Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Skyway

The Skyway

So another idiot plan, paid for with taxpayer money. I’m pretty sure that a viewing deck from the top of the Skyway for pedestrians and bicyclists will be a huge hit from November through April. Even the shoe shine rag acknowledges that the Embarcadero in San Francisco was removed because of irreparable earthquake damage and not to free up development land. And we’ve all seen the tremendous success of economic development projects across the state, virtually empty solar panel facilities, a movie production facility given away to a county because it never even opened, plans for facilities at a SUNY technical college abandoned before construction due to blatant irregularities in the bidding process. All brought to you at taxpayer expense by Il Douche. Peace Bridge, part 2, folks. Peace Bridge, part 2.

People, if it should be removed (and the only reason I’ve seen to do so is to put a stop to the constant whining and bitching by the editorial staff at One News Plaza and high talker Higgins) then remove it completely. Why leave an eyesore tower protruding into the air. Remember, it was the danger that birds might hit it that finally did in any plan to replace the Peace Bridge. How can we ever be sure that some poor near sighted bird won’t run smack dab into the side of this thing.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I agree with you. I was going to start up a thread on an article of the company who won the design contest. I now know why people just leave NYS.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Removing the Skyway isn't just a big road project. It's a big opportunity

Tearing down the Skyway is more than a big, expensive road project.

Think of it as an economic development opportunity, one that could dovetail with many of the positive things that already have happened at Canalside and along the Outer Harbor.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo came to Buffalo on Tuesday to announce the winner of his contest to reimagine the Skyway, with a plan by a Rochester group to take down part of the Skyway while turning a section of the elevated highway into a "Skyway Park" that links downtown to the Outer Harbor and offers panoramic views to cyclists and pedestrians.

Who knows how much of that plan will survive the lengthy planning and environmental review process, but one of the most intriguing elements of it is how it frees up a dozen acres of land downtown – and about 100 acres along the four-mile corridor – for development.
    https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/18/r...box=1568813305

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    People, if it should be removed (and the only reason I’ve seen to do so is to put a stop to the constant whining and bitching by the editorial staff at One News Plaza and high talker Higgins) then remove it completely. Why leave an eyesore tower protruding into the air. Remember, it was the danger that birds might hit it that finally did in any plan to replace the Peace Bridge. How can we ever be sure that some poor near sighted bird won’t run smack dab into the side of this thing.
    It should be removed because it's not needed and it's crazy expensive to maintain. My hope is that they demo the parts not needed for this plan and then run out of funding. Then, maybe the idea of just removal can take hold.

It is funny that there are people comparing this to the High Line in NYC. It's not comparable. One is woven in-between a dense urban environment and only 20-30 feet above the street level. This provides some protection from the elements. The part they want to use is over 100 feet in the air on Lake Erie.

Leftie, everything that gets “planned” and “designed” here ends up half assed. The subway is a prime example. And the proposed extension is another example, combining maximum construction disruption with the studious avoidance of any worthwhile destination. The Peace Bridge replacement plan began with the simple goal of replacing an outdated bridge with a modern updated structure that would better enable vehicular traffic. Like everything here it was hijacked by the usual loudmouths and jerkoffs who wanted to transmogrify a traffic improvement into a “destination” bridge that would draw thousands every year from around the world just to stare at it. The longer I live here the more I find myself paraphrasing Einstein that genius has its limits but stupidity knows no bounds.

WNY, start the thread! I’d be interested to read about it.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    WNY, start the thread! I’d be interested to read about it.

City of Lights wins Skyway redesign, will remove Skyway

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — We have a winner. Officials announced the City of Lights: Owning Our Waterfront design won the Buffalo Skyway competition.

“Taking home $100,000 is an idea that proposes removing the Skyway with traffic being redistributed over a series of new facilities, a piece of the Skyway high level bridge would be re-purposed as a Skyway park which would provide iconic views and recreational amenities. The city of lights-reviewing our waterfront team from Rochester, New York is our first place winner,” declared Howard Zemsky, Empire State Development.
    https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...-remove-skyway

Got to give the company that came up with the idea some credit. They saw the prize and went for it.

“City Of Lights” Design Wins Skyway Re-Imagining Competition

https://wyrk.com/city-of-lights-desi...edium=referral

[QUOTE]The $100,000 winner came from a group in Rochester, NY with an idea that suggested partially tearing the skyway down. The part that remained would be a park called "Skypark" that would offer incredible views of the city and the waterfront.

https://wyrk.com/city-of-lights-desi...g-competition/

From the article

Team: SWBR, Fisher Associates and MRB Group

I believe these are the companies

https://www.fisherassoc.com

https://mrbgroup.com/

What would it include?: This proposal would remove the Skyway, including its access ramps, in order to re-purpose a piece of the Skyway high-level bridge. This would become the "SkyPark," giving Western New Yorkers views of the water and recreational amenities. This would create a new "Tifft Street Extension" connecting to I-190, as well as a new lift bridge at Michigan Avenue; and a new road connection between Ohio Street and Fuhrmann Boulevard.

Read More: "City Of Lights" Design Wins Skyway Re-Imagining Competition | https://wyrk.com/city-of-lights-desi...edium=referral
    I'm surprised someone from Buffalo didn't come up with the idea. I wonder if this is going to be the next Solar City.

"SkyPark"

I guess it sort of has a ring to it.

"SkyPark. Come take a walk into the future in Buffalo NY" I just made that up.

City of Lights wins Skyway redesign, will remove Skyway

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKBW) — We have a winner. Officials announced the City of Lights: Owning Our Waterfront design won the Buffalo Skyway competition.

“Taking home $100,000 is an idea that proposes removing the Skyway with traffic being redistributed over a series of new facilities, a piece of the Skyway high level bridge would be re-purposed as a Skyway park which would provide iconic views and recreational amenities. The city of lights-reviewing our waterfront team from Rochester, New York is our first place winner,” declared Howard Zemsky, Empire State Development.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news...-remove-skyway

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    After reading the articles this episode popped into my mind.

The designers even tacitly recognized the continuing economic decay in upstate that has even gained steam under Il Douche when they stated that they expect the level of traffic over the route to dissipate over the next 20 to 30 years. As people, primarily those who work for a living, increase their rate of flight this will certainly happen. Il Douche pissed away 3/4 if a billion on a basically empty solar plant. What’s another $330 million on this nonsense? Don’t know how about you but I continue to be amazed by how little Cuomo’s lips actually move when Zemsky “speaks”.

Should be removed. Should be "replaced" with a tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Should be removed. Should be "replaced" with a tunnel.
    Why stop there? How about building out a 500 mile subway network?

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Why stop there? How about building out a 500 mile subway network?
    That would not be necessary, appropriate, effective, or efficient to replace the Skyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    That would not be necessary, appropriate, effective, or efficient to replace the Skyway.
    Neither is a tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Neither is a tunnel.
    Actually, if the Skyway is to come down, a tunnel is the most overall appropriate means to replace the Skyway... from every measure (yes, including cost). The "proposed" Tift route would be a mess. When the three lift bridges would go up, it would be a nightmare. I'd expect that General Mills and the railroads would not be happy with this plan... nor would those like the Coast Guard, American SteamShip, Nova Marine, Army Corps, Lower Lakes, Canada Steamship, or those that have prevailing seaway jurisdiction. No, if the Skyway is to come down, a tunnel should be the answer. I do not know where first responders stand on this plan. Sadly, the money that was set aside for a tunnel was highjacked for cobblestone repair, remember that?
    Last edited by Member 2358; September 23rd, 2019 at 11:23 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information