Thread: Why would the town Union be against GPS in vehicles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Tony Fracasso - Admin

Why would the town Union be against GPS in vehicles?

So I heard that the Union wants the Town to negotiate language that the Town cannot use GPS or town video surveillance camera’s to discipline or fire employees.

Why would they be for it ?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    I see your point but then we could say why would property owners be against it. The only reason I could see for that was if the cost was totally prohibitive. At this point I don't believe it is.

Think about this. How would you like to have cameras in your home. You lend your neighbor Ollie a key because you trust them to do what you asked of them. You start to notice items are missing in your home when you come back from work. You decided to look at your saved video footage and see Ollie helping himself to your valuables. You go to the police with your video and they say "We can't use that as evidence because we don't want to. Sorry". It's clear as day it's him, time stamped and shows what he's stealing from your home. That wouldn't be right.

Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I see your point but then we could say why would property owners be against it. The only reason I could see for that was if the cost was totally prohibitive. At this point I don't believe it is.

Think about this. How would you like to have cameras in your home. You lend your neighbor Ollie a key because you trust them to do what you asked of them. You start to notice items are missing in your home when you come back from work. You decided to look at your saved video footage and see Ollie helping himself to your valuables. You go to the police with your video and they say "We can't use that as evidence because we don't want to. Sorry". It's clear as day it's him, time stamped and shows what he's stealing from your home. That wouldn't be right.
    That’s totally understandable but it’s apples and oranges. Your question was why would the union be against it? If I was a union member I wouldn’t want to constantly monitored. The town installed time clocks, cost a lot of money, where’s the savings with that? I heard it’s a fiasco, system doesn’t work properly.

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    That’s totally understandable but it’s apples and oranges. Your question was why would the union be against it? If I was a union member I wouldn’t want to constantly monitored. The town installed time clocks, cost a lot of money, where’s the savings with that? I heard it’s a fiasco, system doesn’t work properly.
    I heard they have problems with scanning fingers. I would assume there are two input methods at the terminals. Did the person who picked the time clocks have experience with that type of stuff including creating a baseline of clocked hours before they were installed and after?

How were we tracking hours before? That is a discussion for another thread. I started a thread on that back in the mid 2000's

I'm pretty ok with time clocks. They would have to be really screwed up not to use them. Countless businesses use them.

Our employees are not constantly monitored. We do not have someone sitting in front of a video screen watching every employees move.

If I was supervisor equipment would be monitored on large screens. Specially the police. I always thought it was cool when you would see in a movie a large wall screen with dots of where all the police cars are. Visually you would know what everyone is doing. A emergency happens at the mall you could just look at the screen, see who isn't on an active call based on the color of the dot and who is closest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    As a Democrat would say in their perfect world..."why not the HONOR SYSTEM"?

Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    As a Democrat would say in their perfect world..."why not the HONOR SYSTEM"?

Shouldn't we trust everyone?

Thread Information