August 19 agenda

Here we go again

On this same resolution on July 15, the vote was
    COUNCIL MEMBER DICKMAN VOTED NO
    COUNCIL MEMBER GACZEWSKI VOTED NO
    COUNCIL MEMBER RUFFINO VOTED NO
    COUNCIL MEMBER WALTER VOTED YES
    SUPERVISOR COLEMAN VOTED YES

It looks like Gaczewski will be absent from this meeting as her Westwood park and Senior Center resolutions are being presented by Coleman.

Georgia L Schlager

So, has Adam Dickman gone liberal?

As you wouldn't think the supervisor would put up this resolution again unless she had the votes

Maybe Miss Conservative will come to vote or has she changed her mind and doesn't want the public and her party backers to know?

These are just questions going through my mind Just thinking out loud

Maybe some of you people with connections will fill in the blanks.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    So, has Adam Dickman gone liberal?

As you wouldn't think the supervisor would put up this resolution again unless she had the votes

Maybe Miss Conservative will come to vote or has she changed her mind and doesn't want the public and her party backers to know?

These are just questions going through my mind Just thinking out loud

Maybe some of you people with connections will fill in the blanks.
    Your ‘inferences’ puzzle me in that you left out Democrat Ron Ruffino as the possible flip-flopper – although I would be very surprised as he would be most unlikely (IMHO) to support a position created by Supervisor Coleman that would not favor his agenda.

That said, if there is a board member flip-flopper they better have a very good reason for changing their vote.

I would hope to hear in the work session and/or at the regular board meeting clarification on the following:

What is the need for this position to be filled as a part-time permanent position – working no more than nineteen and three-quarter hours for week? I well understand the value of having resigning payroll supervisor Fay Morgan assist in the training of the newly elected payroll supervisor until Ms. Voight gets acclimated. The town has not increased in employment size where there was a need for an assistant voiced by Ms. Morgan. Why the need now for a payroll Deputy Supervisor position creation?

The new payroll supervisor’s contract calls for a starting annual salary of $47,569: on step which represents 85% of full salary of $55,963. The current payroll supervisor earns $60,021 (2019 budget). Good news for taxpayers, eh? So far!

Current payroll supervisor Fay earns $28.86 per hour. Ms. Voight will earn $22.87 per hour as a starting salary and progress to $26.91 per hour. Upon resignation and being appointed Deputy Payroll Supervisor, Ms. Fay is scheduled to be paid $30.75 per hour – a higher hourly rate than the Payroll Supervisor. WTF is that all about?

If I were to hear someone say: “Yeah, but she is not going to get benefits,” I would find that amusing as no part-time town position includes benefits.

So, is the town also saying that Voight will never be as competent as Fay and deserves less money? That Voight will never be competent enough where she will need assistance for a long period of time? Have we now reached a time where the town should consider privatizing the position?

If some board member will flip his or her vote they better have sound rationale as to why.

Lastly, Gorga, your assumption that Gaczewski will not attend the meeting Monday evening is based on her not sponsoring any resolutions – a reasonable assumption. If she will not be at the meeting, then that eliminates her as a flipper. So, it would leave either Dickman or Ruffino.

Coleman would not sponsor this resolution again unless she knew she had the votes. But if your assumption is wrong and Gaczewski does attend the meeting all bets are off. Then we will find out which of the three board members who voted ‘no’ to the July 15th resolution, and with all purporting to be ‘fiscally conservative’, gives a rational reason for the vote change.

2020 budget out soon. Can’t wait!

Ruffino won't be the flipper. He will not vote for an unbudgeted supervisory position, in my opinion.

The new payroll supervisor who started August 5th will have 4 weeks training before September.
    One would think others in that office would have been cross trained for each other's positions in the
    event of absences. We have over 300 employees where I work and our CFO knows how to do the payroll
    in an emergency. Wonder if the Director of Finance can assist in the training after the 4 weeks

Georgia L Schlager

One of the concerns voiced for opposition vote was that the competitive part-time Deputy Supervisor position was not posted and created specifically for Fay. Well, it was posted on August 7th and in less than two weeks, Fay is back up for appointment.

In addition, the need for this position needs to be explained. In a Lancaster Bee article that appeared after the initial appointment resolution was voted down 3-2, Supervisor Coleman declared: “I don’t think anybody wants 250 people complaining that they’re not getting their paychecks,” said Supervisor Johanna Coleman at Monday’s work session. “We really are very, very short handed so what we would like to do is create a part-time position so that [Morgan Fay] will be able to start working for us part-time. Then, we’ll have a back up not only for her, but also Jean Farmer, who has been telling everyone she is going to be retiring sooner than later.”

Coleman later in the Bee article goes on to comment on the hiring of Kristine Voight, of Lancaster, to the soon-to-be vacant position: “She has a great deal of payroll experience and she’s currently working in payroll. She does payroll for a municipal government. She does 1,600 paychecks biweekly and also deals with seven collective bargaining agreements for a school district. She crosses over fiscal years, which can get very complicated. We think we have a good fit,” said Coleman.

