Thread: Comptroller's opinion was justified

Tony Fracasso - Admin

Comptroller's opinion was justified

Excellent opinion in the Buffalo News

The Buffalo News.

4/5/2004

As comptroller, Andrew SanFilippo has every right to express his opinion on issues he feels strongly about, including minimum wage. He does not deserve criticism for helping to promote the struggle to increase the minimum wage. He did not in any way compromise his position or his fiscal policies by voicing his opinion.
    The push to increase the minimum wage is justified. The current wage, which has been at the same level since 1997, is simply not enough to live on. Too many families in this situation are forced to rely on state and federal resources. Raising the minimum wage would enable families to become more self-sufficient, placing less of a burden on limited government resources.

Raising the minimum wage would particularly help low-income families and may stop the poverty rate in New York from continuing to rise. Statistics show that an increase would especially benefit minorities, women, retail workers and immigrants. A minimum wage increase would also help the economy. Higher wage earnings will likely increase consumption spending by workers and cause them to pay more local and state taxes.

If the state government cares about the economy and its people, it will raise the minimum wage. This would provide a more adequate standard of living and strengthen the economy.

ALLISON MCCABE
    Buffalo

The Buffalo News.

East of Millersport and now on Facebook at facebook.com/absolivious

Minimum wage is universally harmful

Originally posted by WNYresident
    Excellent opinion in the Buffalo News "EXCELLENT" ONLY IN TERMS OF ITS BLIND IDEALISM AND DEAD WRONG
    The Buffalo News.
    Raising the minimum wage would particularly help low-income families and may stop the poverty rate in New York from continuing to rise. Until all the NYS employers (including taxpayers) who are obliged to foot the bill for higher payroll costs decide to either close up shop or make their products elsewhere
    Statistics show that an increase would especially benefit minorities, women, retail workers and immigrants. Temporarily perhaps, but only until the inevitable effects of accelerated inflation put them right back where they started
    A minimum wage increase would also help the economy. Higher wage earnings will likely increase consumption spending by workers and cause them to pay more local and state taxes. See responses above!
    ALLISON MCCABE
    Buffalo

Both Ms. McCabe and WNYres should enroll in Economics 101, peek at the Wall Street Journal once in a while and relegate their copy of the CSEA newsletter, upon its arrival, to the fine fishwrap and birdcage liner that it is.

The whole concept of the "minimum wage" is byfar the most damaging thing that ever happened to the US economy.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Oh i'm sorry i didn't mean i agreed with it. I just spoted it in the news.

The minimum wage should not even be considered as sufficent for any one who has to support him or herself, let alone a household.
    It is fine for a high school student working at the mall or a fast food place. It teaches the responsibility of a daily work routine with a paycheck as it's reward.
    But that is all it is good for.
    I was stunned by the remarks in the paper made by Andrew Rudnik of the Buffalo Niagara Business Partnership. He was quoted in the news as objecting to the living wage ordinance adopted by the city of Buffalo Common Council. Ten dollars and twenty five cents an hour for some one with out employee sponsered medical coverage. Nine dollars and change for employees with employer sponsered medical plans.
    This is not a lot of money. But it is what is considered a living wage. The bare minimum amount deemed sufficiant to maintain a household.
    He felt the city was shortsighted to require contractors of over fifty thousand dollars who deal with the city to pay thier employees.
    He said it could, not would but could, end up in excess costs to the city.
    It appears to me that what Mr. Rudnik would prefer is the responsibility for a contactors profit to be passed to the community as a whole. If some one is paid so little as to have to rely on social services to subsidize thier daily living, i.e. heap, food stamps and medical care, than the taxpayers is the one who ineveitably ends up incurring the cost.
    The contractor who under pays these workers shows an increase in his profit margin and the tax payer picks up the bill.
    This seems to be the agenda of this Buffalo Niagara Business Partnership, an organization that for some reason is given credibility by the Buffalo News as having the interest of the community and the tax payer at heart, but is actually a group of anti worker, rich, local, politically connected businessmen who pull the strings of our mayor and county executive by campagin contributions while all the time lining thier pockets with tax payer money by cashing in on the very kind of contracts with goverment that they advise against applying the living wage to.
    Who is this Rudnik who's words get so much attention in the press, and what makes him qualified to speak for me? What is his line of work? Where did he come from?
    I don't remember ever voting for him for anything , do you? Only in Western New York.
    "If you want to know what God thinks of money just look at the people he gave it to."

By the way, what happened to biker? I miss the old coot.

Thread Information