Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parks laborer hiring; clarification, please

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    gorja,

1. No, Melissa is not going for the Deputy Town Clerk-False
    I hope your sources are correct, because if the information posted by Gorja on the "Desiderio as tax receiver; Perish the thought" thread is correct, and my understanding of Melissa's property tax history is correct, Lancaster, IMHO, would have a Tax office controlled by two individuals with concerning backgrounds.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post
    I hope your sources are correct, because if the information posted by Gorja on the "Desiderio as tax receiver; Perish the thought" thread is correct, and my understanding of Melissa's property tax history is correct, Lancaster, IMHO, would have a Tax office controlled by two individuals with concerning backgrounds.
    Melissa's taxes were paid 3 days after the primary

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    Melissa's taxes were paid 3 days after the primary
    That is my understand as well Gorja.

If true, lateness in my opinion may be a disqualifying vice, and the payment of assessed penalties is not necessarily a mitigating virtue.

Just my two cents.
    LIDA Member Rinow to Member Ruda: You were a sitting Trustee on the Board. Did you help support Mr. Sweeney getting a seat on the CDC Board?"

Quote Originally Posted by shortstuff View Post
    gorja,

I went and did some research and contacted people.

1. No, Melissa is not going for the Deputy Town Clerk-False
    Hey Shortstuff, I don't know what you mean by "going for," but obviously one does not publicly seek an office as a presumptive appointee, when that position is subject to Town Council confirmation.

With that said, did your research exclude an exercise in historiography in connection with this?:

Quote Originally Posted by mark blazejewski View Post

The rumor regarding a possible appointment of Melissa to the position of Deputy Town Clerk, as I understand it, seems to echo a similar rumor back during the 2015 Town Clerk's campaign.

According to some very reliable source(s), Melissa it was rumored, was in line for the Deputy Town Clerk's position had Lindsay won the office. That rumor, according to some, emerged rather late in the campaign, and blinded many on the right. Some have suggested that it may have been a contributing factor in Lindsay's defeat.
    Last edited by mark blazejewski; July 23rd, 2019 at 05:59 PM.

Originally posted by shortstuff:
    But insider did tell me this one:
    I am to ask the question, which by the way is in public meetings: ……………………………………..favors for endorsements Hmmmm
    Very interesting!!!
    Speaking of which, I do have a question. If someone would happen to know the answer,iIt would be GREAT.
    Is there any family relationship between Bill Schroeder the village mayor and Harold W. Schroeder, one of the Regional vice chairs of the
    Erie County Conservative party?

Georgia L Schlager

Back to the thread subject: Hiring clarification

There is a resolution Monday night (#33)to appoint Connor O’Brian as a laborer in the Parks, Recreation & Forestry Department. This is the second hiring in this department in the past month and if you read the resolution (and the last when Wilczak was hired in July) there was again was no language to indicate:

• Need for hiring full time position(s) – retirements, resignations or are they job creations
    • Job description
    • Staffing and cost implications
    • Why O’Brian and not Speyer who was initially and adamantly supported by Councilman Ruffino and the Highway Department Supervisor?

Hope this gets discussed and cleared up at the work session or at the regular meeting. A large sum of money has been spent by this department to upgrade its equipment. An upgrade in equipment and technology results in higher productivity. Yet, we are hiring more staff in this department and not told why. Don’t we deserve an explanation as to reason for department spending outlay?

I was told the Park laborer positions were vacant positions.

Another rumor squashed
    Last edited by gorja; August 5th, 2019 at 08:35 PM.

Georgia L Schlager

Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    I was told the Park laborer positions were vacant positions.

Another rumor squashed
    What rumor are you referring to?

In listening to the recording of the town board meeting, I did hear you ask on department vacancies and heard Supervisor Coleman tell you that there were vacancies and she requested confirmation from Parks, Recreation, Buildings and Forestry crew chief Barbaro. Barbaro confirmed there were vacancies and that there was money in the budget for the two full-time hires. I did not hear whether the vacancies were a matter of positions never filled and that these were newly created positions or whether the vacancies resulted from retirements, resignations, staffing changes, etc.

At the time of resolution approval, the only discussion focused on Council member Ron Ruffino’s objection to Committee Chair Dawn Gaczewski being involved in the candidate interviewing process. Ruffino had made same such objection at a previous meeting when a candidate he felt deserved appointment was found lacking in qualifications. Gaczewski remarked that 11 candidates had been interviewed and the board majority agreed that Wilczak and Obrien were more qualified for the appointment.

That does not clear up the nature of the vacancies – especially hearing a part-time laborer had resigned and that a department full-time laborer individual opted to go to part-time.

Unlike the Highway Department where the Superintendent has hiring authorization and where the town board recognizes the hiring by resolution, the Parks crew chief recommends a hire to the board and they have the authorization to approve or deny that recommendation. And as Parks, Recreation, Buildings & Forestry Committee Chair, it is my understanding Gaczewski has standing to be at the interview process. Despite Ruffino’s rancor in not getting an applicant he favored hired, he and the other board members voted unanimously to hire O’Brien.

Still need to hear need for hires, impact on staffing, any increase in cost.

Need an end to resolution language lacking in details / particulars.

Need to have all individuals addressing the board to use the microphones provided so that individuals listening to the meeting recording can comprehend what is being said and not err in judgment.

Originally posted by Lee Chowaniec:
    Need to have all individuals addressing the board to use the microphones provided so that individuals listening to the meeting recording can comprehend what is being said and not err in judgment.
    Are you speaking of me, Mr Lee? Sorry about that

Georgia L Schlager

At the upcoming September 3rd, Town board meeting,
    these two positions will be upgraded from part time temporary seasonal to
    part time permanent

John Cook - Assistant Park Crew Chief - temp/seasonal - effective date 5/7/19 to permanent effective date 9/3/19

John Pilato - Forestry Supervisor - temp/seasonal - effective date 5/22/19 to permanent effective date 10/22/19

Georgia L Schlager

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information