Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Why would the town Union be against GPS in vehicles?

  1. #1
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    61,738

    Why would the town Union be against GPS in vehicles?

    So I heard that the Union wants the Town to negotiate language that the Town cannot use GPS or town video surveillance camera’s to discipline or fire employees.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,456
    Why would they be for it ?

  3. #3
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    61,738
    I see your point but then we could say why would property owners be against it. The only reason I could see for that was if the cost was totally prohibitive. At this point I don't believe it is.


    Think about this. How would you like to have cameras in your home. You lend your neighbor Ollie a key because you trust them to do what you asked of them. You start to notice items are missing in your home when you come back from work. You decided to look at your saved video footage and see Ollie helping himself to your valuables. You go to the police with your video and they say "We can't use that as evidence because we don't want to. Sorry". It's clear as day it's him, time stamped and shows what he's stealing from your home. That wouldn't be right.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I see your point but then we could say why would property owners be against it. The only reason I could see for that was if the cost was totally prohibitive. At this point I don't believe it is.


    Think about this. How would you like to have cameras in your home. You lend your neighbor Ollie a key because you trust them to do what you asked of them. You start to notice items are missing in your home when you come back from work. You decided to look at your saved video footage and see Ollie helping himself to your valuables. You go to the police with your video and they say "We can't use that as evidence because we don't want to. Sorry". It's clear as day it's him, time stamped and shows what he's stealing from your home. That wouldn't be right.
    That’s totally understandable but it’s apples and oranges. Your question was why would the union be against it? If I was a union member I wouldn’t want to constantly monitored. The town installed time clocks, cost a lot of money, where’s the savings with that? I heard it’s a fiasco, system doesn’t work properly.

  5. #5
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    61,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    That’s totally understandable but it’s apples and oranges. Your question was why would the union be against it? If I was a union member I wouldn’t want to constantly monitored. The town installed time clocks, cost a lot of money, where’s the savings with that? I heard it’s a fiasco, system doesn’t work properly.
    I heard they have problems with scanning fingers. I would assume there are two input methods at the terminals. Did the person who picked the time clocks have experience with that type of stuff including creating a baseline of clocked hours before they were installed and after?

    How were we tracking hours before? That is a discussion for another thread. I started a thread on that back in the mid 2000's

    I'm pretty ok with time clocks. They would have to be really screwed up not to use them. Countless businesses use them.

    Our employees are not constantly monitored. We do not have someone sitting in front of a video screen watching every employees move.

    If I was supervisor equipment would be monitored on large screens. Specially the police. I always thought it was cool when you would see in a movie a large wall screen with dots of where all the police cars are. Visually you would know what everyone is doing. A emergency happens at the mall you could just look at the screen, see who isn't on an active call based on the color of the dot and who is closest.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roman View Post
    That’s totally understandable but it’s apples and oranges. Your question was why would the union be against it? If I was a union member I wouldn’t want to constantly monitored. The town installed time clocks, cost a lot of money, where’s the savings with that? I heard it’s a fiasco, system doesn’t work properly.
    As a Democrat would say in their perfect world..."why not the HONOR SYSTEM"?

  7. #7
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    61,738
    Quote Originally Posted by joe d. View Post
    As a Democrat would say in their perfect world..."why not the HONOR SYSTEM"?

    Shouldn't we trust everyone?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    31
    The town union just took the biggest electoral knockout of it’s life and is in no position to make demands with a town board that, with the exception of Jerry Kaminski, won’t care one iota about their objections. The embarrassment has been so widespread that many union members are talking about trying take over the TCEA themselves to get the stink of Jablonski and Szymkowiak off them.

  9. #9
    Member gorja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    11,636
    Originally posted by WNYresident:
    I heard they have problems with scanning fingers. I would assume there are two input methods at the terminals.
    We have the finger scanning time clocks where I work. I'm exempt from using them but the people that do are always having trouble
    clocking in or out. Human resources usually has to adjust the sensitivity for those individuals or sometimes another finger may be scanned
    that works better.