And we need a permanent part-time Deputy Payroll Supervisor, why? Ms. Voight seems more than qualified and competent to manage the position after her one-month training period ends.

As to Farmer’s upcoming retirement, hire her replacement a month in advance and have Farmer train her. Oh wait, I keep forgetting government is not run like the private sector.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Lastly, Gorga, your assumption that Gaczewski will not attend the meeting Monday evening is based on her not sponsoring any resolutions – a reasonable assumption. If she will not be at the meeting, then that eliminates her as a flipper. So, it would leave either Dickman or Ruffino.
    Or she may be aligning with the supervisor but may be conveniently not available for the meeting as not to publically cast a 'yes' vote.

Georgia L Schlager

Miss or Mrs Voight must have finished in the top three on the civil service test as she is being made permanent as oppose to provisional

Too bad Erie County to provide the Civil service exam scores and eligibility lists like Monroe county.
    https://cs.monroecounty.gov/mccs/lists
    Last edited by gorja; August 18th, 2019 at 03:54 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

It sounds like Mrs Gaczewski is closely aligning herself with Coleman. And Bowing out of this resolution vote to make herself look good.
    Oh the political games have begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanc View Post
    It sounds like Mrs Gaczewski is closely aligning herself with Coleman. And Bowing out of this resolution vote to make herself look good.
    Oh the political games have begun.
    Well, I was wrong, Gaczewski was there.
    She and Dickman flip flopped their votes.

The vote to create the PT Payroll supervisor position at $30.75 passed 4-1 with Ruffino being the only 'NO' vote

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Well, I was wrong, Gaczewski was there.
    She and Dickman flip flopped their votes.

The vote to create the PT Payroll supervisor position at $30.75 passed 4-1 with Ruffino being the only 'NO' vote
    Was Ruffino's vote before or after 7:27 p.m.?
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    ??????????????????

Well looks like Dawn Gaczewski’s games are coming out. First a no , now a yes

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    Please don't tell me that your post infers that Ruffino was on his cell phone again.

When I was able to attend meetings in the past there was nothing that would aggravate me more than seeing a town board member texting on their cell phone - especially when it was to someone sitting in the audience.

That is so freaking rude / ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chowaniec View Post
    When I was able to attend meetings in the past there was nothing that would aggravate me more than seeing a town board member texting on their cell phone - especially when it was to someone sitting in the audience.
    Perhaps a cell phone is Councilman Ruffino's equivalent of the Obama teleprompter?

In any event, he once said that he is "for the people." So why does he appear to not fully attend to the people's business on the people's time, or does the people's business and the forum of the Town Council bore him?

Methinks I detect a combined trend of overtly and more subtly reacting to Council business with what appears to be a complacent boredom.

Also, did he not prioritize his vacations and in so doing, missed four budget votes?
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; August 20th, 2019 at 11:03 AM.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

The town board by a 4-1 vote approved the appointment of Morgen Fay to the newly created position of Payroll Supervisor Part-time. The lone dissenting vote came from council member Ron Ruffino who questioned why this resolution was being revisited when it was previously voted down 3-2. “What’s changed Ruffino asked.” He was informed that where the job opening was not posted before as required by law, it was and there were no applicants.

I had posted several times that it behooved the board to clarify the need of creating and adding such position at this time. At the public comment session held prior to resolution voting, resident Georgia Schlager questioned the board on like concerns and received the following information from Supervisor Coleman:

Need for job creation

Fay will not only assist in training the new Payroll Supervisor but will assist in managing the duties of an office where the volume of work has increased significantly over recent years. The quasi human resource department is involved the town’s self-insured Workman’s Comp, Affordable Care Act management, managing new employee enrollment, software management, involvement in Collective Bargaining Agreements, etc.

Coleman declared the duties of the town payroll supervisor are more than what is listed in the county job description. “There is just too much work for once person,” said Coleman.

Cross Training

When asked if department staff were cross trained to assist other staff needs in time of emergency, Coleman replied they assist as best they can, but that there is no formal training. To do so would require the hiring of more staff. (Nonsense!)

Council member Matt Walter interjected that Fay was ‘burning herself out’. He added that he was surprised that the board did not hire a full-time person; that the board was acting fiscally conservative.

Ruffino’s objection comments

Unfortunately, these old ears had a difficult time understanding Ruffino’s reasons for not only voting this resolution down (again) and the hiring of Ms. Voight as full-time payroll supervisor (again). Job description and duties seemed to be the focus. His comments apparently disturbed Supervisor Coleman as she declared: “Ron, when was the last time you were in Town Hall and observed anything that goes on here; except for coming to town board meetings?”

Comments

Supervisor Coleman and council member Walter alluded to the human resource duties the payroll supervisor is involved in. Coleman asked Schlager whether she would like a copy of the job description obligations. Schlager replied in the negative. Unfortunate, as it would be interesting to see such list. Didn’t know they were made public. Would like to see the duties of the Assistant to the Supervisor.

It is still troubling to see that the part-time payroll supervisor will be earning an hourly rate higher than the full-time supervisor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information