That's all I see... a concrete over pass.

And if they want to spend money to make it an elevated "park" then just remove the thing.

Leftie, the nosedive had begun before the first shovelful dirt was turned. It never should have been started in the first place because the death spiral had begun. Charlotte only began its system after decades of sustained growth. It didn’t begin the system in the face of a declining population and a rancid economy. As for NYC it’s hard to find any comparables. It’s still being built out after a century but they didn’t wait 40 years between steps 1 and 2 either. The poor planning here was in commencing the project in the first place. Rode the NYC system a couple of weeks ago. Boarding was a struggle for survival and once on board we got to dodge a huge pile of puke left behind by some thoughtful rider. Made our way past that mess to a spot in the car where we got to watch some drunk try to clean up the beer he had spilled. Every time he bent over to clean up the spill he poured more of his 32 ounce Heineken on the floor. Lucky for him he also had 32 ounce plastic cup with a straw in it full too that he could sip from. An enjoyable ride all the way around. How can one not love public transit and relish spending hundreds of millions to expand it?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    "With all due respect to the sentimental value associated with it, it's steel and concrete. And it's unsafe," Higgins said.
    'The Skyway is coming down' Higgings touts plan that cost less, boost East Side.

I'd link to the article in the News but I hit my limit

40k trips/day on the thing... It is unsafe... Yet they leave it open.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    They do though. I really don't like driving over the thing in the winter.

When are people around here going to stop letting the agenda be driven by know-nothings like high talker Higgins. The man has no record of accomplishment. He has done nothing in life but suck the government tit. He’s driven the streets and so he knows which street lights can go? Really? Has he studied the driving and traffic control patterns on nearby streets to determine that theses are merely nuisance lights? Everyone knows that if they tear down the Skyway traffic coming into the city from the south towns will be a mess and that it’s unavoidable. It will require putting upwards of 40,000 vehicles a day on streets that are simply not designed to handle it. I don’t live in the south towns so frankly I don’t give sh*t what they do to traffic patterns down there. Hell, maybe the Irish in south Buffalo will finally wake up and vote that idiot out of office when they find their streets clogged every day with commuters from the south towns. But $600 million to line the pockets of Cuomo’s friends and contributors is outrageous. And, while I wasn’t here then, my guess is the the Skyway was built in the first place precisely because those grand thoroughfares whose praises are sung by Higgins, couldn’t handle the traffic in the first place.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    It will require putting upwards of 40,000 vehicles a day on streets that are simply not designed to handle it.
    But won't that traffic helps all the businesses along the path of traffic? The businesses will grow and produce more taxes to repair the roads.

Speaking of Brian I was told that Tim K will move into his spot and Diane from Cheektowaga will take Tim K's spot.

But won't that traffic helps all the businesses along the path of traffic? The businesses will grow and produce more taxes to repair the roads.

Speaking of Brian I was told that Tim K will move into his spot and Diane from Cheektowaga will take Tim K's spot.
    Doesn't the traffic-help-business concept rely upon the kind of traffic and the kinds of businesses. Morning commuter traffic would likely help a Tim Hortons location... but not likely help a Mable Danahy location. And if the roads cannot handle 40k trips, people would likely get frustrated and find a better way.

I can’t speak for everyone but for myself I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be doing a lot of shopping on the east side...coming or going. Well, unless I need an illegal gun purchased from a “convenience store” there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information