    Have a GREAT day,
    Georgia Schlager

  10. #10
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    61,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheektavegas View Post
    The town union just took the biggest electoral knockout of it’s life and is in no position to make demands with a town board that, with the exception of Jerry Kaminski, won’t care one iota about their objections. The embarrassment has been so widespread that many union members are talking about trying take over the TCEA themselves to get the stink of Jablonski and Szymkowiak off them.
    The labor contracts have gotten out of hand. You want to see people paid fair for a job but enough is enough. It's just not Cheektowaga but many "government" ran services.

    You know what I find hypocritical? You'll get some lame ass elected official complaining about the price of gas or a cable bill increase. Maybe those companies want to pay their employees $100k+ per year, 6+ weeks vacation in some cases, be able to handle pension padding and stipends.

    Then the brain trust kicks in.

    We have some of the highest taxes in the area. Their solution is to allow taxes to continue to rise at a 2% maximum increase. Really? The solution would be to tackle the main issue why this is happening and correct that issue.

    And it's time for any government employee to stop being disingenuous. "I only made $75,000, I don't know where you come up with we make over $100k a year". Well let me explain. I consider the entire compensation package the "salary" You add in the cost of the health care package, stipends and benefits.

    When you compare quotes to have your furnace fixed you look at the cost of the entire job, right?

    If the average quote was $1000.00 but one company came in at $700 you would expect to pay $700 if that was the price you were told.

    You hire the company and cut a check for $700.00. If a week later you received another bill for "other items" that took the job over $1200 you would question what was going on. The cost was not $700 for the job the "full" cost was really $1200.00.

    This is why even sites like seethroughny.net are a bit misleading. They are not factoring in bene's. The "entire" cost per position.

  11. #11
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    61,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheektavegas View Post
    The town union just took the biggest electoral knockout of it’s life and is in no position to make demands with a town board that, with the exception of Jerry Kaminski, won’t care one iota about their objections. The embarrassment has been so widespread that many union members are talking about trying take over the TCEA themselves to get the stink of Jablonski and Szymkowiak off them.
    I asked someone who knows Jerry to ask him why he ran for a council seat. I always wondered why. Never received an answer.

  12. #12
    Member SabreTooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I asked someone who knows Jerry to ask him why he ran for a council seat. I always wondered why. Never received an answer.
    He needed another term to be eligible for New York State Pension and lifetime health insurance.

  13. #13
    Tony Fracasso - Admin
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    61,738
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreTooth View Post
    He needed another term to be eligible for New York State Pension and lifetime health insurance.
    I was told the town doesn't offer anyone life time health insurance anymore. Was that a fib?

  14. #14
    Member gorja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    11,636
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYresident View Post
    I was told the town doesn't offer anyone life time health insurance anymore. Was that a fib?
    It was removed during the HOltz years.

    https://www.cheektowagabee.com/artic...-best-for-all/

    Have a GREAT day,
    Georgia Schlager

  15. #15
    Member SabreTooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by gorja View Post
    It was removed during the HOltz years.

    https://www.cheektowagabee.com/artic...-best-for-all/
    Oh Gorga, you really think you know it all but actually you don’t. Lifetime health insurance is alive and well if one was hired before that article came out. That was written only 6 years ago. There are a lot less employees on the payroll that were hired after 2013 that will not receive lifetime health insurance. Think of all the retirees alive and well that the town is still picking up the cost, including Mary Holtz.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 29th, 2018, 07:43 PM
  2. I read somewhere that our town wanted to go electric for vehicles
    By WNYresident in forum Cheektowaga, Depew and Sloan Politics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2018, 05:02 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: November 27th, 2013, 08:09 PM
  4. Personal use of town vehicles
    By dtwarren in forum West Seneca Politics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: February 16th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •