Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Skyway

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    Did seem like an odd reason to keep it. Memories from childhood driving over the bridge. I can understand saving older buildings because they are not replaceable for the most part. A bridge can go away.
    How about all those great memories of the auto accidents up there and people dying on it?

Leftie, you’re right on about Kirst. But please remember, this is a city that destroyed a once in a century opportunity to streamline and improve a major international entry point because its “opinion makers” and “stakeholders” got caught up in an idiotic chase for a “signature” bridge that people the world-over would come here just to gape at. That Kirst’s idiocy about fond memories of driving over the Skyway should be found around here is no surprise at all around. Easily amused!

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    How about all those great memories of the auto accidents up there and people dying on it?
    Never thought of that morbid thought.

Quite a few examples.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAg&uact=5

Maybe I'm stupid but I don't just don't get the point of keeping it if it's not needed. Is the burden of maintenance cost higher than what value it provides.

Never thought of that morbid thought.

Quite a few examples.

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAg&uact=5

Maybe I'm stupid but I don't just don't get the point of keeping it if it's not needed. Is the burden of maintenance cost higher than what value it provides.
    Clearly, the Skyway per se is not "needed" at this point. But there is a need to effectively accommodate the traffic that presently utilizes the Skyway. The last two construction seasons demonstrated that. And if (hopefully, and by every indication) The Waterfront - with its "new" cohesiveness - continues to draw increasing activity both day-to-day and event-wise... which, in turn, will add the need for traffic strategy. So, IMO, if you say 'tear it down', it should be followed by and XYZ will effectively replace it for now and into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Member 2358 View Post
    Clearly, the Skyway per se is not "needed" at this point. But there is a need to effectively accommodate the traffic that presently utilizes the Skyway. The last two construction seasons demonstrated that. And if (hopefully, and by every indication) The Waterfront - with its "new" cohesiveness - continues to draw increasing activity both day-to-day and event-wise... which, in turn, will add the need for traffic strategy. So, IMO, if you say 'tear it down', it should be followed by and XYZ will effectively replace it for now and into the future.

Taking the 90, and paying a toll, is an effective way to accommodate all of this traffic. Like I said before, the resistance is just about the tolls. How do I know this? Well it's because someone from Dunkirk or Lake View will happy move along side streets where they live to avoid paying the toll but find themselves outraged being told to take side streets inside of the city. It's a crock of ****.

Quote Originally Posted by leftWNYbecauseofBS View Post
    Taking the 90, and paying a toll, is an effective way to accommodate all of this traffic. Like I said before, the resistance is just about the tolls. How do I know this? Well it's because someone from Dunkirk or Lake View will happy move along side streets where they live to avoid paying the toll but find themselves outraged being told to take side streets inside of the city. It's a crock of ****.
    I blame nobody for not wanting to pay a/the toll. Particularly with the present third party involved. But I don't see that (the toll) as the core objection to Skyway removal.

I blame nobody for not wanting to pay a/the toll. Particularly with the present third party involved. But I don't see that (the toll) as the core objection to Skyway removal.
    It's the only valid objection even though it can be quickly dismissed.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Tear down the Skyway? That money is better spent elsewhere, developers say

Some of downtown's biggest developers aren't in a hurry to see the Skyway go away.

Downtown real estate developers are signaling a break with Rep. Brian Higgins and the state over plans to tear down part of the elevated highway over Buffalo's waterfront, convert the remnant to a public park and enhance other connections to the Southtowns.

And their opinions are consistent. It's too expensive. It isn't needed, especially with a major repair project wrapping up. And there are other, less ambitious things that could be done to improve downtown.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/09/30/d...box=1569853474

Even in the world of Democratic Totalitarian politics, where the measuring stick is being indicted or being accused of sexually harassing people and little else, high talker Higgins has a record of zero accomplishment...that’s right, zero, nothing, nada, nyet. Meanwhile, people with actual records of accomplishment oppose his hysterical, idiotic whining over the Skyway and his demands to waste hundreds and hundreds of millions of your and my dollars to rip up a highway on which millions and millions of your and my dollars were just spent for repairs and rehabilitation. When friends and acquaintances from out of town ask me why Buffalo has been a sewer for fifty years, I invite them to go online and research the backgrounds of the likes of Higgins, Erkel, Il Douche, the retard Poloncarz and the other “ leaders” in this area. Those who have actually looked have told me that it all becomes much clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post
    Even in the world of Democratic Totalitarian politics, where the measuring stick is being indicted or being accused of sexually harassing people and little else, high talker Higgins has a record of zero accomplishment...that’s right, zero, nothing, nada, nyet. Meanwhile, people with actual records of accomplishment oppose his hysterical, idiotic whining over the Skyway and his demands to waste hundreds and hundreds of millions of your and my dollars to rip up a highway on which millions and millions of your and my dollars were just spent for repairs and rehabilitation. When friends and acquaintances from out of town ask me why Buffalo has been a sewer for fifty years, I invite them to go online and research the backgrounds of the likes of Higgins, Erkel, Il Douche, the retard Poloncarz and the other “ leaders” in this area. Those who have actually looked have told me that it all becomes much clearer.

Cuomo
    Gillibrand
    Higgins
    Poloncarz
    Brown
    Peoples-Stokes
    Ryan

Just had to list it out. Holy sh*t that's a ship of fools. LOL.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I am surprised at the amount of money Albany is allowed to waste away on failed projects. IE: solar city, the film production place they built right down to the visitor center near grand island. It just never stops.

Quote Originally Posted by grump View Post

< snip >

...Buffalo has been a sewer for fifty years...

< snip >

...the retard Poloncarz...
    Overly negative and uncalled for.

Overly negative and uncalled for.
    Aw, gee. I’m sorry. I feel just terrible.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I sort of agree with Member 2358. There are many small groups who are trying to make their area of Buffalo a better place. Unfortunately we have many layers of "government" in our pockets which hinder a lot of progress. Or, we have decisions made in the best interest of the controlling political party/developers instead of the best interest of the community they are supposed to serve.

I was happy to read about people in the Lovejoy area pointing out bad ideas of the past. One example was converting storefronts to low income housing. Quite a few people stated it hurt Lovejoy over the years. A few in the group made of point of saying not to allow any more of that.

I read a lot of history of Buffalo. It was a cool place and politics had a major roll in my opinion with population loss. Politics in the city and suburbs. Let us not forget when the Erie Canal went away that didn't help Buffalo either. Then we had the suburbs offering tax credits/discounts that may have pulled businesses out of Buffalo. All it did was create sprawl which end up costing the community more money.

To call Buffalo as a whole a sewer is a bit much.

To call Buffalo as a whole a sewer is a bit much.
    But it's not. If you were to stack up Buffalo to any other major or medium size city over the last 50 years, calling it a sewer is acceptable. You're comparing Buffalo to Buffalo, which in itself is a problem and one of the main reasons why Buffalo has become a sewer.

The amount of corruption, insider baseball, and backroom politics that are the norm are best described as a sewer. You have had 1 party running the show for 50 years and I don't care which party it is...that's just a recipe for corruption and incompetence to grow wild.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information