Thread: Design presented for West Main extension

Design presented for West Main extension

https://www.lancasterbee.com/article...nsion-project/

Plans to extend West Main Street in the Village of Lancaster will re-establish West Main Street as a part of the central village’s downtown area, said Mike Leydeker from Wendel, an architectural and engineering firm in Western New York.

Leydeker and Sheila Ransbottom from Wendel presented proposed designs for the project at a work session Monday with the Lancaster Village Board and community members.

“There’s quite a bit more space for pedestrians, and that’s sort of what’s driving this,” Leydeker said. “We’re looking at developing a complete street and enhancing pedestrian access.”

Currently, West Main Street is a one-way street. This project will convert the one-way street into a two-way street to accommodate vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, parking and streetscape features. There would be 11-foot shared asphalt vehicle and bicycle travel lanes, 8-foot parking lanes on both sides of the street, and pedestrian zones with concrete sidewalks and trees on both sides of the street, between 14- and 16-feet wide.

“Essentially we’re trying to re-establish the character and continue some of the themes that have been developed by the village on Central Avenue,” Leydeker said.

There would also be room on some spots on the sidewalk for businesses to have outdoor seating, Ransbottom said.

“There needs to be a 5-foot path for pedestrians,” Ransbottom said. “There’s definitely still going to be room.”

The project also creates an addition of a mini roundabout at the new intersection of West Main and Aurora streets. Leydeker said mini roundabouts have been gaining in popularity.

“Roundabouts are much more efficient than stop signs or traffic signals as far as maintaining traffic flow,” Leydeker said.

The total estimated cost of the project is $2.5 million.

With the proposed plan, the current angled parking will be eliminated and turned into parallel parking. Leydeker said they would lose around half of the spaces they have now.

Trustee Paul Rudz spoke to merchants on West Main Street about the extension. One merchant expressed concern about delivery trucks shutting down the street.

“That’s something we’ll have to address during final design,” Leydeker said. “Maybe a portion of those spaces can be dedicated to deliveries.”

With the new designs, Leydeker said cars will have the opportunity to move around delivery trucks in the lane, as opposed to now, when a delivery truck blocks the entire street.

All of the ideas for the project have been formulating for years, Trustee Lynne Ruda said.

The goal for the project is to have construction completed by December 2020, to meet a deadline set by the state due to funding. Leydeker said they are on schedule to have a bid out for the project by the end of this year.

“What we’re looking for is long-term sustainability,” Leydeker said. “If we’re picking a color for concrete or something like that, it’s going to be something that will be readily available down the road.”

Information and updates about the project, as well as renderings are posted on the Lancaster Village website, www.lancastervillage.org.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    So Neubs

What is your opinion on the expansion?

What doesn't make sense to me is having a roundabout at the end of the extension and then a light at Pleasant and Aurora.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Won't traffic basically stop in the circle when the light is red?

Exactly. Especially when school lets out. What good is the roundabout with that intersection still there? Better off making W. Main a stop sign if that intersection is going to be status quo.

I am not a representative of the village and resigned from the CDC (previous owner of the property) almost 4 years ago so I have no stake in this project other than as a lifelong village resident and someone who loves the Central Business District.

With that out of the way, I like the project as a whole but there are a few tweaks that need to be made, IMO. I have always wondered why we still need Pleasant Ave if Main st is back? Couldn't that be converted into extra parking and frontage for new businesses? Also, the signal and circle in a row seem to create a bottleneck. Lastly, the initial proposed design all but eliminates the ability to host large events in downtown Lancaster. Not the worst thing in the world but definitely an end to the larger events held downtown.

All in all, I congratulate Wendel for the first crack and the village board for pushing the gas pedal and getting this moving. No design is going to please everyone and hopefully the final plan satisfies the owner of the property and the village residents enough to bring even more business (and patrons) downtown.

Matt

Wonderful. A roundabout with a flow limiting light. Absolutely brilliant.

Personally, I liked the idea of a roundabout at Pleasant and Aurora not West Main and Aurora. I also don't like a
    roundabout at Central and Pleasant. So, I hope they dropped that plan. I'm not a village resident so I have no stake in it

Matt, I do like your idea of closing Pleasant after the re-establishment of West main.

Georgia L Schlager

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Lancaster NY West Main St Extension

Quote Originally Posted by MaddMatt View Post
    I am not a representative of the village and resigned from the CDC (previous owner of the property) almost 4 years ago so I have no stake in this project other than as a lifelong village resident and someone who loves the Central Business District.

With that out of the way, I like the project as a whole but there are a few tweaks that need to be made, IMO. I have always wondered why we still need Pleasant Ave if Main st is back? Couldn't that be converted into extra parking and frontage for new businesses? Also, the signal and circle in a row seem to create a bottleneck. Lastly, the initial proposed design all but eliminates the ability to host large events in downtown Lancaster. Not the worst thing in the world but definitely an end to the larger events held downtown.

All in all, I congratulate Wendel for the first crack and the village board for pushing the gas pedal and getting this moving. No design is going to please everyone and hopefully the final plan satisfies the owner of the property and the village residents enough to bring even more business (and patrons) downtown.

Matt
    Well said, Matt.

I am not a Village of Lancaster resident and have no standing. I do shop at the current retail businesses and was there as a client of Furry Friends yesterday. I had to park some distance away because there were very few spaces available. Removing one half (1/2) the parking spaces because of the new design’s parallel parking proposal will have an impact on people with disabilities. Hope that is taken into consideration.

I do believe there's ADA requirements that they'd have to follow, but I'm not an expert of course.

At Monday night's Master plan Implementation committee meeting, Village of Lancaster trustee Ruda stated
    that she'd like Pleasant Ave to go on a diet become just 1 eastbound lane and 1 westbound lane and no medium.

On the village website, there is a street level view of the proposed West Main St. The parallel parking will reduce the amount of parking spaces
    https://www.lancastervillage.org/upl...d_sections.pdf

Georgia L Schlager

Thread Information