Thread: I Don't Like The Rule, But If It Exists, Enforce It Without Political Prejudice

I Don't Like The Rule, But If It Exists, Enforce It Without Political Prejudice

I really do not like the idea of government attempting to limit free speech, and I personally have no problem with the unrestricted display of tasteful political signs whatsoever.

However, if the government does overreach (my characterization), and restricts such conduct, the governing restrictions should apply without regard to political prejudice; no accusation, just my opinion

Earlier this year, political sign code violations where the subject of public comment here on Speak Up.

https://www.speakupwny.com/forums/sh...olitical-signs

Today, I have noticed some seeming violations of the political sign restrictions.

From my personal observations, it would seem that Mr. Ruffino's and/or Mr. Bruso's signs have a strong presence in the following areas:

Columbia Avenue, Warner Road, Doehaven, Laverack, Caswell Street, William Street, and Schwartz Road.

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with such sign displays; I would however have a problem with possible selective enforcement.

In that connection, I am troubled by the information provided by the office staff of the Building/Codes Enforcement staff at 12:10 this afternoon.

While acknowledging that the signs were erected prematurely, the office did advise me that, provided that the signs did not constitute a public safety issue, enforcement was strictly left to "the discretion" of the Building/Codes Enforcement official(s).
    To me, the concerning words are "the discretion of...," which in my opinion, sounds like some existent subjective "wiggle room" which may have the potential to put a partisan thumb on the scale in favor of one candidate to the exclusion of others, just my opinion of course.

I do trust that the enforcement official(s) will apply justice equally to all political persuasions.

On an ancillary issue, it is my understanding that use of the Town Hall for political photo ops is subject to the favorable disposition of an application for approval.

20190610_183125 (1).jpg

20190610_183232 (1).jpg

My question: Was/is Council Ruffino, et. al. in compliance with those approval procedures?

Ruffino in Town Hall Chambers.jpg
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 9th, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Add to the list of streets with what might be termed "premature" signs: Aurora Street, Broadway, Erie Street, Lake Avenue, Hall Road, and Bowen Road.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

This is the Resolution that Council Member Ruffino voted "YES" to on January 5, 2015...

...and these appear to be the governing regulations for that resolution...

...and this is the picture that was taken in a Town Hall office, apparently sometime between January 1, 2019 and June 25, 2019...

...and this is what is reflected in the Lancaster Town Clerk's records concerning the required application and prior approval for use of the Town Hall...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 10th, 2019 at 03:19 PM.

JUST SOME QUESTIONS AND THOUGHTS BASED ON MY OPINIONS AND IMPRESSIONS:

Good Heavens, does Mr. Ruffino think he is exempt from the rules governing sign erection and use of the Town Hall for photographic opportunities?

As in the case regarding the January 5, 2015 Resolution concerning prior approval for Town Hall usage, does Mr. Ruffino frequently cast "showboat votes" with no intention of personally honoring the law(s) that he seemingly imposes on others?

I further understand that there have been concerns about his alleged use of his cell phone during public Town Council sessions. If those concerns are true, why does Mr. Ruffino not seem to observe the expected respectful attention attendant to the people's public business?

In that connection, if true, I believe Mr. Ruffino's alleged behavior would NOT be a good example for any possible observing, children.

Moreover, again if true, such alleged behavior suggests to me that Mr. Ruffino appears to hold in contempt the people whom he represents, which in my opinion, may raise suspicions of a blatant disrespect for his elected office. Again, just my humble opinion.

Lastly, although Mr. Ruffino has claimed to be "for the people,"* why does he give many, myself included, the impression that he does not honor the will of the people as expressed by the 2019 Democrat Primary voter, in that he appears, at least to me, to be unsupportive of an outstanding incumbent Democrat Town Clerk Diane Terranova?

Just my opinions and perspectives.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 10th, 2019 at 06:16 PM.

'Well, there you go again..."

IMG_5742 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

Lastly, although Mr. Ruffino has claimed to be "for the people,"* why does he give many, myself included, the impression that he does not honor the will of the people as expressed by the 2019 Democrat Primary voter, in that he appears, at least to me, to be unsupportive of an outstanding incumbent Democrat Town Clerk Diane Terranova?
    That photo in my opinion, illustrates the "Lancaster Democrat Machine Team."

Just my opinion of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; September 10th, 2019 at 09:42 PM.

Thread Information